Handfree Phone Options

Fast3000

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am using the standard Concert system on my 2006 A4. It has Bose setup. I am looking for the cheapest option to get handfree working in the car. This of course using the existing speakers.

I have looked into getting the Audi OEM interface which is pricey ££ and means I should be able to use my steering wheel controls.

Would changing the headunit (with various adaptors for amp, steering wheel etc) give me handfree functionality? Are there any head units that solve this problem?

Thanks

So you have existing controls on the steering wheel, if so then this will allow interaction via dis of the phonebook to make/end calls when using the oem system of which I can fit for you if interested.

Depends if you want to integrate with the cars system seamlessly, if so then for me its audi all the way, but has a higher cost, but it works perfectly for me.

for me its audi all the way, but has a higher cost, but it works perfectly for me.
+1

The Audi system "just works" with no fuss or drama, and is completely seamless and integrated.

Reactions: NHN
I'm looking at getting the xcarlink adapter for mine some time soon - I know with that there's a handsfree option too. THink that with the hands free, this comes in at about £140 or there abouts which is probably significantly cheaper than the OEM route.

But..... and its a big but, I cant comment on how good / fit for purpose / easy to use this system is.

You could of course go the route of a Parrot or something along those lines, which would again be cheaper than OEM i'd imagine - but I vaguely remember a thread mentioning problems getting Parrot to playback through all speakers or something along those lines.

OEM will always be the best in terms of neat and tidy and what not, but there are other options.

Yes but £140, it that just for the part or including a professional installation?

Xcarlink is pretty much plug and play from what i've gathered thus far. Going on what i've read, pretty much anyone could fit it successfully without any bother.

Generally speaking, its a product which gets pretty good reviews all over the place too.

Not saying its 'better' than an OEM unit - I'm just stating that there are other, cheaper alternatives than spending fortunes going down that route.

Personally, i'd rather spend £140 on a unit which I can fit myself and use to integrate the full functionality of my phone and ipad providing nav, music, hands free calling, internet, youtube, games, live TV, movies etc etc etc than spend significantly more 'just' to get hands free.

I'd like to see you use all that whilst driving lmao.

Some people want a seamless integrated system, I'll admit the all in one new product looks good, does put some of audi's offerings to shame, but there is always something that just doesn't hit that spot with aftermarket systems, maybe minimal irritation, but always something, but it does look good, however when people want something that just works everytime, the oem system is top of that list in most situations, it works well & integrates perfectly.

Do a review if you have one fitted, so we can see what it really is like.

Being a third party product built to serve a number of functions across a number of platforms, there will always be compramises and shortfalls compared to something which is both designed and built specifically for a soul purpose by the original manufacturer.

Personally speaking, I have doubts over the microphone quality of the xcarlink and envisage a lot of "eh? whare are ye saying? Cannae hear ye!!" type conversations. But, overall, I'm more interested in the multimedia side of it than the hands free part.

Maybe if you're purely after a hands free solution, the OEM route makes more sense. Like you say, it works well and is proven.

Guess it really depends on personal preference, budget and what you want out of it. Having at this point used neither, I'm in no place to say which is better or worse - i'm still researching it myself.

Was just offering up a few different solutions to give the OP some options :)