Saloon Roof Racks?

tweaked9107

Reaction score
I've just purchased a couple of new Kayaks which means I'm regrettably going to need a roof rack for my B7 Audi A4 Saloon.

I was hoping to be able to get one that can be put on/taken off in a few minutes, so that I don't have to drive around with it on all the time.

Anyone seen anything like this?

OEM Audi roof bars and Thule Kayak holders or Thule bars and the Kayak holders?

I've OEM audi bars that I use with Thule bike racks. I think they're great, easy and quick to fit/remove(10 mins), very secure. I never leave them on for any longer than I require them, make sure the car is always clean before fitting and they've not marked my paintwork.

I wouldn't call it a rapid tbh lmao, I tried this with my S3 8L years ago for surfboard & it wasn't great & as sturdy tbh, left marks in the lacquer & had to buff them out, but hey try your luck as different rooflines for different cars, may be better system now.

I wouldn't call it a rapid tbh lmao, I tried this with my S3 8L years ago for surfboard & it wasn't great & as sturdy tbh, left marks in the lacquer & had to buff them out, but hey try your luck as different rooflines for different cars, may be better system now.

Well from that video it looks pretty quick. If it takes 15-20 minutes I'm happy.

As long as the foot pack is correct etc then you should be fine, but I can only say ours was crap & removed so as to not damage the bodywork.

I have audi roof bars, they are a good solid snug fit and take about 10 mins to fit, maybe a bit less if there's 2 people fitting them.

I thought I'd give the Thule one's a **** and they work perfectly to be honest. No damage or issues on the roof, and fitting and removing them takes all of 5 minutes. Very happy with them.

Excellent! If you're carrying f/glass kayaks and planning on J cradles, if not too late, then I'd suggest having a look at the Karitek cradles rather than the Thule offerings. (no connection). The problem with the Thule ones is that the design requires you to take the strap from the top of the cradle and secure it round the roof bar. This puts a considerable sideways load on the securing bracket which is (iirc) merely plastic. Mike

Excellent! If you're carrying f/glass kayaks and planning on J cradles, if not too late, then I'd suggest having a look at the Karitek cradles rather than the Thule offerings. (no connection). The problem with the Thule ones is that the design requires you to take the strap from the top of the cradle and secure it round the roof bar. This puts a considerable sideways load on the securing bracket which is (iirc) merely plastic. Mike

I'm hoping to be able to squeeze two 3m sit on tops on my roof so I've been looking at just a straight upright as I think I'm right in saying the J cradles won't allow for two?