AH FabricationsVolks Autos
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ricostuart
  • 1 Post By ricostuart

Thread: A quick pic of my S4!

2nd Gear

Status

A quick pic of my S4!

Seems I have zero pics of my car so far, so took a quick one from my study window. Need to get the B5 perches on and will pop off the yellow indicator lens i think.

DSC00968-001.jpg
    V6 Quatt likes this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

ASC
    1st Gear

Status
    Painted grill?
    2006 Sprint Blue S4 Avant - 2.5" catless DP's - Miltek Non Res cat back - BMC panel filter - JHM remap - H&R springs - EBC TG discs - Yellow stuff pads - Matt/Polished RS4's

2nd Gear

Status
    yup. Halfords own vinyl paint as well. good stuff surprisingly!

ASC
    1st Gear

Status
    Cool. Did you do it on the car or grill off? I've got plastidip to try in the next week or so..
    2006 Sprint Blue S4 Avant - 2.5" catless DP's - Miltek Non Res cat back - BMC panel filter - JHM remap - H&R springs - EBC TG discs - Yellow stuff pads - Matt/Polished RS4's

4th Gear

Status
    Nice motor
    Torque the Torque

4th Gear

Status
    De tango the indicators....
    Torque the Torque

2nd Gear

Status
    first time i did it i did it all on the car. Was terrible. Cant get the paint through all the louvres correctly. Took more time cleaning the overspray than anything.

Best option is take your time, take off the bumper, take off the grill and the rings (and any badges) and hang the grill on a cardboard box or something and paint there. Get a much more even and stronger coverage. Make sure you leave it for a day or two as well, as it takes a couple of days to fully cure (the advise says a hour or so, but I find that it doesnt stick great for quite a while - especially on the chrome).
    ASC likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by V6 Quatt View Post
    De tango the indicators....
    Thats the next plan - and I think I will paint the chrome in the headlights too.

4th Gear

Status
    Done it on mine looks way better

Last edited by V6 Quatt; 31st July 2013 at 13:41.
    Torque the Torque

ASC
    1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for info.. I was going to try it on the car but maybe will take bumper off.. I've seen a few guides and it looks a bit of a PITA but I should pull the finger out lol..
    One more thing, how are you all de tangoing the lights? Looks good.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ASC View Post
    Thanks for info.. I was going to try it on the car but maybe will take bumper off.. I've seen a few guides and it looks a bit of a PITA but I should pull the finger out lol..
    like this.. B7 A4/S4: Clear Corner Mod/Removal of Bumper

looks a total 'mare to me.. but then again im hopeless with the spanners

goose
    Current:
    '08 Carbon Black BMW X5 3.0sd M Sport|Full white interior bulb kit|White LED Halos|De-badged
    '72 Sunburst Yellow VW Karmann Ghia Coupe - 1641cc|Engle 110 Cam|Weber 34 Carb|dropped spindles|Porsche 911 black leather interior

Past:
    '06 Phantom Black Pearl Audi B7 S4 - Milltek non res|BMC Panel|034 25mm RARB|SuperPro poly bushes|Apikol poly Snub|H&R Springs|H&R 10mm rear spacers|LCR Splitter|R8 caps|JCap|RS4 Pedals|EBC D/G disks & yellow pads|HEL brake lines|White sides/DRLs|De-tango'd

2nd Gear

Status
    bumper is really really easy to remove - 3 bolts up top, 2 each side, 3 screws underneath, and done. Unplug elec connections and possibly water hose if you have light washers. takes me 5 mins. once off, the grill is held on by a load of torx screws. undo those, pull off and get painting!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by g00se View Post
    like this.. B7 A4/S4: Clear Corner Mod/Removal of Bumper

looks a total 'mare to me.. but then again im hopeless with the spanners

goose
    doesnt look bad at all imo. Just time consuming to pull the lens off. Thats the bit i aint looking forward to! :D

1st Gear

Status

Have you painted the inserts on your DRL's? I was thinking about doing mine but was worried about glueing it back together then end up getting mist or even water inside the lights. Was it an oven job? how easy were they to do?

4th Gear

Status
    Yes - Follow the link guide above, but it does take time and patience, about 40 min a side I have done quite a few now.

Best to use hair dryer as not sure about the oven. Basically you need enough heat to pull the lenses apart but take your time!!
    Torque the Torque

1st Gear

Status
    i will be doing mine later today - eek!

just waiting for a call from my local indy to say the bumpers off to fit the apikol snub mount, and then i'll dash up there and take the headlights away (and borrow their heat gun)

they will also be doing all these other bits too :-)

photo(5).jpg

will let you all know how hard this job really is for a non-mechanical average joe bloggs like me

goose

ps. sorry for the thread hi-jack Rico!
    Current:
    '08 Carbon Black BMW X5 3.0sd M Sport|Full white interior bulb kit|White LED Halos|De-badged
    '72 Sunburst Yellow VW Karmann Ghia Coupe - 1641cc|Engle 110 Cam|Weber 34 Carb|dropped spindles|Porsche 911 black leather interior

Past:
    '06 Phantom Black Pearl Audi B7 S4 - Milltek non res|BMC Panel|034 25mm RARB|SuperPro poly bushes|Apikol poly Snub|H&R Springs|H&R 10mm rear spacers|LCR Splitter|R8 caps|JCap|RS4 Pedals|EBC D/G disks & yellow pads|HEL brake lines|White sides/DRLs|De-tango'd

ASC
    1st Gear

Status
    Nice EBC's.. good deal? Are the MTEC's done in?
    Might go for the bumper this weekend if it stops *** raining! Got my rear defuser painted the other week so keen to get the front blacked out. Just not sure whether to do the grill only or do the chrome surround aswell!

1st Gear

Status
    Nice EBC's.. good deal? Are the MTEC's done in?
    Might go for the bumper this weekend if it stops *** raining! Got my rear defuser painted the other week so keen to get the front blacked out. Just not sure whether to do the grill only or do the chrome surround aswell!
    yep - i warped the front MTEC disks after letting the car sit for 6 weeks and them developing some surface rust and deciding i could clear it with a number of high speed emergency stops.. the EBC yellows ate them for breakfast, an expensive mistake :-(

just started the CC mod.. bit nervy lol

cc mod 1.jpg

goose
    Current:

Past:

1st Gear

Status
    Yes - Follow the link guide above, but it does take time and patience, about 40 min a side I have done quite a few now.

Best to use hair dryer as not sure about the oven. Basically you need enough heat to pull the lenses apart but take your time!!
    what did you use to stick it back together? Do you get any condensation inside the light? Did you use a matt or gloss black?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by g00se View Post
    i will be doing mine later today - eek!

just waiting for a call from my local indy to say the bumpers off to fit the apikol snub mount, and then i'll dash up there and take the headlights away (and borrow their heat gun)

they will also be doing all these other bits too :-)

photo(5).jpg

will let you all know how hard this job really is for a non-mechanical average joe bloggs like me

goose

ps. sorry for the thread hi-jack Rico!
    No problems! The front brakes are a piece of piss. The rear brakes are a c**t!! gettting the rear caliper retaining unit off is a **** job!

4th Gear

Status
    use matt seal well with black silicone

Quote Originally Posted by Audibritz View Post
    what did you use to stick it back together? Do you get any condensation inside the light? Did you use a matt or gloss black?
    Torque the Torque

1st Gear

Status
    use matt seal well with black silicone
    Ok cheers pal

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Audibritz View Post
    Ok cheers pal
    is this required.. I just re-heated the black sealant on the unit and lens, and it went back together pretty tight.. plus the retaining clips and strap hold it firm?!?

that said - now mine will prob leak :-o

goose
    Current:

Past:

Neutral

Status
    +1The S4 looks nice mate, loving it. Think the de-tangoing looks ace though, should defo consider it.