2 Questions that i need help with - Would be much appreciated ;)

Kev Boy

Reaction score
Hi again,

I have 2 questions that i was looking to have answered if someone wouldnt mind.

Right, the first one:

When the car is cold on startup, there is a squeaking noise which lasts for about a minute and then when it starts to warm up its completely normal and silent. I have never owned a diesel or a turbo car before this one. So I am not sure if this is normal or not? Ive just been letting her warm up before i take off in the mornings.

Any Ideas?

**********************************************************************************

Second Question:

I am pooping in my frillies about this balancer/oil pump annoyance. I was wondering though, if this fails, could you write the car off? I ask because i have gap insurance for the time i own the car. Which means if it is written off then i pay my excess and when my insurance pays out, i get the difference of what i paid for the car against what it is worth at the time. So say i bought for £10,000 and "smashed it" (wrote it off) at market value of £8,000 they will give me £2,000 once my insurance has paid me the £8,000 of the cars worth at the time. So I could just run it without any thoughts whatsoever, keep enough money in a savings to cover my excess, and if it happens in my ownership i could just write the car off, pay my excess and then just get whatever money i bought it for back on it.It all depends on if you can 100% write a car off if this happens. Do you guys think this sounds like a good idea and that it would work?Cheers, Kev.PS: Was gonna put the questions in 2 separate threads as theyre totally unrelated, but didnt want to annoy people with 100s of threads when im only a newbie here :)

EDIT: DO NOT TAKE THE ABOVE TO MEAN I AM GOING TO SMASH MY CAR TO GET A PAYOUT AS PEOPLE HAVE BEEN THINKING!

Replace the words "smashed it" with "wrote it off". And everything i say after "wrote it off" is totally dependant on if it would be a write off if the oil pump fails (my first part of that question).

Just wanted to explain than to just delete it as people will see the comments below and think im a total scam artist lol. By deleting it, it looks like im trying to hide something.

Last edited:
The blatant suggestion of smashing the car up and claiming isn't really on mate! That's one reason people's insurance is high due to false claims!

Sadly mechanical faults happen to everyone sometime or another and I have to pay for mine so why shouldn't you.

Kev, I'm with Rizzini on this; you haven't really thought it through.

What you are suggesting is that instead of you paying for repairs to your car (if it breaks) the rest of us, in the form of higher premiums, should pay for you to get a new car.

Not the best idea you've had today, huh?

Really Kev........ do yourself a favour if your worried about it failing, get yourself a re-manufactured oil balancer shaft assembly/100mm hex drive key.

Thats a pair of ridiculous statements. How am i blatently smashing my car up to get my insurance premium. I hope to christ it never breaks. But if it does, with the milage that is on it it will likely be in a good few years and depreciation might mean that it will cost more to fix the thing than it will be worth.

Is that not what writing a car off is for?...

Im not being sneaky or anything and hate the fact that you implied (or pretty much stated) that i am.

Could you tell me if im missing something here like. I didnt expect the attitude, especially in ur last line jdp....... If the repairs cost (up to £5-6k (if the turbo goes too)) is more than the value of the car which in 3 years time the car will not be worth, so how am i scamming, sneaky, sly or whatever it is you are calling me...

EDIT: Macadoon (replied while i was replying) - yeh, im still considering it. Need to sell my old car first though then i will see whats what.

Kevin, you used the phrase "smash the car" in your opening post. How else where we meant to interpret your suggestion. After all, your insurance doesn't cover repairs for mechanical failure, so how else could you engineer an insurance write-off other than by destroying the car?

Wow wow! Hold on! that was not meant to be typed to read that. I know those are the words but please dont think im going to drive it into a wall or crash into it to set it up so my insurance will pay out.

A more direct way of rewording that drivel would be : If it fails, would the car be a write off.

And when i say "smashed it" i was referring to this happening. I just tend to go on a bit in posts.

When you say "it doesnt cover mechanical fixes so how are you going to engineer an insurance write off?" I didnt know it wouldnt be a write off as that was one of my question in my OP that you have now answered so thanks.

So Jdp1962, and rizzini7, please accept my apologies. I hope you can see that when i read it first and typed it, it was all above board in my head because thats how i meant it, just worded poorly. And then expecting to get useful answers i was shocked to see that you thought i was a fraudster, but genuinely, this is not the meaning of what i typed.

Sorry to all. Kev.

Last edited:
Glad we got that one sorted....Kev, I must admit I was biting my keyboard on replying initially to this post! hehehe Can't you get additional mechanical insurance from the vendor which covers the failure of the oil pump? I know when I bought my Bus last year,the breaker for the deal was the garage threw in 2 years engine cover insurance which covers all major engine components from"sudden death" except clutch, breaks etc etc. I am presuming you bought it from a dealer?

BR

first question sounds like ac pulley common fault. replaced my one last week and all good.