Speaker upgrade, Bose retrofit or aftermarket

Chris-Vspec

Reaction score
After listening to the Bose system in our S4 I have decided the B7 is in desperate need of a speaker system.

i have already replaced the standard single din unit for my alpine Ida x305s and retrofitted my multichanger in the glove box.

now what is my best way forwards, can I buy and retrofit Bose without too many headaches and will it work properly with an aftermarket head unit? Or am I best buying aftermarket speakers to improve the sound.

In both instances what will I need? Speaker size wiring etc.

thanks all for any help

Personally, if I was gonna go to the bother of doing it - i'd do it properly with good quality aftermarket stuff.

I actually think the standard equipment is pretty decent in honesty, compared with other standard stuff out there. Not sure the difference between bose and non-bose merits the work. Have heard a lot of folk say they werent that enamoured with the bose stuff before.

I agree, go aftermarket, I like Bose, if its already fitted & I would fit for anyone that wanted, but in your position, I would definitely look around to see what's available to try.

I always thought they were both good but hearing them back to back the bose has much more depth and clarity to the music we like.

Having been reading other threads and info on the net I am veering towards going aftermarket for a more easy life as I understand the bose install is quite involved.

I have no idea where to start though or what I will need so any help or advice would be appreciated.

I agree, go aftermarket, I like Bose, if its already fitted & I would fit for anyone that wanted, but in your position, I would definitely look around to see what's available to try.

If I did go the bose route would it work properly with an aftermarket head unit Nigel?

for the past month or so i have only really used the s4 with the bose in and i didnt realise how much better it was until now. i have just come home after using the a4 for the first time in a couple of months with the pants standard speakers in... it sounds totally and utterly pants and more pants. It was like listening to a walkman in a tin can! I really cant believe the difference. The bose has a much clearer, deeper, crisp sound that doesn't distort when you turn it up so, as chris has already said any advice on upgrading the a4s system would be greatly appreciated!

If I did go the bose route would it work properly with an aftermarket head unit Nigel?

As long as wiring is done correctly I see no reason why not, why not go the whole hog & fit the rns aswell :p

Weren't we going to do some work on your car anyway fella :)

As long as wiring is done correctly I see no reason why not, why not go the whole hog & fit the rns aswell :p

Weren't we going to do some work on your car anyway fella :)

Do I need to be sat down when you give me the price for all that. For rnse I will need to move the ac controls and I can't live without the iPod in the car.

Maybe lol.

Well ipod working with ami & a nice mk2 rns-e is surely a worthwhile upgrade :)

You don't need to move anything, let me move it all :p albeit for a price lol.

Reactions: iucle
To go for decent quality aftermarket stuff, i'd imagine you'd really wanna budget about a grand.

Remember to factor in decent wiring kits, sound deadening and such like - these are the bits that will make the the difference between a good install and a great one.