JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    ukphillad's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    108

    Looking for my first A4

    Hey guys,

    Just wanted to start this thread and get your views and opinions. I am looking for an Audi A4 from around 2007. Definitely looking for a Diesel, and preferably the 1.9TDI or 2.0TDI model.
    My question is what are the main things to look out for when choosing an A4 from that year, what are the main costs that will come in after purchasing, and what are the major repairs that are a possibility after certain mileage.
    Anything else to look out for, such as avoiding certain engines?

    Thanks in advance for all your help guys.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nuneaton, Mids
    Posts
    237
    in my opinion, stick to the tried and tested 1.9TDI the 2.0's seem to be hit and miss


  4. #3
    ajax1976's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    479
    As above, 1.9s are built proof compared to the 2.0. Obviously you loose the performance but a remap will get you into 2.0 power levels. If you really want a 2.0 though avoid engine code BLB, I think mostly found in early 05-06 cars. Later codes still have issues but seem to be less frequent.
    Main and most expensive problem is the balance shaft oil pump failure, costly and can come with no warning, there's a sticky at the top of the forum regarding it.
    I have a 1.9 and like it, easy minimum of 50mpg and decent enough for cruising round in, does lack some top end poke tho, I'm looking into remaps at the moment. Only thing that used to annoy me was going back to a 5 speed box, used to it now tho.

  5. #4
    ukphillad's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by ajax1976 View Post
    As above, 1.9s are built proof compared to the 2.0. Obviously you loose the performance but a remap will get you into 2.0 power levels. If you really want a 2.0 though avoid engine code BLB, I think mostly found in early 05-06 cars. Later codes still have issues but seem to be less frequent.
    Main and most expensive problem is the balance shaft oil pump failure, costly and can come with no warning, there's a sticky at the top of the forum regarding it.
    I have a 1.9 and like it, easy minimum of 50mpg and decent enough for cruising round in, does lack some top end poke tho, I'm looking into remaps at the moment. Only thing that used to annoy me was going back to a 5 speed box, used to it now tho.

    Thanks very much for the swift reply, been reading a lot on the internet about the 2.0 engines and the BLB codes seem to be coming across all the time. How do I determine whether the engine is a BLB engine (eg. looking over the internet ads and such).
    I am very keen towards the 1.9 TDI engine, as it seems they are very reliable and with a nice, cheeky re-map say it will be a beautiful drive!

  6. #5
    Molnboman's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by ukphillad View Post
    Thanks very much for the swift reply, been reading a lot on the internet about the 2.0 engines and the BLB codes seem to be coming across all the time. How do I determine whether the engine is a BLB engine (eg. looking over the internet ads and such).
    I am very keen towards the 1.9 TDI engine, as it seems they are very reliable and with a nice, cheeky re-map say it will be a beautiful drive!
    You won't be able to suss out what engine code it is unless you have the chassis number which will be on the reg documents / log book or a vehicle check. Most sellers probably wouldn't know why you would want to know...

    Cheers
    Allan

  7. #6
    Macdoon's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,569
    As above, if you can get the reg number of a car then phone Audi and ask for the code. I would definately go for a later B7 and if your going for a 2.0Tdi, then ask the seller if the balance shaft has been upgraded for peace of mind.
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

    Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

  8. #7
    ukphillad's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    108
    Thanks a mill for the answers guys :D Definitely think I'm going to avoid the BLB engines, but constantly looking on the internet, particularly on the UK Auto Trader website. Another question that is constantly coming to mind, is there many cases where clocking on cars happens in the UK? i know in Ireland there are sporadic cases where you can come across this, but not many in perspective. Thanks for all the help

  9. #8
    Macdoon's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,569
    What sort of budget have you got mate, that will give you an idea what you can get and with what extras
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

    Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

  10. #9
    ukphillad's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    108
    Hey mate, budget that I have at the moment is around 11k euro. So thats around 8.5k gbp one thing that I kinda have my heart set on is the black colour and also if it came with s line package that would be nice :D

  11. #10
    ukphillad's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    108
    Hey Guys,

    So I have been looking for the A4 as previously mentioned in the post, and this one has really caught my eye:
    Used Audi A4 Saloon 2.0 Tdi Tdv S Line 4dr in Enfield, London | Hiltop Motors Ltd

    Now, please be patient with me, as I am completely new to the Audi world and some of my questions may seem silly, but am extremely keen to learn nevertheless
    Well, firstly what caught my attention was the price, for a 2007 year with under 100,000 miles on the clock, £7495 seems like a very good deal, considering it's advertised as the S Line model, two tone leather and 18" alloy wheels.
    I remember you guys mentioned that there is a certain type of engine to watch out for when picking out the car, so will definitely give a call to the dealer and see if I can suss out the engine code on it. It also says that it has had the cambelt replaced. Is this a good or bad sign?
    I mean, from my point of view, the car looks fairly mint, but seeing as I'm no expert, wanted to see what you guys think, is there anything I should be asking the dealer, anything in particular to look out for?
    Any input is much appreciated :D

  12. #11
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    607

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by ukphillad View Post
    Hey Guys,

    So I have been looking for the A4 as previously mentioned in the post, and this one has really caught my eye:
    Used Audi A4 Saloon 2.0 Tdi Tdv S Line 4dr in Enfield, London | Hiltop Motors Ltd

    Now, please be patient with me, as I am completely new to the Audi world and some of my questions may seem silly, but am extremely keen to learn nevertheless
    Well, firstly what caught my attention was the price, for a 2007 year with under 100,000 miles on the clock, £7495 seems like a very good deal, considering it's advertised as the S Line model, two tone leather and 18" alloy wheels.
    I remember you guys mentioned that there is a certain type of engine to watch out for when picking out the car, so will definitely give a call to the dealer and see if I can suss out the engine code on it. It also says that it has had the cambelt replaced. Is this a good or bad sign?
    I mean, from my point of view, the car looks fairly mint, but seeing as I'm no expert, wanted to see what you guys think, is there anything I should be asking the dealer, anything in particular to look out for?
    Any input is much appreciated :D
    In my opinion I would just avoid the 2.0tdi units period irrespective of their year as oil pump/balance shaft failures are starting to appear on the early B8 models.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Hey, I'm looking for my first Audi. In the right place?
    By nasop in forum The Welcome Section
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th May 2013, 18:21
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 22nd March 2011, 20:28
  3. Looking for my first Audi ...
    By hob_nob_rob in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29th March 2010, 08:39
  4. New member looking for his first Audi
    By stealth64 in forum The Welcome Section
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14th October 2009, 22:57
  5. Hello looking for my first S3
    By spadey69 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28th May 2008, 23:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO