Monster MotorsportChris Nott
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Stevieb2905
  • 1 Post By MattUK

Thread: Is this common knowledge?

1st Gear

Status

Is this common knowledge?

Hi, I'm pretty new on here but I just discovered something about my air inake you may or maynot know about. Mine has a full service history and the air cleaner was changed fairly recently. I was having a look around trying to spot a coolant leak - see my other thread please if you are able to help, and ended up taking out the ducting leading from the grill to the air box. When I was reassembling I noticed a thin gauze mesh halfway down one of the pieces of duct which was clogged absolutely solid with fine dust, looked like years worth. At service the mechanic has either not known about this or hasn't bothered cleaning it out. I did clean it and am amazed in the difference in acceleration, it was mapped a few months back which made a big difference but cleaning this mesh feels like it's been mapped again, on a par with a mapped/sportcat subaru gb270 Wagon I used to own. Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted but It could be easily overlooked and effectively blocks the air intake, worth a check imo.
    Wrath and gen.heinz guderian like this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

NOZ
    1st Gear

Status
    any pictures would be great

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    take the mesh out
    the service lads usaly do

Tiptronic

Status
    I removed mine from the intake pipe...

Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)

1st Gear

Status
    Is it before the MAF? If so it's to maintain equal flow around it.
    Audi A4 (B7) 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro - Steve Edition in Lava Grey
    BBS Wheels|arm rest|ambipur|345mm S4 brakes|PiperX panel filter|cupra R splitter|Greenstuff Pads|Retrofit Cruise control/DIS|Retrofit Audi Phone|Dension iPod|

Full VCDS equipped for the Moray area

5th Gear

Status
    Pics would be good.
    Nathan

Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve220 View Post
    Is it before the MAF? If so it's to maintain equal flow around it.
    Yes it is; it's in the join between two sections of inlet pipe, just behind the offside headlight. I discovered mine when changing a headlight bulb; cleaned it and put it back.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    Yes it is; it's in the join between two sections of inlet pipe, just behind the offside headlight. I discovered mine when changing a headlight bulb; cleaned it and put it back.
    sounds like the best option to me!
    BBS Wheels|arm rest|ambipur|345mm S4 brakes|PiperX panel filter|cupra R splitter|Greenstuff Pads|Retrofit Cruise control/DIS|Retrofit Audi Phone|Dension iPod|

3rd Gear

Status
    Hmm, sure i didn't see one in mine the other week. Will have to go look again now
    Dolphin Grey 2005 3.2fsi Quattro 6-speed manual A4 Avant S-line, Two tone Leather, Pipercross panel filter, Genuine RS6 style 18" Alloys, Cupra R Lip, Piranha Grooved and dimpled Brakes, Eibach 30mm springs, B5 Front Cups, Rs4 RARB, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Engine covers, Rs4 Grill, Rs4 style fog grills, Lamin-x'd head, fog and tail lights, Adaptive Xenons, Q5 rear wiper, S4 spring clips, Heated Passat Washer jets, DIS and cruise control

Now have genuine VCDS in North Norfolk

5th Gear

Status
    My 2005 doesn't have any mesh in the snorkel part. The top of the air filter box has a thick plastic mesh stopping stuff going into the pipe. The heat shield is attached to the base of the air filter housing but the whole thing lifts out i.e. don't try and unscrewn the heat shield.
    Nathan

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

1st Gear

Status
    To be honest, the entire inlet system of the 2.0 tdi is incredibly asthmatic! I've been tempted to change it, then wake up and realise its only a commuter car.

1st Gear

Status
    Had exactly the same experience, had the car recently serviced at a local independant, and paid extra to have the filter changed, as it was,nt due, but as the car was new to me I thought I would, trying to change my sidelight bulbs to LED recently I had to remove the air intake and the plastic filter insert in the "snorkel" part of the intake was almost completely blocked, with a black dust which seemed to be encrusted on the mesh, I cleaned it and put it back in place, though I did,nt partculary notice any performance increase though it does seem to be slightly better on fuel now.

1st Gear

Status
    Sorry, my PC is kaput, not got a clue how to post pics from the ipad, it's pretty easy to find though, I unscrewed the 2 bolts at the front and the 3 sections of duct came apart quite easily, it's easy to spot after that and just pops out for cleaning. I used the hoover but it looks as if it may be designed to be washed out, it will dry quickly. Mine is the 3.0tdi, not sure if he setup on the 2.0 is the same.

1st Gear

Status
    I can't find this on mine, 2.0 tdi BRD 2007.

I took out the plastic duct that goes from the grill to the air filter - 2 sections.

5th Gear

Status
    I know this might be going off on a tangent on this thread but do any of you have this fitted on your air intakes. It sits at the top of the intake. Not sure if this would prevent what you have experienced. I have it fitted to mine....suppose to be for ice and snow and stuff for IKEA land I guess.
    Audi B7 A4 FWD 2.0T > Engine > Intake > ES#436254 Cold Weather Pre-Filter - 8E0129054

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Molnboman View Post
    I know this might be going off on a tangent on this thread but do any of you have this fitted on your air intakes. It sits at the top of the intake. Not sure if this would prevent what you have experienced. I have it fitted to mine....suppose to be for ice and snow and stuff for IKEA land I guess.
    Audi B7 A4 FWD 2.0T > Engine > Intake > ES#436254 Cold Weather Pre-Filter - 8E0129054
    Yes I have this on mine. I thought this is what this topic has been about all along?

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Molnboman View Post
    Yup; we're talking about the same thing.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    Yup; we're talking about the same thing.
    Doh, sorry thought you were talking about a filter inside the middle of the two parts.....apologies.

A

5th Gear

Status
    So did I.
    Nathan

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    and me

1st Gear

Status
    me too, I guess mine has been removed

Spooling

Status
    Just checked mine haven't got one either

Neutral

Status
    Guys ideally you all need to replace this filter as I saw this thread and wondered if mine had one. I've not had my car very long so I thought I'd just check the air filter condition aswell. I noticed that the pre-filter had also been taken out of mine, which I wasn't too bothered about, but when I checked the main air filter I noticed that I'd had a mouse nesting inside. So although it may seem useless, Audi must have put the pre-filter inside to stop this sort of thing happening. So I'm just gonna replace mine and check it from time to time.

Neutral

Status
    This was a life saver for me.. When I flooded the car last week that filter stopped all the crap flowing straight into the air filter.. When we took it apart all the leafs and mud etc got stuck there. I washed it all out left it to dry and put it back in.

All I was left with was a sodden/clean air filter..

Worth having I would say

cheers

matt
    Last edited by MattUK; 2nd August 2013 at 09:37.
    A4_MaJiK likes this.

Spooling

Status
    Gonna price this up from Tps