Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ASC
  • 1 Post By g00se
  • 1 Post By g00se

Thread: engine modifications for a S4??

Neutral

Status

engine modifications for a S4??

what are the options for engine modifications?

dont really see many s4s getting a bit of attention in the engine department!

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    S4 with a 4.2 v8!.....now you are just being greedy!

Would have thought there's plenty you can spunk yer cash on....http://www.stertman.com/parts.aspx?page=184

Good Luck # jealous as f#ck!!

BR
    Allan

5th Gear

Status
    forget the cold air intake they dont work as there located just above one of the auxillary radiators
    just fit a decent free flowing air filter in the standard audi box

phenolic intake spacers work quite well and help keep the large intake from becoming warm

exhaust system change does works wonders on the big thumping v8 , but if you want any serious improvement you have to look at the front pipe and either gut the front pre cats or replace them with american sourced products
    the milltek replacement cats have a very high failure rate as there not designed properly the catback system is fine however

after this a decent tune will help everything work together properly and youll be seeing just shy of the best part of 400hp
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    koni adjustable suspension front and rear
    alpine f1 dvi9990 -pxah990 headunit and processor - alpine d511r
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer
    3 x phoenix gold zpa 0.5 amplifiers

1st Gear

Status
    We have had ours remapped from standard and its made a nice difference, I'm sure goose will pop up shortly as he experienced it first hand

Abb
    2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris-Vspec View Post
    We have had ours remapped from standard and its made a nice difference, I'm sure goose will pop up shortly as he experienced it first hand
    what map did you have done Chris and what was the gains?
    Audi S4 quattro cabriolet in dolphin grey metallic, Audi exclusive crimson red leather/black piping, red hood, carbon inlays, RNSE, tiptronic gearbox with paddleshift, electrically adjustable & heated seats, 6 disc multichanger, DVD multichanger, monitors in headrestraints, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, folding door mirrors, storage pack, 19" OE VW Touareg wheels with 25mm spacer/adapters all round, non res cat back quad tipped Milltek exhaust, lowered 30mm on H&R springs

1st Gear

Status
    haha yep i can confirm that chris and sam's B6 Cab bl00dy shifts

goose
    Current:
    '06 Phantom Black Pearl Audi B7 S4 - Milltek non res|BMC Panel|034 25mm RARB|SuperPro poly bushes|Apikol poly Snub|H&R Springs|H&R 10mm rear spacers|LCR Splitter|R8 caps|JCap|RS4 Pedals|EBC D/G disks & yellow pads|HEL brake lines|White sides/DRLs|De-tango'd
    '72 Sunburst Yellow VW Karmann Ghia Coupe - 1641cc|Engle 110 Cam|Weber 34 Carb|dropped spindles|Porsche 911 black leather interior

1st Gear

Status
    I was wondering about the map, who did it Chris? and is it worth it??

Phil

1st Gear

Status
    Angel tuning did the map they are based in banbury. they travelled to us and mapped our s4 and b7 2.0tfsi quattro for £400 all in. really really pleased with them both and definitely worth having both done.

Angel tunings quoted figures on the S4 are a 20-25 increase in bhp and a 20lbs ft of torque. I have to say it does feel like a lot more. the whole drive has changed and the car is far more responsive throughout the rev range and has improved the drivability no end.

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow sammi On Twitter
    when we were thinking about re mapping our s4 i wasn't really sure wether or not it was worth paying the usual £500 or so for what looked on a paper such a small gain, so the fact that chris found angel tuning who would do both our cars for £400 i figured was worth a go. After years of modding hi performance cars this has definitely been the one mod that i have noticed the most difference. Having had it done i would of quite happily paid £500 or so for it!

ASC
    1st Gear

Status
    I just fitted 2.5" catless DP's and am waiting for a JHM remap.. Hoping for some good gains!

It's worth mentioning the car revvs far more freely now with no cats and I do notice a fair difference. The tune will bring it all together though for maximum gains. FYI, the car sounds absolutely insane now!!
    2006 Sprint Blue S4 Avant - 2.5" catless DP's - Miltek Non Res cat back - BMC panel filter - JHM remap - H&R springs - Matt/Polished RS4's

1st Gear

Status
    Well I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet... anybody know if the remap affects the tiptronic box??

Thanks

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ASC View Post
    I just fitted 2.5" catless DP's and am waiting for a JHM remap.. Hoping for some good gains!

It's worth mentioning the car revvs far more freely now with no cats and I do notice a fair difference. The tune will bring it all together though for maximum gains. FYI, the car sounds absolutely insane now!!
    you know the rules ayron.. you cannot make that statement without a video clip to back it up!!!

goose

ps. where did you get the catless DP's? i was thinking of having mine gutted but if the price is right, maybe i'll just swap them out...
    Last edited by g00se; 7th June 2013 at 16:55.
    Current:
    '06 Phantom Black Pearl Audi B7 S4 - Milltek non res|BMC Panel|034 25mm RARB|SuperPro poly bushes|Apikol poly Snub|H&R Springs|H&R 10mm rear spacers|LCR Splitter|R8 caps|JCap|RS4 Pedals|EBC D/G disks & yellow pads|HEL brake lines|White sides/DRLs|De-tango'd
    '72 Sunburst Yellow VW Karmann Ghia Coupe - 1641cc|Engle 110 Cam|Weber 34 Carb|dropped spindles|Porsche 911 black leather interior

ASC
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by g00se View Post
    you know the rules aaron.. you cannot make that statement without a video clip to back it up!!!

goose

ps. where did you get the catless DP's? i was thinking of having mine gutted but if the price is right, maybe i'll just swap them out...

I thought you'd never ask!

Custom 2.5" Cat-less DP's with Non Res Miltek Cat back.. - YouTube

2.5" Custom catless DP's - YouTube

The sound clips are a bit pish and don't do the sound justice, believe me when I say it is LOUD LOUD LOUD in the flesh! I intend getting better clips soon, maybe use a GOPRO or something mounted at the back end somewhere.
    They were made and fitted by Stainless Creations in Falkirk (not very handy for you). It cost me £480, that's including fitting!! The guy there also owns an S4 so he knows these cars..
    Thinking about binning the Miltek for one of his 2.5" cat backs for full gains but I've got road tax due this month and I have that remap coming soon too so it'll have to wait a couple of months!
    g00se likes this.
    2006 Sprint Blue S4 Avant - 2.5" catless DP's - Miltek Non Res cat back - BMC panel filter - JHM remap - H&R springs - Matt/Polished RS4's

1st Gear

Status
    nice vids - you need some white DRLs tho.. i got mine fro Glenn @ Revolution.. i thnk he's an RS246 sponsor ?

Welcome to Revolution Motorstore

goose
    ASC likes this.
    Current:

1st Gear

Status
    S4Paul, when you say "engine modifications", i presume you do mean performance, as oppose to engine dress-up bling?

here's mine
    S4 Engine v2.jpg

the billet washer bottle cap is a work of art.. http://jcapsonline.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=91

goose
    ASC likes this.
    Current:

5th Gear

Status
    how do they get round the problem of the check engine light for the missing front cats ???or is that what the jhm tune is for ???
    i did piggie pipes on mine as its a tiptronic then a friend of mine reprogrammd everything to take advantage of the extra oompf and
    altered the coding on the map so as the check engine light doesnt come up
    i have the same milltek system but resonated on my b6
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer

1st Gear

Status
    I want to do something like this but Sammi is not keen on having a check engine light on the car... Is there a simple way round it.

ASC
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dualmono21 View Post
    how do they get round the problem of the check engine light for the missing front cats ???or is that what the jhm tune is for ???
    i did piggie pipes on mine as its a tiptronic then a friend of mine reprogrammd everything to take advantage of the extra oompf and
    altered the coding on the map so as the check engine light doesnt come up
    i have the same milltek system but resonated on my b6
    Yes the JHM tune will get rid of the CEL amongst other stuff.

Goose, I definitely want those lights!

ASC
    1st Gear

Status
    I want to do something like this but Sammi is not keen on having a check engine light on the car... Is there a simple way round it.
    You could try spacers on the 02 sensors but I've heard it doesn't always work. Loads of info on Audizine for these cars.

5th Gear

Status
    a lot of the time it doesnt work im afraid
    the only real way to do it properly is to have it coded out
    be careful wit the jhm tune if your going the new flash lead route they have had significant trouble of late
    many owners being left stranded or had to remove ecu and send to jhm

ASC
    1st Gear

Status
    Yes going to try the flash. I have heard of a few problems but I'm being assured it'll be fine.
    If it goes to sh*t I don't mind sending my ECU, I have a 2nd commuter car..
    I'm sure it will be worth the risk as the results are impressive!

5th Gear

Status
    have you bought the lead from jhm yet ? only reason i ask is i do believe theres a mod for the gearbox to give it launch control
    which id love to try

ASC
    1st Gear

Status
    Hi, no I won't be buying the cable. There's a guy up here near me that has one so I can borrow his. He has the 91 tune with JHM piggies and it's a beast!! Yeah I'll have launch assist with this tune!

What map you got?

5th Gear

Status
    the map i have is a custom one a friend of mine did it for me , as i change things he alters the map accordingly

i keep thinking about the jhm tune but not sure i could cope with the very aggressive throttle response

ASC
    1st Gear

Status
    It's not that bad, it won't take long to get used to. My mate that has it already certainly had no problems getting used to it.