New A4 Convertible - Disappointed

howatsi

Reaction score
Decided to go for a A4 Convertible (2005MY) in September, sorted out the spec (1.8T Sport Quatrro plus extras) had a couple of test drives etc, left the details with the dealer, only to be called a day later to say that the order book was closed because of the new 2006 model was arriving in March 06. What a waste of time that was - hopes dashed etc and really disappointed. The dealer rang a few days later and tried to source a similar spec from UK stock, but only came up with one with a RED roof and less spec - no thanks.
Anyway decided to wait and last week received a phone call from the dealer to say he had the spec sheets and price list for the new convertible, so collected the details and pulled together the desired spec. The 06MY car now has the 2.0T FSi engine as fitted to the A4 and VW Golf GTi, so thought looks good, better performance than 1.8T for not much more cash, only to be told that it was not available as a quattro - another disappointment.
Anyway thought well the GTi does not have 4WD and it is for the missus to replace her A3, so probably can manage with the 2wd model - so try again! Next day another phone call from the dealer to be told that the first cars with the 2.0T FSi will only be multitronic, no manuals until July! And cannot give a trade in value for the A3 because it is 8 months away (I can understand this as the car will depreciate), but can give a 3% discount on the new car - big deal. My dilemna is 1) Go with it 3% off and no value as yet for the trade in (risky can be seriously out of pocket here, stumping up nearly top dollar and the dealer then deciding to offer the minimum for the A3) 2. Try in December when they may want to hit their annual target and deal. 3. Wait a couple of months and then try again for a better discount and a firmer trade in price - seriously considering this. 4. Try another dealer and play 1 off against the other - I would have done this anyway. Or 5 look at another marque and put it down to another example of Audi's customer service - not. (Saab have some tasty deals, the SLK waiting list is now shorter than Audi's!
Advice/comments appreciated.

I would wait to order it.

Would just shop around and look for the best deal possible because you have plenty time to source one.

I would also just put the A3 up for sale in Autotrader etc nearer july to see if you can get more money for it.

This will also mean that you dont have to trade your car so will only have to haggle over the price of the A4.

What about sourcing an almost brand new cabrio in the 1.8T Q spec that you want (plus maybe a few more toys to make up the cash value). I'm sure there are dealers out there now desperate to sell the "old" style cabrio before the single grill model arrives, and with it being xmas time, dealers are begging for customers - this is the best time of year to buy a car price wise.

If the cabrio's build is anything like the saloon's you will be severly disappointed with the Saab. It is so cheap. I test drove a saloon before deciding on the A4. Apart from the poor interior quality, the engine (175bhp 2.0T) was not very flexible. It is a great looking car though.

The quality is not there especially when you look in the boot, the dash etc, also it feels tighter in the cabin, but yes looks good and it's a better deal, but I still prefer the Audi, pity about the dealers!!!

[ QUOTE ]
If the cabrio's build is anything like the saloon's you will be severly disappointed with the Saab. It is so cheap. I test drove a saloon before deciding on the A4. Apart from the poor interior quality, the engine (175bhp 2.0T) was not very flexible. It is a great looking car though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a die-hard Saab fan but left the marque when the current 9-3 came out, the materials used in the cabin are of very poor quality - cheesey. I bought a new (Sept 04) A4 1.8t Multitronic Cab instead.