Brake shudder issues..suggestions please

Molnboman

Reaction score
Helloahh!

Just completed a 600mile round trip this week and the big bus was grand except I am getting pretty severe brake shudder coming down from speed. Now any ideas what this may be? I had new Mintex discs and Brembo pads fitted 30k km's ago last July ( mostly motorway km's ) and didn't touch the back as there was plenty of beef on the pads and the discs were grand.
Any ideas folks?

Shuddering is normally warped discs right?...I know they 2.0t's are quite heavy on discs and pads ...but at 30,000km's? Was think of upgrading the brakes anyway, so would this be a good opportunity to ove up to bigger discs and calipers . What would the cheapest upgrade be? Is there parts from the A6 which are beefier than the A4 2.0t's?

Any advice greatly welcome.

Thanks in advance.

BR
A

Last edited:
can't comment on your issue really. mine do squeal every now and then,but the bite/stopping power is as it should be so I'm leaving it as it is for now.Regards the upgrade I would probably go for S4/RS4 (depending on the stage of tuning on your car) brakes instead of direct replacement or aftermarket brakes. not sure thou ,if that would be the cheapest option.

can't comment on your issue really. mine do squeal every now and then,but the bite/stopping power is as it should be so I'm leaving it as it is for now.Regards the upgrade I would probably go for S4/RS4 (depending on the stage of tuning on your car) brakes instead of direct replacement or aftermarket brakes. not sure thou ,if that would be the cheapest option.

Cheers, oh the squeeling...av' been through that from day 1. I cured that with getting the pads cleaned up and well lubed up with high quality paste for the pads. Was recommended to blast them every now and again with high pressure washer. No, took it for a good blast an hour ago. The brakes stop really well, but coming down from high speed you can really feel a shudder!

As for the upgrade points, thanks for that. My car is standard just now but am going for the GIAC or APR stage 1 / 1.5 in the Summer ( 200bhp to 240 bhp 'ish ), so I will need better brakes by then....am also, sure this brake shudder may probably fail it's Swedish mot in September if I don't get it fixed. It's weird cause the cars stopping very well, just the shudder that's puzzling the sh1t outof me~

Cheers
A

Last edited:
Sounds very much like warped front discs to me. If you are driving on road (not track days) just new, or even better, upgraded discs and pads should cure the problem.

Funnily enough i have taken my 2.0 TFSi back to the garage twice now for discs that are warped, at first they feel rock solid and stop really well, then after a few thousand miles they start shuddering, but the harder i brake the less obvious it is. Braking from speed, for example coming off a motorway onto a slip road, its most noticeable. Surely i havent had 3 bad pairs of discs, is this a common problem on the A4?

Funnily enough i have taken my 2.0 TFSi back to the garage twice now for discs that are warped, at first they feel rock solid and stop really well, then after a few thousand miles they start shuddering, but the harder i brake the less obvious it is. Braking from speed, for example coming off a motorway onto a slip road, its most noticeable. Surely i havent had 3 bad pairs of discs, is this a common problem on the A4?

Not sure Mate...but sounds identical to me in all the symptoms...braking hard too! I didn't buy cheapo discs either?...Mintex jobs....wondering if the Swedish winter has f@ckt the up. Thinking about the S4 brake carrier, larger disc upgrade now and maybe trying Zimmerman discs this time round...with some EBC green stuff.....keep you posted.

BR
A

Last edited: