Anyone fitted a DIY tyre pressure monitor?

psychopomp1

Reaction score
Since i have a poverty spec SE B7, thinking of getting this DIY TPM as it only takes a few minutes to install. Just wondering has anyone fitted such a TPM and are you happy with it? Its on sale at the moment at £70.
Cheers :)

Ok took the plunge and bought it. Overall very happy with it, an absolute doddle to install and the display unit plugs in neatly into the cigarette lighter socket. Whilst driving the display scrolls showing the tyre pressure in psi. The only downside is that the wheel cap sensors (black) are a bit bulky but i don't find them too obtrusive. Will post some pics later on :)

yeah id like to see how they look
iv retrofitted oem tpms in the past

So, how does this work? Do the monitor caps send information to the display wirelessly?

Yep, the sensors (built into caps) transmit wirelessly to the display...i believe the frequency used is something like 433 mhz. The sensors take a replaceable battery (CR2032?) which is supposed to last 3-4 years. Just hope the local chavs don't pull off the sensors because even though they're fitted with locking nuts, i'm sure with a bit of force they can be pulled off :(

Do you need to get your wheels re-balanced.... 'cause they look a bit bulky?

Arrived today, and were fitted and up and running inside ten minutes. Unfortunately, I only checked the display after I'd tightened all the lock nuts, and that's when I noticed the front right is reading 36psi when all the others are reading 37 (I wouldn't mind but I checked all of them with my compressor before fitting the TPMS sensors).

It's now raining, so I can't be bothered to un-loosen the sensor and add some air to the tyre. It can keep.

Tweaked the pressures again, and I now have a reading of 37psi all round on the Steelmate monitor display - which, incidentally, corresponds to 38psi on the display of my compressor. The discrepancy doesn't really matter, so long as I know it's there. The point is that the tyres are at the pressures I like them at.