2005 audi a4 2.0tdi S-Line - Loss of power, Smoke from exhaust & now will not idle

cshoreduffy

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this page.

Had my A4 for over 3 years and never had any problems with it..... until now

Was wondering if any of you guys have had any similar problems or know anyone that has.

Was driving on the motorway and engine lost all power, put the foot down & would not accelerate at all. This was temperamental for 10-15 miles until it got worse. Car wouldn't accelerate & black smoke from exhaust when i tried. Eventually i had to pull over as it wouldn't go anywhere, so i called AA who recovered me home. The technician suggested that the DPF could be faulty but my to my knowledge my car hasn't got DPF. After car got recovered to my home address i tried to start it but it just cuts out after it has started. I thought MAF may be faulty so i replaced it but still no deference. So i am now left unsure what is causing this to happen.

Any input would be highly appreciated as i am concerned incase it is something serious.

Cheers,

cshoreduffy.

Hi I'm new to this page.

Had my A4 for over 3 years and never had any problems with it..... until now

Was wondering if any of you guys have had any similar problems or know anyone that has.

Was driving on the motorway and engine lost all power, put the foot down & would not accelerate at all. This was temperamental for 10-15 miles until it got worse. Car wouldn't accelerate & black smoke from exhaust when i tried. Eventually i had to pull over as it wouldn't go anywhere, so i called AA who recovered me home. The technician suggested that the DPF could be faulty but my to my knowledge my car hasn't got DPF. After car got recovered to my home address i tried to start it but it just cuts out after it has started. I thought MAF may be faulty so i replaced it but still no deference. So i am now left unsure what is causing this to happen.

Any input would be highly appreciated as i am concerned incase it is something serious.

Cheers,

cshoreduffy.

I had almost the identical symptoms on mine. Get the car scanned but mine turned out to be the EGR valve which had locked solid.
Cost for a new EGR at my Indy was circa £250 fitted if I remember correctly. Good luck and keep us posted .

If the EGR has failed/locked in whatever position it should of thrown up an EML. If it comes back as being a dodgy EGR get it deleted. Ask a local tuner to do an EGR delete software upload so that you can in your own time remove the god-for-saken valve as its useless.

I've checked for any faults on ECU with my own basic code reader but it's not showing any faults present.

Yeah smoke was black when i was trying to accelerate when it felt the engine had no power at all.

boost leak of some kind, id be looking for a hose off/split. Probably one of them metal ended clip in hoses popped out

Can't see any hoses or pipes off. Tried changing fuel filter in the off chance it was something stupid but sadly no luck. Car is still cutting out after starting. Seem to get funny noise from EGR valve area when i turn the ignition on though....