URGENT HELP NEEDED!

ricostuart

Reaction score
Ok, I have the car up on the lift and trying to do a inspection of the bearings. I have all four of the bolts out, but the carrier will not come off! I have been trying for the last hour trying to get the ******* thing off! Any help?

It must come of if all bolts are removed, 2 for carrier to hub & 2 for the caliper if removing this seperately, assuming you've undone the brake reservoir & pushed the piston back a little as it may be that tight.

It must come of if all bolts are removed, 2 for carrier to hub & 2 for the caliper if removing this seperately, assuming you've undone the brake reservoir & pushed the piston back a little as it may be that tight.

I pulled off the caliper (no issues there) and all other stuff. Removed the 4 bolts using the correct tool that holds the bearing unit onto the aluminium strut. The problem is that the bearing unit will not come off. From what I can tell, it looks like galvanic corrosion (dissimilar metal corrosion) has occured which has essentially welded the two components together. I tried removing it by putting a long bolt via the rear of the bearing unit and hitting it with a hammer, tried putting on the disc and the wheel and pulling/hammering, tried using the car weight (while still somewhat supported by the lift) and it didnt move a fraction. The bolts still all went in by hand!

I have now put it all back together and have given up for the moment. What I might try is find a ball-joint breaker that is big enough for the suspension on the audi and take off the entire system and use the hydraulic press. I need to be very careful as am worried that the aluminium might not be strong enough. I may have to resort to trying to seperate the bearing in situ and remove it the very hard way.

Last edited:
Unfortunatly I dont have anything that will put in enough heat to be worth while. One of the few things we dont have at the garage. Don tknow how much force to put in as I dont want to damage anything.