climate control auto functionality?

macm

Reaction score
Hi. I am the new owner of a 2007 A4 Avant. I am confused about the 'auto' feature of the climate control.

Scenario
  • Outside temp is being reported at 25.0 C (HOT!)
  • Inside temps on the climate control are set at 18.0 C (Cool -brrrr)
  • climate is set to auto. (red lights illuminate auto on both buttons)
  • I can hear the condenser/motor? absolutely ripping behind the dash.
  • Issue: no air is coming out the vents although the vents are cold ...
  • Switch to Econ mode/middle vents (condenser shuts down).
  • Cold air starts blasting out of the vents. (blowing the cold air that has built up)
  • Cold air eventually becomes outside warm sticky air (expected)
  • Switch back to auto (condenser fires up)
  • Air from vents stops blowing
Any idea what can be the issue? I can only assume the compressor/condenser are working because when I switch to Econ mode, the air is absolutely freezing until after about 4 minutes it becomes the outside air temp. My car shows no error codes or error lights.

I am not great at vehicles.
Thanks for any assistance or opinion you might have.

Mac

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to the forum. Your first port of call is probably to have the car scanned for faults. You can either pay a small fortune to an Audi dealer for a diagnostic scan, pay a smaller fortune to a reliable indepenent garage for the same, or see if there is a forum member near to you who has the software (it's called VCDS).

If you click here, it should open up a forum thread about the location of members who have VCDS.

Good luck.

Weird! Does the light on the econ button go out when you switch econ mode off? If it stays on it means it's detected a fault in the aircon unit. Make sure the small grille between the re-circ and air-to-windows buttons is clear as the temp sensors are located behind this. The compressor is switched off automatically when pulling away from a standstill with full throttle (to preserve max engine power) but it doesn't sound like this. I had really crap aircon in my old A3 and it turned out to be a blocked pollution filter.

Hi Mac I think margin-walker means pollen filter. It's located under the bonnet on the nearside under the windscreen scuttle cover. Just unclips so easy to replace. Worth checking the airflow here first, leaves can block too. Check your fuses too. The dash display may not show a light even with a fault on the aircon system, so a plug in diagnostic check will be needed. Good luck with fixing it and please let us know the solution you found.

Hi. No vcds people here in Vancouver BC Canada. My mechanic is pretty good. I will see if I can locate the pollen filter first though. I assume I should feel cool air when the vehicle is clearly hotter than the requested temp.

I pulled the pollen filter located to the left of the battery. I assume it is the pollen filter (25cm X 16 cm roughly). I was then able to observe the flap motor. When in Econ Mode the flap motor was wide open. When switched to low/auto mode, the flap is closed. Is this normal? Where else does air come in if the flap is closed?
Also to answer the question about does the econ light stay on when pushed on or off the answer is the light goes on and off as you would expect. push econ (light goes on) push econ (light goes off).
thanks.
mac

Hi

You've correctly identified the location of the pollen filter. I don't know the answers to your questions about the flap or the "Econ" light, I'm afraid. I really do think you need to get the car scanned. Of course, our map of VCDS-users won't be any help to you, but you might still find one if you ask on an North American forum as well. Failing that, there is always the first option of paying a dealer or independent garage to do a diagnostic scan.

Either way, I hope you find a solution, and that you stick around on Audi-Sport.net, even if we are a long way way!

I pulled the pollen filter located to the left of the battery. I assume it is the pollen filter (25cm X 16 cm roughly). I was then able to observe the flap motor. When in Econ Mode the flap motor was wide open. When switched to low/auto mode, the flap is closed. Is this normal? Where else does air come in if the flap is closed?
Also to answer the question about does the econ light stay on when pushed on or off the answer is the light goes on and off as you would expect. push econ (light goes on) push econ (light goes off).
thanks.
mac

This sounds to me as if it is operating the recirculation function...:detective2:

This sounds to me as if it is operating the recirculation function...:detective2:
I wonder if the car has the auto recirc option but a normal climate control panel has been fitted by a previous owner?