Which size brakes?

ESD1711

Reaction score
Morning B7 folks.....

I'm gonna look to do the front brakes on my car in the next couple of weeks. Have toyed with the idea of going down the upgrade route, but given the way the car is used - I cant really justify it at the moment...... so, I'll just be replacing them with like for like.

However, when I've gone to start looking, i'm finding there's an array of different diameter discs quoted.... 280mm, 288mm, 312mm etc. Not sure if this is maybe sline vs non sline? Or 140 vs 170?

So my question is, which is the correct size for my car?!

For info, the cars a 2006 Sline Avant, 2.0 TDi, and the 140bhp model.

Beyond that - any recommendations with regards to whats good or what to steer clear of? Note that I have no need or desire for high end brakes just now - cheap and cheerful is very much fine for what I need at the moment :)

Cheers,
Erik

The best thing you can do is take a wheel off , measure Your current discs,and get them replaced.
+ you can go for is some fresh good brake fluid,or if you willing to spend then steel braided brake lines.

Good question?....sorry I can't answer but your local friendly parts supplier with a VAG parts system or VAG dealer should, if you provide them with your chassis number. On my car's vintage there were two different brake calipers used....so you have to make sure you get the right discs and pads to suit. As for discs I changed my 320mm or 321mm depending on who you ask.... using Mintex discs and Brembo pads less than 12 months ago and the fronts discs are warped already after only 35,000kms!.....Just bought Zimmerman discs and pads this time round to see if they make a difference. I have heard good things mentioned about Zimmerman and EMTEC discs using Green Stuff Pads....but never tried them myself. I notice on the forum that there are members who have had several issues with original VAG discs warping and had them changed under warranty. On the subject of brake hoses....I was warned to stay away from them up here ( Sweden ) as they can corrode quickly here during the winter months and can cause serious falure issues.....may not be the same back in the Old Country am sure.

Good Luck
A