Is my Camshaft on its way out?

jimbooboo

Reaction score
Been working on my car today, cleanign up some oil spills and replacing a couple EGR gaskets etc and I noticed that there is a low pitched thumping noise coming from around the intake area which become more aparent when you pull the flat pipe from the airbox and have an exposed opening and it becomes really loud.

Its a 2006 BPW engine with 70k on the clock cabriolet S-line

I found a few threads on the web about camshaft/tappets wearing such that they dont quite open/close properly causing, what I seen people refer to as, 'blowback'.

If this is the case, what do I need? I have **** loads of tools but what about any special tools etc? Im pretty confident in doing the work myself.

Cheers, James

Last edited:
Been working on my car today, cleanign up some oil spills and replacing a couple EGR gaskets etc and I noticed that there is a low pitched thumping noise coming from around the intake area which become more aparent when you pull the flat pipe from the airbox and have an exposed opening and it becomes really loud.

Its a 2006 BPW engine with 70k on the clock cabriolet S-line

I found a few threads on the web about camshaft/tappets wearing such that they dont quite open/close properly causing, what I seen people refer to as, 'blowback'.

If this is the case, what do I need? I have **** loads of tools but what about any special tools etc? Im pretty confident in doing the work myself.

Cheers, James

Hello James,

As much as I hate to admit it, but that is the engine with the camshaft fault, however it only starts going at 100k+ miles. I recall even after I did the work on my Audi I still heard some thumping through the inlet. The best way to check is to get the rocker cover off and have a look at the cam lobes, in particular have a look at the chamfer on the highest point of the lobes which will help identify how far the cam is worn. I have since then fitted a Federal Mugal Cam, done 20k miles and have had no noticeable signs of wear.

I started a post (with lots of pictures, procedures pictures etc) which has the link below

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s...e-blow-back-noise-lack-power-help-please.html

Let me know if you need any more info as I had to change the cam TWICE ! (blockage in cylinder head screwed me over)

Oh dear. Best source some parts then. I'm tempted to get an uprated one that offers a bit more power but I'm struggling to find any places that sell such a thing. What tuners are there that sell uprated diesel parts?

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers, James

Oh dear. Best source some parts then. I'm tempted to get an uprated one that offers a bit more power but I'm struggling to find any places that sell such a thing. What tuners are there that sell uprated diesel parts?

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers, James

Hi james
theres and excel parts list on my original post which you may find useful. I don't know if you can get uprated cams and to be honest don't think it would be a good idea as the surface speed on the cams is too high which probably leads to the wear in the first place. Plus you can get a stage 1 and 2 remap which gives a significant amount of power increase.

all the procedure from the workshop manual for replacing the cam are on the post, you could take some pics of the cam lobes and post them up if you like.

regards.

Evening, I recently had my turbo changed and a couple of weeks later noticed my engine sounds really "tappy" didn't notice it before but maybe that's cos I was focused on the turbo.... Indy garage has suggested that the camshaft may need replacing and that migh be a sticky valve although there's no thumping sound..... Do you think this sounds about right? If it is, any idea what the costs for repair might be?

Evening, I recently had my turbo changed and a couple of weeks later noticed my engine sounds really "tappy" didn't notice it before but maybe that's cos I was focused on the turbo.... Indy garage has suggested that the camshaft may need replacing and that migh be a sticky valve although there's no thumping sound..... Do you think this sounds about right? If it is, any idea what the costs for repair might be?

Hi jayD

There tappy noise may be worn hydraulic lifters, there is a way to check them by pressing them down and checking the gap.

If your camshaft is on its way out, your Indy should be able to tell by looking at the chamfer on the camshaft. Have a look at my earlier link and see what a worn camshaft looks like.

Also google worn camshaft myturbodiesel.com and have a look at that guide

Thanks, I've just been reading them :) does it sound right that I only hear it when the car is in gear? If in in neutral coasting down a hill there's no tapping?? Think it's a job for next weekend... Wedding this weekend so can't be getting too messy

Thanks, I've just been reading them :) does it sound right that I only hear it when the car is in gear? If in in neutral coasting down a hill there's no tapping?? Think it's a job for next weekend... Wedding this weekend so can't be getting too messy

You should hear it all the time... well louder at higher revs...

No I only hear the tapping when it's in gear, not much louder at higher revs but definitely faster