DIS retrofit - the washer level wire conundrum

ESD1711

Reaction score
Ok, mucho apologies for ANOTHER dis thread, I know that these are already way too common but after heaps of searching, I'm not able to find what I'm after.

Basically, got both my DIS and cruise stalk fitted today, no problems there.

However, when it comes to the running of the wire to trick the washer level circuit, we are a bit perplexed.

Have read heaps of 'how to' guides which talk about removing a wire from pin 1 in the blue multi plug..... But the plug which we found looked to be a sealed unit which my mate didn't want to go butchering without knowing for sure we were doing the right thing.

Unfortunately, all the how to guides I look at with pictures, the image links appear to be dead on so I can't see if we are on to the right thing or not.

So........ Ideally what I'm looking for is pictures of this part of the job, the plug, the wire which is removed and the replacement - the more the better.

If nobody can help that, some detailed descriptions / instructions on this part of the job would be much appreciated........

If you lie in the footwell and look up towards the back of the instrument cluster you'll see a blue plug, secured in place with a swinging lock type plug, shouldn't be too hard to find.

Cheers buddy! I've read about half a dozen how to guides tonight, but the ones with images all seem to be dead and the ones without dont give me the detail I'm after lol, just wanna be certain :)

If you lie in the footwell and look up towards the back of the instrument cluster you'll see a blue plug, secured in place with a swinging lock type plug, shouldn't be too hard to find.

yeah I'm pretty sure we had the right plug - just didn't seem like removing wires from it would be particularly easy?!

Scotch lock a wire onto the correct wire and fix it to earth if your trying to turn the warning off. no need to remove the wire from the plug.

Don't remove the wire, just either cut it and earth it or scotch another bit of wire to it and then earth it.

Don't scotch lock. I you're going to do it, do it properly and solder it! Scotch locks can cause overheating, shorting and fires. I Passionately hate the things.

Don't scotch lock. I you're going to do it, do it properly and solder it! Scotch locks can cause overheating, shorting and fires. I Passionately hate the things.

Given the low load of the wire in question and the OPs difficulty/hesitation to remove the plug/wire, I highly doubt there will be any electrical issues and its a very easy addition to existing wiring with no fuss to complete the job.

IMO if you are going to go to the trouble of soldering the earth wire, you should consider routing the wire under the bonnet and fitting the level sensor too. Most washer tanks have space to cut and fit such a sensor, but if not replace the washer bottle, as i did with my A3.

Cheers for the replies so far folks - appreciated.

JUst really wanted to make sure i've defo got the right plug / wire really. Fairly confident it is the correct plug but it just didnt look like it would come apart very easily which is what put the doubt in my mind.

Had another look at it and having figured out how to remove the blue sleeve (i.e by removing the pink / purple retainer), had it off and the wire out within 15mins.

Problem solved :)

Just need to fit the repair wire and get it all coded up - nowhere near as bad a job as I was expecting to be honest.

HI
when fitting the earth wire does it need to be done with all the lower steering cowl off or can it be done after you have boxed all the car back up
regards
karl

You'll be able to do it with the steering cowl in place, but you do need to remove the lower dash panel - comes off pretty easily, 2 minute job :)

It's a blue plug with an orange lock over the top. Just unlock and you will be able to slide block out and then like everyone else has said scotch lock onto pin 1. Make sure you have good contact because you will not want to be upside down in your foot well again unless your a dwarf lol!!!

Then connect other end to an earth. I connected to a 10mm (I think ) about 2 inches away.

Hope that helps.

just take the clocks out and get it that way
easy to do no need to get in the footwell

Does anyone know where the wire actually goes from pin 1, is there a multi plug at the passenger side somewhere or is that wire direct from the wiper switch.

it heads to the pass footwell behind the kick panel
where you can connect up for the low fluid sensor

is the multi plug marked or any certain colour wiring or will I have to do a continuity test to determine the correct wire

hi guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread...

I too am looking for this blue plug. i haven't had a chance to lie down in the foot well and have a look up the back of the dash yet, but is this the plug i'm looking for on the back of the clocks...?

int64_DSC01403.jpg