Tyre wear

rizzini7

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Painted my brakes today and noticed the front tyres the inside edge has worn quite badly. There's about an inch where the tread has gone. Where as the rears are fine all over and the rest of the fronts have plenty of tread. Have only been on for about 12k. When I lowered it I have the tracking and camber checked as they said it was fine. Wheels are 8.0jx18h2 et43 with 235/40/18 tyres at 38 psi. Any ideas what may have caused this?

Painted my brakes today and noticed the front tyres the inside edge has worn quite badly. There's about an inch where the tread has gone. Where as the rears are fine all over and the rest of the fronts have plenty of tread. Have only been on for about 12k. When I lowered it I have the tracking and camber checked as they said it was fine. Wheels are 8.0jx18h2 et43 with 235/40/18 tyres at 38 psi. Any ideas what may have caused this?

Front tyre inside edge wear is normally too much toe out or negative camber. Are the bushes on your front arms ok? Any play in either front wheel when jacked up in the air? The tyre pressure of 38psi seems very high too, check with a tyre shop/Audi. Try a different garage for another tracking check and suspension inspection. Good luck!

Sounds like tracking to me, maybe get it looked at again coz it shouldn't wear the inside of the tire like that.

Cheers guys, cars getting new oil pump Saturday. So I'll get my mate to check the front over. When I had the camber checked they told me they couldn't adjust the front?? Guide on the car says 38psi. Keep in mind it's avant, quattro and v6 lump so assumed it was correct

That's correct, front can't be adjusted. If both tyres are wearing the same amount on both sides, then it's not a bush or control arm, as they would never fail on both sides at the same time. So I say it's just your tracking needs a little adjustment.

Thanks mate, i'll get him to check and see what he thinks of the tyres. theres no wires etc showing. At least trackings cheaper then the 4 wheel alignment. Apart from maybe needing some new tyres. Suppose I've probably gotta change all four? Can't seem to find the fk452's anymore assume they've been superseded

Thanks mate, i'll get him to check and see what he thinks of the tyres. theres no wires etc showing. At least trackings cheaper then the 4 wheel alignment. Apart from maybe needing some new tyres. Suppose I've probably gotta change all four? Can't seem to find the fk452's anymore assume they've been superseded

The joys of owning a Quattro Mate. Yep, all four boots will need to be done....

Hope you get a result.

Cheers
A

Was talking to a lad at work today that's knows his stuff. He seems to think the lad that did the camber and 4 wheel alignment messed up and possibly set it up as a 2wd rather than 4wd. Would that make sense? Can I just get it adjusted at any garage £25 tracking jobby or does it need to go on the posh computer and be set up again £80 jobby?

Best to do 4 wheel alignment as 4 wheel drive or go back and get the garage to get it done properly

Was talking to a lad at work today that's knows his stuff. He seems to think the lad that did the camber and 4 wheel alignment messed up and possibly set it up as a 2wd rather than 4wd. Would that make sense? Can I just get it adjusted at any garage £25 tracking jobby or does it need to go on the posh computer and be set up again £80 jobby?

Don't go for the cheaper option. Chances are, it'll prove a false economy.

Well my mate confirmed tracking is out and everything else is fine. He's put the wheels on the back and reckons ill get another 8k out of them. Just need to find a decent garage for alignment now