Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    2nd Gear

Status

URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Ok, I have the car up on the lift and trying to do a inspection of the bearings. I have all four of the bolts out, but the carrier will not come off! I have been trying for the last hour trying to get the ******* thing off! Any help?

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    It must come of if all bolts are removed, 2 for carrier to hub & 2 for the caliper if removing this seperately, assuming you've undone the brake reservoir & pushed the piston back a little as it may be that tight.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    It must come of if all bolts are removed, 2 for carrier to hub & 2 for the caliper if removing this seperately, assuming you've undone the brake reservoir & pushed the piston back a little as it may be that tight.
    I pulled off the caliper (no issues there) and all other stuff. Removed the 4 bolts using the correct tool that holds the bearing unit onto the aluminium strut. The problem is that the bearing unit will not come off. From what I can tell, it looks like galvanic corrosion (dissimilar metal corrosion) has occured which has essentially welded the two components together. I tried removing it by putting a long bolt via the rear of the bearing unit and hitting it with a hammer, tried putting on the disc and the wheel and pulling/hammering, tried using the car weight (while still somewhat supported by the lift) and it didnt move a fraction. The bolts still all went in by hand!

I have now put it all back together and have given up for the moment. What I might try is find a ball-joint breaker that is big enough for the suspension on the audi and take off the entire system and use the hydraulic press. I need to be very careful as am worried that the aluminium might not be strong enough. I may have to resort to trying to seperate the bearing in situ and remove it the very hard way.
    Last edited by ricostuart; 8th August 2013 at 18:08.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Have you tried heat...?

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

6th Gear

Status
    brute force on these. not my faverite wheel bearing to change!
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

2nd Gear

Status
    Unfortunatly I dont have anything that will put in enough heat to be worth while. One of the few things we dont have at the garage. Don tknow how much force to put in as I dont want to damage anything.