3.0 TDI Custom Exhaust [PICS]

Reaction score
So I've been contemplating this for a while now and finally managed to get round to doing it in the end. Went to MIJ Performance in Walsall. Heard both good and bad things about them but I bit the bullet and was more than pleased with the results! The boys did a fantastic job and their tig welding was more than impressive.

This was not the setup I was recommended by MIJ and was something I went along with based on the research I did over the past couple of months.

The setup is as follows:
  • Secondary De-cat (didn't have a DPF even though '7GN' code was present on options list).
  • 2.5" bore with two rear "mid-sport" silencers.
  • 3.5"/90mm rolled in tailpipes (did want slash cut orientated to the contour of the valance/bumper but wasn't available, feel free to suggest some to me).
The sound is just as I want it and not intrusive in the cabin when driving normally <80mph. After 80mph there is some resonance in the cabin but not enough to give you a headache (so far). Sounds brilliant when you floor it though! Will see how it sounds after a few hundred miles. Here are some videos and pics of before/after etc.

Azeem

null_zpsda3b88f9.jpg

null_zpsf5e854ea.jpg

null_zps81dbecc0.jpg

null_zps6265d0d7.jpg

null_zpsb9bd2fd0.jpg

null_zps4f07c0f2.jpg

null_zpsc46d1f63.jpg

null_zpsbb5857bf.jpg

null_zps3f011429.jpg

null_zps06603e1e.jpg

null_zps81a3690b.jpg

Reactions: Amason007 and gupsterg
Glad you're pleased with it dude. I wanted tips that curved vertically and horizontally with the bumper but it would've taken hours to fabricate and look right. Did consider getting some tips from a Q7 or similar and checking the contours but never got round to it?

I'm also slightly jealous that you probably paid less than half what I did and all the workmanship is hidden under the car!

The welding & bends look very good on 1st glance.

Glad you're pleased with it dude. I wanted tips that curved vertically and horizontally with the bumper but it would've taken hours to fabricate and look right. Did consider getting some tips from a Q7 or similar and checking the contours but never got round to it?

I'm also slightly jealous that you probably paid less than half what I did and all the workmanship is hidden under the car!

If I come across anything I'll let you know.

The welding & bends look very good on 1st glance.

Yea definitely some good welding there I think. They even swapped the standard exhaust rubbers for stiffer ones to prevent excessive movement.

Reactions: gupsterg
Looks great, how much did that cost if you don't mind me asking?

Looks great, how much did that cost if you don't mind me asking?

£435 but should be getting £25 through the post as they didn't use the mandrel bends in the end. He initially thought they'd need mandrels for the 2.5" bore so charged me £30 extra but only giving me £25 back as he apparently gave me too much of a good deal?!

Nice work looking good, I had 3.5 slash cut contoured to flush with bumper

Last edited:
Reactions: gupsterg and A4_MaJiK
That's a good price. Looks and sounds awesome!

Nice work looking good, I had 3.5 slash cut contoured to flush with bumper

I so want this! Any idea where I could get one from and was it only slashed in one direction do you know? Looks like it's rotated 45 degrees to match the contour from what I can see. Would love some more information on this please.
Sounds nice too you seemed pleased 3.0 Quattro rules:rock:

I HATE the sound of diesel engines, but I never knew they could sound so good!? I love the sound of my car now, except at idle...

That's a good price. Looks and sounds awesome!

Thanks Jas, quite impressive for a diesel I must admit.

Looks good to me. I use to work at MIJ performance and to me it looks like a great job. Also for £435 is very cheap. I would of thought it cost about £500 for the work you had done.

Reactions: gupsterg and A4_MaJiK
Looks good to me. I use to work at MIJ performance and to me it looks like a great job. Also for £435 is very cheap. I would of thought it cost about £500 for the work you had done.

Yea he did mention I got an ultimate deal and it should have cost £600+ for the work I had done. Don't know how I managed to get such a good price if I'm honest.

Good lads down there to be honest I will always recommend them. Quality of work is very good.

lol love the launch, you must have total confidence in your clutch!! Does sound great for a diesel, i'm pleasantly surprised

Nice work, where are these guys based?

lol love the launch, you must have total confidence in your clutch!! Does sound great for a diesel, i'm pleasantly surprised

Nice work, where are these guys based?

RS4 clutch so should handle the launches no problem lol. They're based in Walsall.

Reactions: gupsterg
So as you know I was on the hunt for some exhaust tips to suit the rear valance and came across these on eBay:

3.5" Slash Cut Exhaust Tailpipe Stainless Steel 90mm Polished Rolled In Angle | eBay

Had them fitted yesterday with the slash facing outwards on either side to suit the curve of the bumper. It hasn't actually grown on to me yet as from certain angles it looks as though the exhausts are actually facing outwards (which is rather strange). I keep telling myself they're certainly better than before but I'm not fully convinced (yes I'm looking for opinions). Here are some quick snaps from before/after fitting yesterday anyway.

BEFORE
null_zpsb3958c87.jpg

AFTER
null_zps439ed233.jpg

hhmmm as yo usay, they look like they are sticking out at 30 degree angles ?!?

i prefer the first ones

goose

Cant say i'm a fan, they need rotating so they slope under the car like the standard exhausts do on a 2.0t for example.

I've just ordered a pair of the same tips; I'll get my garage to fit them and post a pic in due course.

Better in the first for me too, maybe slash cut is more suited going vertical, still looks good though. MIJ Performance is just up the road from me may check them out when I get mine done. Either that or ProFlow, basically any company that offers the cheapest deal in or around Birmingham.

The tips have grown onto me now and I do quite like them. I think they may just look weird from the lower angles but when you're walking around the car they actually look quite nice.