Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    6th Gear

Status

Cold start - blue smoke

Hi all

After hours of thread reading, still confused

On cold start and up to temp, car is a wee bit lumpy, but puts out blue smoke and smells slightly, this only happens until up to temp.

No fault codes. Injectors changed (on recall) 20k ago. EGR valve cleaned <10k ago. Oil & filter <5k ago and again yesterday with balancer shaft/hex drive upgrade. Full service (incl fuel filter) & cambelt change <20k ago. New turbo at 45k ish.

Any ideas

Cheers gang

Mac
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

Gloss black RS4 style mesh grille,fog grilles,splitter trim,A8 boot rings,rear diffuser & door blades.
    Ice White fogs, Tints, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior,satin black exhaust tips, black calipers/red Audi rings.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I have a very similar issue and have also read thread upon thread with no definitive answer. in for any info

Reverse Gear

Status
    Are you burning oil?

1st Gear

Status
    Macdoon, i think someone here changed the actuator on the inlet manafold, i tihnk it adjusts some flaps inside and this solved their lumpy idol issues, it might be worth a pop as apart from getting your hands dirty it is a cheep part

cheers

matt
    Audi A4 2lt 170 TDI Quattro s-line, B7, BRD engine code. Mods so far; cruise control, DPF delete, EGR delete, unicorn remap, B5 perches, RS4 rear arb, RNSE with SDS, 2013 maps with speed cams, aux in, powermax remanufactured balancer, Sachs SRE organic clutch and pressure plate with LUK flywheel. Mods to do; s4 break upgrade, glove box fridge perhaps...

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    Are you burning oil?
    No more than the usual fella, why what you thinking Nick

Gloss black RS4 style mesh grille,fog grilles,splitter trim,A8 boot rings,rear diffuser & door blades.
    Ice White fogs, Tints, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior,satin black exhaust tips, black calipers/red Audi rings.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew999 View Post
    Macdoon, i think someone here changed the actuator on the inlet manafold, i tihnk it adjusts some flaps inside and this solved their lumpy idol issues, it might be worth a pop as apart from getting your hands dirty it is a cheep part

cheers

matt
    Cheers Matt, might as well start there lol

Audi Newbie

Status
    Blue smoke is burning oil, if it's only from cold then somehow while the engine sits cold some oil is getting into the combustion system, could be a number of things but if it was someting serious like head gasket or turbo oil seals you'd see other symptoms including high oil consumption.

However if the valve guides and/or valve stem oil seals are are worn then when the engine is cold oil can seep down from the head and collect either in the chamber or back of the valve, when you crank you get a puff of blue smoke as the oil burns off.

I'd get a compression test done anyway and check there is no emulsion in the oil to be sure if you're worried. General rule is on a high mileage car if you're not using too much oil then don't worry about it.

Changing the actuator won't stop the blue smoke mind.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdoon View Post
    No more than the usual fella, why what you thinking Nick
    The same as tr3m5 or shagged piston rings

Looking for Zombies !!

Status
    Nick, shagged pistons rings generally shows up under engine load rather than a cold start. Valve guide oil seals are a favourite. Miller Oils do an oil treatment that can sometime help with leaky seals.

JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

6th Gear

Status
    Had a quick chat with a mate, he thinks there is a possibility that maybe an injector seal may be the issue. Anyway asthe injectors had been changed under recall and a 2 year warranty I phoned Audi and it's booked in tomorrow morning to check the seals

1st Gear

Status
    What was the outcome of the blue smoke& rough idle? Mine does it as well and it had injectors done last september

2nd Gear

Status
    Sure it's blue smoke?

Possibly coolant temp sensor giving false readings and over fueling the car on start up causing the smoke and lumpy running?

Cheap and easy one to try first, unplug wiring from it night before then try starting next day from cold just to prove it first before replacing. Car will just revert back to generic values and should run fine with it unplugged.

Alan

1st Gear

Status
    Overfuelling is black smoke. I'd go for your inlets are gunked up or valve stem seals.
    Audi A4 (B7) 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro - Steve Edition in Lava Grey
    BBS Wheels|arm rest|ambipur|345mm S4 brakes|PiperX panel filter|cupra R splitter|Greenstuff Pads|Retrofit Cruise control/DIS|Retrofit Audi Phone|Dension iPod|

Full VCDS equipped for the Moray area

2nd Gear

Status
    On start up engine is obviously cold so if its overfueling the engine will struggle to burn the excess fuel, white smoke is vaporised(unburnt) diesel, hence the smell.
    Only a suggestion as I had exact same issue myself, only when starting from cold and lumpy, goes away once warm.