Fitting H7 HID Kit to Bi-Xenon Projector Housing

jimbooboo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm going down the OEM Bi-Xenon headlight route and sourced the drivers side headlight for fairly cheap without a ballast or bulbs.

I used to seed HID kits so I have some ballasts and **** loads of bulbs so I thought it might be a good idea to go down that route.

I know they will work electronically but the H7 is physically a different shape to the OEM D1S bulb which has a box on the back of the bulb.

I managed to trim a bit of the H7 base plate and it sat in the housing fine, the only problem is clipping it in, does anyone know of any sort of adapters out there can let me sit a H7 type bulb into a D1S housing?

I know going down this route I wont have the adaptive/self leveling headlights, but I really don't care as you wouldn't have this anyway on those eBay Xenon units.

Failing on finding an adapter, I could fabricate one out of some nylon block so it clips in right and then run an extra loom through it. Then if I do decide to go fully OEM and get ballasts and Bulbs then I can just swap them out..

Anyone get any other tips or tried something similar?

Cheers, James

So as I have been unable to source an adapter, I have made my own out of some off cut of nylon6-6.

The focal point is a little off, and its a bit scattered. Ive had a play with the position of the bulb and mounting the bulb further into the housing seems to rectify this problem. I need to make some adjustments to the housing by griding down some small tabs to allow the bulb to sit lower. This wont have any effect on the moutning of OEM D1S bulbs so its win win really.

The baseplate of the bulb needs to be modified very slitly to alow it to sit flat without movement.

It holds the bulb in fine and is very secure, just need to make it mount further in.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I'm going down the OEM Bi-Xenon headlight route and sourced the drivers side headlight for fairly cheap without a ballast or bulbs.

I used to seed HID kits so I have some ballasts and **** loads of bulbs so I thought it might be a good idea to go down that route.

I know they will work electronically but the H7 is physically a different shape to the OEM D1S bulb which has a box on the back of the bulb.

I managed to trim a bit of the H7 base plate and it sat in the housing fine, the only problem is clipping it in, does anyone know of any sort of adapters out there can let me sit a H7 type bulb into a D1S housing?

I know going down this route I wont have the adaptive/self leveling headlights, but I really don't care as you wouldn't have this anyway on those eBay Xenon units.

Failing on finding an adapter, I could fabricate one out of some nylon block so it clips in right and then run an extra loom through it. Then if I do decide to go fully OEM and get ballasts and Bulbs then I can just swap them out..

Anyone get any other tips or tried something similar?

Cheers, James

Edit: I was thinking you wanted to do the mod on a Audi A3.

I got your original message in an email mentioning something about it blowing the wiper motor?

As far as the car is concerned it would still think there are halogen headlights installed as I'm not changing to OEM bulbs and ballasts.

Thought this would have a bit more interest to be honest...

Cheers, James

Well I've found an almost perfect solution to get the beam pattern correct, just need to do some final tweeks. In the meantime I sprayed the chrome lip black:

before
Xen1

after
Xen2

All I need to purchase now is a set of dustcaps for one of headlights