Changed my Diverter valve yesterday

psd99

Reaction score
Following this post last year:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s...66925-intermittent-turbo-audi-a4-2-0-fsi.html

I finally got my diverter valve changed on my 2.0T FSI
Got it done at a local place and it took about 10 minutes to do, I was able to keep hold of the old valve.

It actually doesn't look too bad:

Looking at the valve above I was a bit disappointed, not to see damage like others have seen on their valves.

BUT the difference in the pick up of the car is amazing!!!! I must say if you have this engine it is WELL WORTH replacing. For a small price it gives great benefit. I can really feel the power in the car now :)

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to all that helped me on here. :)

Reactions: mister.c.
Good stuff mate :thumbsup: mine was exactly like that, no apparent tears in the one I removed but the difference in the drive was fairly noticeable!

I nipped up all the intercooler hoses whilst I was under there as well for good measure.

nice one

good to hear that yours was similar too
car really flies now

you done a remap yet?

Well done.....if you are getting a remap you would need to have it done anyway. You have pulled the valve apart haven't you to check for skirt damage?

BR
Allan

I'll definitely be having it mapped in due course bud, just going about the usual weak spots first (DV/PCV/cam follower etc..)

After a couple of tanks of V-Power and some Archoil 6400 (fuel system cleaner) it seemed better too, I imagine the previous owner ran it on 95RON.

I pulled my old DV in bits Allan, no tears at all. It looked fairly new to be honest, so it did surprise me that the car was pokier straight away :)

Good man Pat...That must have been replaced before. Check the number on the side and google. I'd be a Monkey's Uncle if that was the original! Mine's was completely sh@gged at 110,000miles! Aye, the updated model is a millions times better and you'll need it anyway for the remap.

Cheers
Allan

The one I pulled was a revision C, replaced with a piston type revision D. Let's see how long this one lasts! Car has 51k miles

Well done.....if you are getting a remap you would need to have it done anyway. You have pulled the valve apart haven't you to check for skirt damage?

BR
Allan

yes pulled apart - there is no obvious damage to the insides of the valve

must be the new design that is better and helps the car pick up more acceleration

what would be the first thing to change or do to get a remap?

yes pulled apart - there is no obvious damage to the insides of the valve

must be the new design that is better and helps the car pick up more acceleration

what would be the first thing to change or do to get a remap?

I thought there was an inbetween revision of diverter valve before the latest one....maybe I am wrong there.

Quick Answer: You just done it Mate!.....Am no expert but if you are getting a re flash ecu upgrade wether it's a Shark, APR, BSR or MTM it will max at Stage 1, take you to around the late 240's bhp on a 2.0t. There's nothing to upgrade other than the diverter valve at that power. You should keep an eye on your PCV and if that goes you should cap it off or replace it. Clearly, it's gonna put a bit more stress on your clutch and brakes and stuff......but nothing more you need to do as long as you have it in good mechanical order. Maybe new Plugs, fresh oil wouldn't do any harm, and check your cam follower for wear....only thing I was advised was to make sure I only use 98 ron fuel and let the turbo cool down before switching the ignition off, as clearly it will be working a bit harder with the extra horses.

Cheers
A

Last edited:
I thought there was an inbetween revision of diverter valve before the latest one....maybe I am wrong there.

Quick Answer: You just done it Mate!.....Am no expert but if you are getting a re flash ecu upgrade wether it's a Shark, APR, BSR or MTM it will max at Stage 1, take you to around the late 240's bhp on a 2.0t. There's nothing to upgrade other than the diverter valve at that power. You should keep an eye on your PCV and if that goes you should cap it off or replace it. Clearly, it's gonna put a bit more stress on your clutch and brakes and stuff......but nothing more you need to do as long as you have it in good mechanical order. Maybe new Plugs, fresh oil wouldn't do any harm, and check your cam follower for wear....only thing I was advised was to make sure I only use 98 ron fuel and let the turbo cool down before switching the ignition off, as clearly it will be working a bit harder with the extra horses.

Cheers
A

thanks mate

I will read more into it
the car flew home haha

Hi need advice please would you all recommend a revision d over the forge or turbo revs and other such valves? I need to do this mod but not sure which is the best to go for?

Hi need advice please would you all recommend a revision d over the forge or turbo revs and other such valves? I need to do this mod but not sure which is the best to go for?[/QUOTE

The revised VAG OEM diverter valve is the cheapest and is very good and can handle loads of extra horses if your tuning, so I don't see why you need to go for aftermarket myself but that's my opinion.

Cheers
Allan

It will make a significant difference, even if the valve in there is perfect! :)

Called TPS for a price for rev d £50 +vat. So ordered same part from eBay £47 delivered.

Would anyone happen to know where I could buy the Rev D Diverter Valve for my Cab B7 1.8T? All I can see is everyone talking about DVs for 2.0 (checked other forums too) but haven't been able to find anything for my 1.8T yet... I could imagine that the one for 2.0 would not fit my engine, so is my only option to get it directly from Audi dealer?

I got mine from Awesome GTI. The original DV was in pretty good condition but it feels much better with the revised version.

I got mine from Awesome GTI. The original DV was in pretty good condition but it feels much better with the revised version.

Thanks UberFiz! I just checked their website and the only DV I can see for my engine is the £130.80 APR R1 DV... Is that the one you had in mind? If so I was hoping for the cheaper OEM Rev D instead;(

Thanks UberFiz! I just checked their website and the only DV I can see for my engine is the £130.80 APR R1 DV... Is that the one you had in mind? If so I was hoping for the cheaper OEM Rev D instead;(

Goapr website £117

Goapr website £117

I'm sorry guys if I'm missing something obvious here, but I'm still seeing only suggestions for the aftermarket APR diverted valve... Does it mean that I can't buy the OEM rev D unless I go to the dealer, or perhaps there is not even a rev D DV for my engine at all??? I would really appreciate if someone could clarify this for me...

Thanks Big Al! So at least I know that my best option is to go aftermarket... I believe, I've heard somewhere that the forge DVs suffer from stuck piston issues a lot. The APR R1 seem to be pistonless system. Would you still Recommend the Forge over APR? Reliability for me is paramount ( CVT tranny doesn't allow me to do much with my tuning ambitions anyway;)

Thanks Big Al! So at least I know that my best option is to go aftermarket... I believe, I've heard somewhere that the forge DVs suffer from stuck piston issues a lot. The APR R1 seem to be pistonless system. Would you still Recommend the Forge over APR? Reliability for me is paramount ( CVT tranny doesn't allow me to do much with my tuning ambitions anyway;)

I ran the forge for a few years without issue. They are easy to maintain especially because of where it is mounted overall a great piece of kit.