Looking for my first A4

ukphillad

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted to start this thread and get your views and opinions. I am looking for an Audi A4 from around 2007. Definitely looking for a Diesel, and preferably the 1.9TDI or 2.0TDI model.
My question is what are the main things to look out for when choosing an A4 from that year, what are the main costs that will come in after purchasing, and what are the major repairs that are a possibility after certain mileage.
Anything else to look out for, such as avoiding certain engines?

Thanks in advance for all your help guys. :)

As above, 1.9s are built proof compared to the 2.0. Obviously you loose the performance but a remap will get you into 2.0 power levels. If you really want a 2.0 though avoid engine code BLB, I think mostly found in early 05-06 cars. Later codes still have issues but seem to be less frequent.
Main and most expensive problem is the balance shaft oil pump failure, costly and can come with no warning, there's a sticky at the top of the forum regarding it.
I have a 1.9 and like it, easy minimum of 50mpg and decent enough for cruising round in, does lack some top end poke tho, I'm looking into remaps at the moment. Only thing that used to annoy me was going back to a 5 speed box, used to it now tho.

As above, 1.9s are built proof compared to the 2.0. Obviously you loose the performance but a remap will get you into 2.0 power levels. If you really want a 2.0 though avoid engine code BLB, I think mostly found in early 05-06 cars. Later codes still have issues but seem to be less frequent.
Main and most expensive problem is the balance shaft oil pump failure, costly and can come with no warning, there's a sticky at the top of the forum regarding it.
I have a 1.9 and like it, easy minimum of 50mpg and decent enough for cruising round in, does lack some top end poke tho, I'm looking into remaps at the moment. Only thing that used to annoy me was going back to a 5 speed box, used to it now tho.

Thanks very much for the swift reply, been reading a lot on the internet about the 2.0 engines and the BLB codes seem to be coming across all the time. How do I determine whether the engine is a BLB engine (eg. looking over the internet ads and such).
I am very keen towards the 1.9 TDI engine, as it seems they are very reliable and with a nice, cheeky re-map say it will be a beautiful drive! :)

Thanks very much for the swift reply, been reading a lot on the internet about the 2.0 engines and the BLB codes seem to be coming across all the time. How do I determine whether the engine is a BLB engine (eg. looking over the internet ads and such).
I am very keen towards the 1.9 TDI engine, as it seems they are very reliable and with a nice, cheeky re-map say it will be a beautiful drive! :)

You won't be able to suss out what engine code it is unless you have the chassis number which will be on the reg documents / log book or a vehicle check. Most sellers probably wouldn't know why you would want to know...

Cheers
Allan

As above, if you can get the reg number of a car then phone Audi and ask for the code. I would definately go for a later B7 and if your going for a 2.0Tdi, then ask the seller if the balance shaft has been upgraded for peace of mind.

Thanks a mill for the answers guys :D Definitely think I'm going to avoid the BLB engines, but constantly looking on the internet, particularly on the UK Auto Trader website. Another question that is constantly coming to mind, is there many cases where clocking on cars happens in the UK? i know in Ireland there are sporadic cases where you can come across this, but not many in perspective. Thanks for all the help :)

What sort of budget have you got mate, that will give you an idea what you can get and with what extras

Hey mate, budget that I have at the moment is around 11k euro. So thats around 8.5k gbp :) one thing that I kinda have my heart set on is the black colour and also if it came with s line package that would be nice :D

Hey Guys,

So I have been looking for the A4 as previously mentioned in the post, and this one has really caught my eye:
Used Audi A4 Saloon 2.0 Tdi Tdv S Line 4dr in Enfield, London | Hiltop Motors Ltd

Now, please be patient with me, as I am completely new to the Audi world and some of my questions may seem silly, but am extremely keen to learn nevertheless :)
Well, firstly what caught my attention was the price, for a 2007 year with under 100,000 miles on the clock, £7495 seems like a very good deal, considering it's advertised as the S Line model, two tone leather and 18" alloy wheels.
I remember you guys mentioned that there is a certain type of engine to watch out for when picking out the car, so will definitely give a call to the dealer and see if I can suss out the engine code on it. It also says that it has had the cambelt replaced. Is this a good or bad sign? :crying:
I mean, from my point of view, the car looks fairly mint, but seeing as I'm no expert, wanted to see what you guys think, is there anything I should be asking the dealer, anything in particular to look out for?
Any input is much appreciated :D

Hey Guys,

So I have been looking for the A4 as previously mentioned in the post, and this one has really caught my eye:
Used Audi A4 Saloon 2.0 Tdi Tdv S Line 4dr in Enfield, London | Hiltop Motors Ltd

Now, please be patient with me, as I am completely new to the Audi world and some of my questions may seem silly, but am extremely keen to learn nevertheless :)
Well, firstly what caught my attention was the price, for a 2007 year with under 100,000 miles on the clock, £7495 seems like a very good deal, considering it's advertised as the S Line model, two tone leather and 18" alloy wheels.
I remember you guys mentioned that there is a certain type of engine to watch out for when picking out the car, so will definitely give a call to the dealer and see if I can suss out the engine code on it. It also says that it has had the cambelt replaced. Is this a good or bad sign? :crying:
I mean, from my point of view, the car looks fairly mint, but seeing as I'm no expert, wanted to see what you guys think, is there anything I should be asking the dealer, anything in particular to look out for?
Any input is much appreciated :D

In my opinion I would just avoid the 2.0tdi units period irrespective of their year as oil pump/balance shaft failures are starting to appear on the early B8 models.