Retro fitting RNS-E - good price?

pocketrocket786

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have recently acquired a RNS-E unit for my A4 B7, it was just the unit and the map disc and it needs coding.

I have been quoted £200 for it to be fitted into my car:

Here is what I wanted:

Double DIN cage supplied and fitted
RNSE fitted
Existing climate control adapted to fit
Current RNSE unit has no cables etc or antenna so anything like that also to be supplied and fitted.

Does £200 pound plus petrol (Coventry to Bham) sound reasonable?

Sounds fairly reasonable as it's nearly £100's worth of parts for the cage/cables/antenna. I would ask for a new ashtray and trim to do the job properly. You will have a gap without it.

Sounds fairly reasonable as it's nearly £100's worth of parts for the cage/cables/antenna. I would ask for a new ashtray and trim to do the job properly. You will have a gap without it.

Sorry mate, how do you mean? I thought the climate control unit would drop flush with the bottom of the existing ashtray? Does it not?
what ashtray and trim would I need......apologies for the 101 questions!

The single DIN ashtray is curved, when you fit the double din climate you should change the ashtray to a double DIN one with a flat cover so it meets up with the bottom of the climate control. I always change ashtray and trim when I do dash conversions, it makes for a professional rather than half ***** job.

Double DIN cage
Double DIN ashtray
Ashtray cover to match your existing trim.

This is my climate control unit -so I would defo need a new ash tray and trim yes?

Yes, I would always replace the trim.

Here is one I have done

Attachments

• after1.jpg
    after1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 213
Sorted I will ask if they will throw that in aswell, thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated.
Are you an installer by trade?

So we talking £260 all inclusive. Just wanted to make sure I was not overpaying for the job.

Can you please let us know the name of the Company in Birmingham you're using?

I'm local and would like to get RNS-E installed later this year.

Also, where did you buy your unit? Which model was it?

Can you please let us know the name of the Company in Birmingham you're using?

I'm local and would like to get RNS-E installed later this year.

Also, where did you buy your unit? Which model was it?

I found this company on ebay: seller trade as "the_sixth_store" they priced the job at £260.

In regards to the RNSE I got that via ebay too, it was off a 2007 RS4 - paid £250 which is a very good price compared to the others. I think it was listed for about 8minutes before I snapped it up as buy it now.