Done today something EVERYONE should go do!

ricostuart

Reaction score
Ok, so by now you probably realise I am doing a ton on the car at the moment. So I was checking all the wheel bearings (they seem pretty good at the moment), I decided to rotate the wheels. Well worth doing that guys.

However, that wasnt the most important thing. When I had the car up a couple of days ago on the lift, I removed all the under plastics and undersealed the car before putting the plastics back on. Today, i decided to get into the engine bay and check it out. I pulled out the battery and removed the plate that it sits on (two nuts). I also removed all the pollen filter box plastics (3 nuts). Underneath the battery was a HUGE amount of dirt, leaves, twigs, and general crap. It took me about 2 hours to fully clean using the shop air, a dyson, and a load of other tools. There was very minor surface rust in a few small places, so gave that all a good sorting and used the remaining underseal in the compartment. I was suprised that there wasnt any corrosion or rot.

Tomorrow, might look at getting the headlights out and de-tangoing!

Was a thread about the chamber filling with water and leaves recently. So when I had a new battery fitted the other week I pushed the rubber drain bung under it out.

yes there was a recall to sort that
did you pop the bungs out aswell very common on the B6 B7 for them to block and cause problems under the pass seat

yes there was a recall to sort that
did you pop the bungs out aswell very common on the B6 B7 for them to block and cause problems under the pass seat

No, but I can go do that pretty quickly. What was the issue with the passanger seat?

water gets in runs under the carpet and ruins the ccm under pass seat

ah, well thank fk thats not happened! Will pop out hte battery tomorrow and pull out hte bung. Is there another under the ecu box?

i had this on my vw passat very comon problem and well covered on passat forums my rear passenger footwell was 1" deep on top of the carpet and that means its a lot deeper as theres a recess underneath the floor with comfort control unit in which corodes one of the first signs is alarn going off all the time for no reason it was a nightmare as i couldnt lock the car without setting the alarm so ended up having to leave it unlocked for weeks while i sorted it, the water builds up in the plenum under winscreen due to blocked gromets (best just to push them out alltogether) then it gets to the level of the pollen filter or sloshes on it while driving and runs down the ventilation pipe and that channels it to under the passenger seat , when i was looking into it people were so desperate they were drilling holes in the floor to release the water

I had this in my old b5.5 saat estate. Water and slimey gunk in the plenum. Apparently was a recall at vw and all they did was push the bungs. I pushed mine out and run loads of water through to clear the gunk out. When I moved the car there was 2 quite big lumps of sludge on the driveway

Didnt realise my b7 was susceptible to the same problem. Ill check it 2morro I think.

Good call

I know one for sure. If you pull out the battery, there is a bung pretty much under that. You may not see it if its covered in crap, but its pretty visible. Not sure if there is another. Will be looking today.

yes there is to the left of the battery by the big round thing ( not sure whats its actually called) - theres a webpage about it (though on a Passat - but they are basically the same layout I believe)

Interior leaking | veedoubleu dot com

yes there is to the left of the battery by the big round thing ( not sure whats its actually called) - theres a webpage about it (though on a Passat - but they are basically the same layout I believe)

Interior leaking | veedoubleu dot com

Nice find! The layout is near identical to my s4, so this will be relevant to us. I would advise (if possible) that this becomes a sticky?

I've got 2 goldfish in mine I will remove bung and put fish in bowl. Always wondered why I had water leaking from drivers arch when I stop driving now I know. Thanks