engine wobble

duge

Reaction score
Hi all, I bought a 2006 2.0 tdi 140bhp s-line and when it's just idling say when I stop at traffic lights or when I start the car it kinda wobbles but when I'm driving its perfect and full of power. I cleaned the egr valve and cleaned the throttle body and they were bad dirty and are spotless now and I took the fan belt off to see if it was the air con compressor but no. I don't think it's an injector because it is so easy on diesel. I'm stumped? Any help would be great!

Does it only happen in first/second gear? At low speeds? Any strange whirring or chattering noises? If so do they disappear when you put the clutch pedal to the floor? Could be dual mass flywheel but I'm sure someody with a lot more knowledge than me will be along to provide a better idea!

Last edited:
check engine mounts, underneath the cat (normally dark purple liquid)

Thanks for the reply. No with the clutch pressed or not makes no difference at all and I can't feel it when I'm driving no matter what the speed. If the air con is on and I turn it off it shakes pretty bad for about 10 seconds and then eases off. And it does the same if I rev the engine up to 1500-2000 revs and let it off. Also when I done a real time info on the engine the throttle position was at 94% when it was idle.

Sorry forgot to mention I had a diesel leak out of the vacuum pump gasket and I changed it and it solved the leak. What do you mean check the mounts. I had a look at the and checked them for over play but they seem ok.

Think you will find this will be your EGR valve and inlet manifold clogged up with gunk(dont know what its called sorry).
Very well documented on here if you take a look through all the 2.0 diesel posts.
It leads to the engine shuddering, no differance if the clutch disengaged.
Dismantle, clean, reassemble.
Many will adivse of an EGR blank, dpf delete and remap.

I took it apart and cleaned it yesterday. It was clogged up bad but it's spotless now. I read somewhere that there is an anti shudder valve around the egr valve. Any ideas on that? Sorry I am a mechanic but I have never worked on this model audi and never came across anything like this. So ****** it's cost 8500e and I only have it a month

Same problem here mate, not got to the bottom of it either I'm afraid. There are so many reports of this happening on these engines but I've not found a definitive fix as of yet. Do you happen to have a smell of diesel when idling at all ?

I think the anti-shudder valve is directly under the EGR valve so you might have cleaned that already.

Yeah I did have a strong enough smell of diesel for a few weeks till I found the gasket on the vacuum pump on the back of the head was leaking. The gasket is only about 10e but there is a good bit of work to get in at it. Maybe I did clean it so. Any ideas why the throttle position sensor is telling of its at 94% when it's just ticking over?

Reactions: unitzero
Does it only happen when cold? if so there is a software update for the engine ECU that doesn't open the EGR as much when cold. (20% instead of 50%) fixed mine right up :)

Reactions: unitzero
No it's a little worse when it's warm actually but I might give the update a go anyway thanks :) how do I get it? Is it On vag?

well i got mine today when a VAG man came round to program my car to have towbar electrics.... yer i know strange link. but he plugged in VAG com and updated the software as a nicety. Dont know where you are but if its near kent look up DJ Hirst, top bloke.

Well I have vag myself just not as good at it as I want ha. Im in Ireland mate but thanks very much for the help. I'll see if I can get someone around here to update it for me. Thanks

I ran a check on vag on the injectors and they are as follows.
Injector 1-0.02 mg/str
Injector 2-0.64 mg/str
Injector 3-0.66 mg/str
Injector 4-0.05 mg/str
Will 1 and 4 need to be replaced??