Voice Control worthwhile option or not?

Andy27168

Reaction score
Hi,
Having recently bought my first Audi a 2006 Audi A4 Convertible Quattro Sport 3.0 TDI, Six Speed Manual, its got some nice options inc. RNS-E Sat Nav with OEM Bluetooth, and have been considering additional ones. One of which is the OEM voice control, has anyone else done this mod, is it worth it or would I be better off spending my money on something else. Anyone suggest who the best people to do it?

I use it everyday, so for me for safety & convenience whilst driving, its totally worthwhile.

We install this system if of interest.

I use it everyday, so for me for safety & convenience whilst driving, its totally worthwhile.

Nigel

What does the voice control cover? Is it just for making and answering calls, or does it also control navigation; i.e. entering routes etc?

Depends on the level you have, if you have mfsw & BT, then its sds low just for phone, if you have the correct rns, mfsw & bt, then you can have the high version that covers nav, bt & radio.

i did the SDS hack to my RNSE a week or so ago. Bit of a ****** wiring wise (couldnt get the RNSE head unit out), but other than that its fairly easy.

The only problem I have is not knowing the commands, or have a command list to refer to. You can ask help when using it, but to me thats not great. Defo worth while if you have the time as it costs next to nothing to do.

Depends on the level you have, if you have mfsw & BT, then its sds low just for phone, if you have the correct rns, mfsw & bt, then you can have the high version that covers nav, bt & radio.

Nigel(NHN) did this for me. I must have the High Version as I have Nav, BT & Radio. Wouldn't be without it now. A real cool feature I think as well as "safety & convenience whilst driving". Very worthwhile and not that expensive.

Andy

Reactions: NHN

I have a 2007 (57-reg) B7 A4 saloon with OEM RNSE and bluetooth, but no multi-function steering wheel. I love the RNSE, but have always found it fiddly to use on the move because I have to take my eyes off the road and one hand off the wheel. So a lot of the time, I tend not to bother with Nav, outbound calls or SD cards, and just use the radio, and bluetooth for inbound calls.

Nigel(NHN) did this for me. I must have the High Version as I have Nav, BT & Radio. Wouldn't be without it now. A real cool feature I think as well as "safety & convenience whilst driving". Very worthwhile and not that expensive.

Andy

How much was "not that expensive" in your case?

You'd need an mfsw to utilise the system properly, so normal sds costs would have the addition of the wheel & maybe modules.

I have a complete wheel with airbag & paddles available if of interest.

Cheers for all the replies, Sounds like quite a worthwhile option then, what i was frightened off was a system that had recognition problems similar to that other major German manufacturer. NHN how can I tell how much functionality I would get on my car it has the RNSE OEM Bluetooth and a MFSW? and was registered in March 2006. What sort of price are you looking at to install this? as I would rather give my hard earned to a fellow forum member or a forum sponsor, have you a web site?

Ping me a PM please.

You would get phone, Nav & Radio voice usage & it all comes down to how you use it, but I've fitted for varied nationalities (including scousers) & they all got used to the system & understood them ok.

Reactions: Geebo
Ping me a PM please.

You would get phone, Nav & Radio voice usage & it all comes down to how you use it, but I've fitted for varied nationalities (including scousers) & they all got used to the system & understood them ok.

Cheers, PM Sent

Hi,
Having recently bought my first Audi a 2006 Audi A4 Convertible Quattro Sport 3.0 TDI, Six Speed Manual, its got some nice options inc. RNS-E Sat Nav with OEM Bluetooth, and have been considering additional ones. One of which is the OEM voice control, has anyone else done this mod, is it worth it or would I be better off spending my money on something else. Anyone suggest who the best people to do it?

It's 100% worth it, couldn't be without now.........

Take it from me ^^^ Nigel (NHN) is yer man, top bloke, top work

Reactions: Geebo and Sandra
Cheers for the heads up Mac, I think after this thread Voice control is going to the top of my "to do" list :), together with footwell lighting, puddle lights and Cruise Control.

Well having looked around on the forum at the retro-fits that were possible I decided to buy a VCDS cable off of NHN, Thanks Nigel.
I have now had Cruise Control fitted and coded, Puddle lights fitted (though I have an unknown fault with the passenger door at the moment) and whilst playing with VCDS I activated the SDS.
So that's two and a bit mods of my list.
Having done a lot of retro fits on my other car, I,m going to attempt to do the high end SDS hack fit, I have got a copy of the 650 & 660 SDS Software, and I,m aware that I will have to wire the microphone straight into the RNSE, and then to the Bluetooth module.
I intend to locate my existing mic cable cut it and splice both ends with some mic cable and route it to the RNSE, pin up the ends, and fit them into the mic in & out connections. I have made an assumption that my existing mic cable is a two core screened cable, but I,m at a loss where to connect the screen on the "C" connector, indeed should I even connect it.
I have used the search function but I cannot find any definitive answers or they are conflicting,
what I would like to know is,
Where is the Bluetooth module located on a 2006 B7 Cab?
The mic is in the overhead light fitting, and the cable I think is run down the passenger side "A" pillar, can anyone confirm that this is correct?
Indeed any advice on doing this would be welcome.

Mic wire runs down as you say passenger a pillar, just cut into in that pillar, it is actually a coaxial, so inner & out, whereas the 8P has an actual green & black wire inside a black covering, then wire from there, no need to touch the BT module.

Reactions: Andy27168
Nigel is indeed a great guy & very knowledgeable. His attention to detail which I guess comes from his vast experience is second to none. He fitted the newer RNS, AMI & voice control to my 2006 B7 A4 3.0 TDI quattro cab. I also use it every day & for me it's a brilliant & worthwhile mod. I agree the multi function steering wheel is a must.

Reactions: NHN
Nigel is indeed a great guy & very knowledgeable. His attention to detail which I guess comes from his vast experience is second to none. He fitted the newer RNS, AMI & voice control to my 2006 B7 A4 3.0 TDI quattro cab. I also use it every day & for me it's a brilliant & worthwhile mod. I agree the multi function steering wheel is a must.

Whats AMI?
"Edit" Just answered my own question by googling it doh, Audi Music Interface, is this possible and still have a CD Changer? I was going to install an Aux in 3.5mm socket straight from the RNSE Aux in connections is this the same/similar thing?

Last edited:
The AMI unit is fitted where the cd multi changer was in the glove box. I don't personally use cd's anymore so the AMI with iPod lead made more sense to me. Having said that the mk II RNS will take two 32Gb SD cards so theres plenty of scope for music storage there too.

Hi all. I have an 54 plate a6 saloon with nav, Bluetooth, radio ect and multifunction steering wheel. However, when I press the voice button on the right hand side of wheel nothing happens. No beep, no nothing. In my manual it mentions about voice activation but I can't get it to work.. Any help would be gratefull.

Chances are if you have Bluetooth the software is too old and the voice control is not enabled.

Early A6's were switched off.

Check your MMI version and report back, press CAR and then VERSION and report back the top line.

Software 0500, yes very old. Highest version available is 5570.

So I would get the car updated, you can buy disks and do it yourself or get a professional to do it for you.

I did an A8 from 0350 to 5570 yesterday it took 2 hours, and it has to be done in stages form 0350, it went wrong and trashed the MMI controller firmware, but I managed to recover it using a few tricks, so be careful.

Typical issues when you update are...

Trashed phone ECU
Trashed AMP or AMP in component protection requiring a dealer visit.
Lost Instrument cluster and battery settings from the car menu ( can be fixed with VCDS)

I can't remember exactly but I think 0500 can go directly to 5150 then to 5570.
But if not it has to go 0500 to 1100 to 5150 to 5570

Reactions: gupsterg
Well I would get it done anyway as you will get extra features in the MMI.

1. 3D views in the mapping
2. TMC will work.
3. Fixes for the Bluetooth getting improved phone compatibility
4. Enables voices control

Reactions: gupsterg and NHN
Hi,
Well I finally got round to rerouting my phone mic today but I quickly come to a halt.
I removed the RNSE and glove box no problems at all, but I cannot locate my existing mic cable to splice into. Now I "thought" my Bluetooth unit was under my passenger seat, so I removed the passenger side kick panel, to reveal a whole bank of connectors and looms, and thinking this is where the mic cable would routed to the Bluetooth unit, and where I intended to splice the mic cable.
Well it seems its not there after referring to the workshop manual "I think" the Bluetooth unit is on the drivers side under seat (confusion in manual with drivers and passenger side on LHD and RHD cars). Can anyone confirm this?
I recapped on this thread and NHN referred to removing the "A" pillar windscreen trim, and splicing behind here, I tried to remove mine and it seems to come off so far but was really making some horrific cracking noises, so I stopped frightened I was going to break it.
Can anybody help in telling me how this trim comes in one piece?

1st remove the light assembly & check which side the mic wire goes down, then remove grab handle of that side, then the little airbag cap label & behind this is one bolt, then sun visor, then you need to slowly prise it away towards the center of the car at the top, then once the fixings have popped out, pull it up & out, its very fiddly tbh, so be careful you don't break anything.

If you aren't to keen, then we can do it for you :)

1st remove the light assembly & check which side the mic wire goes down, then remove grab handle of that side, then the little airbag cap label & behind this is one bolt, then sun visor, then you need to slowly prise it away towards the center of the car at the top, then once the fixings have popped out, pull it up & out, its very fiddly tbh, so be careful you don't break anything.

If you aren't to keen, then we can do it for you :)

I think you are confused Nigel I have a Cabriolet, so no grab handle.
The Mic cable definetly run down the LHS A piller, I really wanted to avoid removing the A piller trim, so I thought I would pick the cable up at the connector blocks behind the footwell trim, well mine is definetly not there making me think that maybe my Bluetooth box is on the drivers side, and the cable runs across the dash and never dropping down to the footwell connection point, but if thats the case why did,nt they run the mic cable down the drivers side A piller?? (confused).
So hence why I decide to try to remove the passenger side trim and splice there, just not sure how to completely remove the trim, as it doesnt seem to want to release :(

I'd be interested in this Nigel. What sort of price are we looking at?

Depends on what's fitted already, do you have an rns-e, what year is your car?

Depends on what's fitted already, do you have an rns-e, what year is your car?
ok. So I have a 2006 Cab. It has the Audi Navigation. I think it is a BNS.... Does that sound right?
ideally I want to put in the RNS-E & Bluetooth.

Steve

Well ping me a PM, I can install do rns-e, bt & sds, needs an mfsw as a prerequisite aswell for sds.

Well ping me a PM, I can install do rns-e, bt & sds, needs an mfsw as a prerequisite aswell for sds.

Perfect, thanks. Have sent you a PM. I also forgot to say I have a MFSW. :)