Have i the right rns-e adapter??

tuffy

Reaction score
Hi guys
Went to fit the Rns-e this morning......A few problems.....

-Not 100% sure i have the right lead as i only have 3 blocks and the adapter has four (i have bose)
-Unit powered up, put in code, all fine, although unit appears to be in mute mode (nothing from speakers and line through speaker symbol on screen of unit)
-Dis was flashing between 'Phone' and 'Radio'??? (even when id turned bluetooth off!)

And what is the small yellow plug hanging from my dash?? couldnt see anywhere on the Rns-e to fit this

Attachments

• rnse 2 010.jpg
    rnse 2 010.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 543
The 4th plug is for external CD changers.

You need to remove the metal pin from the yellow plug and plug this into the spare slot in the white dual-plug diversity plug.

Hmm, not 100% sure on the flashing.

The 4th plug is for external CD changers.

You need to remove the metal pin from the yellow plug and plug this into the spare slot in the white dual-plug diversity plug.

Hmm, not 100% sure on the flashing.

Thanks for the quick response mate. so it should be the brown plug thats spare??
So the pin and lead are plugged into the spare slot in the dual plug? or just the pin and the cable is redundant ??

Any ideas on the mute situation??

Last edited:
Yup, brown plug is spare.

This is what you should have,

$T2eC16VHJFoE9nh6oVcDBP+qR3DcbQ~~60_35.JPG

The aerial plugs into the aerial connection, which you've already done. The yellow plug has an aerial connection inside it, you need to remove the yellow plug and this aerial that was inside the yellow plug should go inside the empty slot of the dual connector, making the yellow plug redundant.

You should trace the MUTE lead from the stereo and see where its going to in the harness, sounds like something sending a signal down there.

Thanks you. how do i indentify the mute lead?

Last edited:
Thanks you. how do indentify the mute lead?
normally a brown cable, but can vary from loom to loom. Have a look at the diagram on the rns-e that tells u what pin-out does what, find the one labelled mute then check the cable connected to it. Upload a pic of the loom u have if u can

I've heard of two kinds of errors in the mute lead on looms:
- some have the mute tied to 12V, so it's permanently muted
- some have it connected to the vehicle harness, which has a long lead on it that acts as an aerial and mutes the RNS-E

It seems there are still some incorrectly manufactured adapter harnesses being sold - this has been a problem for many years :keule:

normally a brown cable, but can vary from loom to loom. Have a look at the diagram on the rns-e that tells u what pin-out does what, find the one labelled mute then check the cable connected to it. Upload a pic of the loom u have if u can

Thanks. Here is a pic of my loom. Hope this is ok??

Attachments

• cable 002.jpg
    cable 002.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 225
You'll need to inspect it yourself tbh, not much we can do with pictures.

Have a look on the stereo pin-outs of the RNS-E

audi-rns-e-1.gif

From that, determine the wire from the loom that goes into TEL MUTE, then trace this wire from the loom and into your original wiring, see which pin of which connector this wire goes into and compare it to the stereo pins out of the old stereo from this:

audi_concert-cd.gif

Thanks again. So I'm looking for the pin for tele mute that comes from my original harness to hopefully line up with the tele mute pin on the rns-e??

So it could be a case that the mute pine is in incorrectly positioned on the new loom?

You can clearly see that the lead has dual mute wires again, similar to the last mute issue poster. You simply need to cut one of the green (from what I can see in your picture) wires from pin 13 (TEL-MUTE) that goes to the 8 pin power connector and your mute issue with go away.

So in reference to my picture which green wire do I need to remove?

Just to update this thread.....If anyone else has the mute issue, cutting the green wire as mentioned in post 12 did the trick, all working well apart from a small bit of coding is required..

Thanks to all the helped with this thread