Essential upgrades for B7 A4 ?

Cravatekid

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently bought a 2006 A4 2.0T FSI S-Line Cabriolet, and am keen to understand what I should do first regarding upgrades, after selling my previous car I've got about a £1k to spend now, and was wondering what to do, what makes the most difference? What's important to me is handling and comfort (I tend to do mostly Motorway driving) I'm quite happy at present with 200 brake but would like to possibly chip the car at some point. Aesthetically I'm happy with my wheels and I actually quite like the grill, anyway would be keen to understand what you experts would recommend.

Thanks very much
Mark

Eibachs definitely, cupra splitter makes a huge difference to the front end. I would also opt for a forge diverter, makes the car feel more alive and a must if you are thinking about a remap. All can be done well within your budget.

I'm probably not the best to explain it but I will have a go, the diverter valve sits below the turbo and basically allows the turbo to build pressure providing the car with power. The standard audi valves are prone to failing as they use a plastic diaphragm that is prone to splitting, if this happens then all the boost that the turbo is making is being lost kinda like a boost leak. The forge unit is piston based and therefore more reliable and the piston control is spring based, the more boost you produce the stronger the spring you require which is why I said if you we're thinking about a remap then the forge is a good bet as the spring rating supplied is suited to a mapped car meaning you get the most out of the power hike.

In the last week I replaced my standard audi diverter for a forge one as I am having my car mapped next week, my original diverter that came off the car looked in good condition there were no visible tears in the plastic diaphragm, but once the forge was on I noticed an immediate improvement in throttle response, turbo seems to spool sooner and the lag between gear changes has gone, before the car felt a little sluggish between changes. I am really pleased with the results and definitely a modification I would recommend especially if you want a bit more power

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for your detailed response, any chance of pasting a link as to where I can get hold of one of these beautys!

Cheers

Thanks Ajax, I have to say the handling is definitely not as tight as my old Alfa, an anti roll bar is also added to the list!

I'll jump in the conversation if you don't mind. where can I get a RS4 arb,how much were talking about?
as you said its a cheap mod.

Think the ARB is around £70 from dealer, I got a brand new one for £30 on a forum, pop up on Ebay from time to time. You'll need new bushes to suit the wider diameter bar that are around £6 each and brackets for the bushes are also around £6. There's no need to replace your drop links and fitting bolts unless they're goosed.

Reactions: TOM.S
I think I've got my 'wish' list...(priced to include fitting)

Eibach springs £350
RS4 ABD - £120
Re-map - £280
Air filter - £50
Forge Diverter - £300

I've guessed the fitting price, and all in I'm about £100 over my budget - now to get it priced up properly!

Thanks for all your help
Mark

Remap would be top of my list. I've got a revo remap on mine and it made a noticeable increase in performance!

One thing to bear in mind is that as you have an S line it is already lower than stock A4 so these Eibachs will only drop your car 10-15mm. Eibach also do a 50/40mm kit that might be more suitable, I've forgotten the name of it. H&R also do great springs, 35mm that drop a shade more than the 35mm, I have them and they suit me perfect, lower but still 100% useable. If you do a search there's loads of threads on lowering springs.

I think I've got my 'wish' list...(priced to include fitting)

Eibach springs £350
RS4 ABD - £120
Re-map - £280
Air filter - £50
Forge Diverter - £300

I've guessed the fitting price, and all in I'm about £100 over my budget - now to get it priced up properly!

Thanks for all your help
Mark

dpm performance do the 50/40 Eibachs for £167 delivered. They are traders on here and were amazingly quick with the delivery. If you drop them a pm they will tell you what you need for your car, I believe they also do the H&R kit that Ajax was talking about. I'm very happy with mine and I know either set will work great on your car.

Got my Eibachs from Damian at DPM Performance....super fast delivery and look superb once fitted

Thanks Chaps,

I quite like the way my car sits at present, the reason I was keen on upgrading the springs was really for better comfort and handling, any chance of some pics of your cars with the uprated equipment so I can see the 'sit' of the car?

Cheers

Thanks Chris,

Forgive my lack of knowledge but what is a forge diverter?

only vag owners call them diverters, they're BOV's or blow off valves. On vag petrol turbos they are recirculating but forge make a stronger version for higher boosts.

I'm assuming that my current springs are the traditional s-line set up - can you tell from this image of the rear wheels (wheels are 18")? 012

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 306