Battery drain issue. Anything to worry about?

sidibear

Going with the flow.
Staff member
Reaction score
B7 08 A4 S-Line Avant 2.0tdi.

Used it last Saturday and did a fair bit of mileage. Used it Tuesday night and drove about 1 mile, drove back the same distance later but with the lights on.
Same trip Thursday night. Came to drive it Saturday and it cranked too slow to start, fired up fine after a jump start and drove a total of around 50 miles during the day with shopping and all that. Other than Tuesday and Thursday nights low milage it just sat outside.

Yesterday morning it started fine, drove for 200 miles and when I came to come back 200 it started no problem

Do you think the failure to start is down to the battery not getting enough charge when I used it during the week, or could it be something more sinister?

Not again, lol.

How olds the battery?

Ideally you should whack a ctek on it to charge over night properly as these chargers are very good indeed, check voltages & see how it drops, check voltages wen running, when cars of etc.

I forgot he had a cam, could very well be contributing, but whats the load?

The battery is original and yes the cam is on all the time. It has happened twice now, first time was due to voltage drain caused by faulty sat nav that was fixed, its been ok since then until last Saturday. Just curious as to if its a random fault that is starting to occur.

Cant leave a charger on its as it parked in the street.

Its a 5 year old batter and with your camera on all the time you might have pushed it over the edge a little bit.

Could do a drop test on the battery and see if its losing charge or if its something is draining it with the keys out.

I'd even be tempted to put a new battery in it.

If you use the ctek it will analyse & can make some older batteries come back to life with its 8 step charging system, I use them & they're brilliant, I would do this before new battery, if I wasn't using mine I would let you borrow it mate, but the mxs 10 is also a 12v supply unit so handy for work.

A five year old battery?....lucky chap! My money would be on that battery being gubbed or on the way out at least.

Cheers
A

I am going to leave until tomorrow morning, it had a good run yesterday so if it doesn't start tomorrow I will get a new battery put on it. If it does then I will try going a longer route home to get a bit more charge into when I go out,