Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    4wd + turbo = fun!

Status

HELP! 2.0 TFSI engine stalling intermittently

Please help!

My 2.0 TFSI engine keeps stalling intermittently at any road speed/engine rev. During low speeds/revs the engine stalls, whilst at higher speeds it stalls and restarts itself. I've noticed it's slightly slower starting from cold too, but after filling up the petrol tank full (Shell V Power 99 RON) it still starts and stalls the same way. It's getting quite dangerous to drive as under acceleration I can sometimes slow down too quickly for the car behind. Just once the engine management light came on and stayed on. I stopped several times on my journey to restart the engine but the light stayed on. After 4 hours at my appointment though it started cold with the light staying off. Not come on since either. The engine runs smoothly with good boost, without any misfire otherwise. The engine has done 70,000 miles, full Audi service history inc recent cambelt, flush/oil/filters/plugs services. The coil packs were all changed under recall, plus the garage I bought it off had just fitted a new genuine HPFP (the sensor on top was broken). Not sure if the follower got changed too, nor the condition of the cam lobe. Standard engine (not yet remapped) other than new Forge turbo bypass valve and PCV breather catch can kit (which Forge fitted). In the past 2 weeks I've removed the intake pipe to the throttle body and cleaned it out with carb cleaner -which made a difference to the throttle but the stalling remains. Filling up the car today confirmed 24 mpg based on mileage.

Today I drove to Manchester and back on a family visit. It cut out several times -

Round a roundabout accelerating onto the M42. On all motorways it was then ok.
    Going up steep hills on A & B roads it cut out loads of times. Downhill it was always fine. Then stalled turning at junctions.

I think maybe it could be the in tank fuel pump? The car runs perfectly otherwise.

If so, does any body know (including Olly - Olethalb with the K04 DTM ) if I fit the RS4 fuel pump like he has whether I need the RS4 tank controller as well?

I've booked the car in at Audi Coventry for Monday to have diagnostic check, but does anyone have any ideas in the meantime?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Alistair
    Last edited by Big Al; 28th April 2013 at 21:14.
    Audi A4 B7 2004 red 2.0 TFSI Quattro Sport saloon, Servotronic steering, MFSW, CDIS, DRL with Coming Home, auto dual xenon lights/wipers/mirrors, split folding rear seats, 3rd headrest, centre armrest, Isofix mounts, RS4 rear ARB, pedals & carbon dash trims; Audi TTS 9Jx18alloys (2 sets), Yokohama AD08 summer, Conti TS830P winter 245/40/18 tyres, TPI 15/20 spacers/lockers, Pipercross filter, GFB DV+ turbo valve, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Osram Silverstar Xenarc D1S bulbs. Build thread

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Sorry to hear about your car trouble Mate....Never came across that before at all in the near 12 months of ownership of my same engined bus. I would have thought it may be the symptoms of an under serviced car, but with just a recent service done am scratching my head over this one. The diagnostic check should throw up some answers. If I were you ,I wouldn't drive your car anymore until you can get it checked out.
    Good luck and keep us informed.
    BR
    A

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Molnboman View Post
    Sorry to hear about your car trouble Mate....Never came across that before at all in the near 12 months of ownership of my same engined bus. I would have thought it may be the symptoms of an under serviced car, but with just a recent service done am scratching my head over this one. The diagnostic check should throw up some answers. If I were you ,I wouldn't drive your car anymore until you can get it checked out.
    Good luck and keep us informed.
    BR
    A
    Possibly a MAF issue? In which case unplug the MAF and see if the engine runs better ( yes better ) and if it does there's your answer, replace the MAF.

4wd + turbo = fun!

Status
    Thanks guys, just updated the first post. Any further help please?
    Audi A4 B7 2004 red 2.0 TFSI Quattro Sport saloon, Servotronic steering, MFSW, CDIS, DRL with Coming Home, auto dual xenon lights/wipers/mirrors, split folding rear seats, 3rd headrest, centre armrest, Isofix mounts, RS4 rear ARB, pedals & carbon dash trims; Audi TTS 9Jx18alloys (2 sets), Yokohama AD08 summer, Conti TS830P winter 245/40/18 tyres, TPI 15/20 spacers/lockers, Pipercross filter, GFB DV+ turbo valve, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Osram Silverstar Xenarc D1S bulbs. Build thread

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    have it checked for fault codes
    as your light came on the codes will be stored.

4wd + turbo = fun!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    have it checked for fault codes
    as your light came on the codes will be stored.
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

Coventry Audi have scanned it for faults and found the in tank fuel pump faulty. They wouldn't fit an RS4 item despite my pleas, so I've just had to have a standard A4 one fitted for now, along with a fuel filter. At some point in the future I'll have MRC fit an RS4 in tank pump. Olly confirmed his works with the A4 TFSI Quattro fuel pump controller -which saves having replace it (& dropping the fuel tank to fit).

Alistair

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    the RS4 wont be any better than the standard infp

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

Coventry Audi have scanned it for faults and found the in tank fuel pump faulty. They wouldn't fit an RS4 item despite my pleas, so I've just had to have a standard A4 one fitted for now, along with a fuel filter. At some point in the future I'll have MRC fit an RS4 in tank pump. Olly confirmed his works with the A4 TFSI Quattro fuel pump controller -which saves having replace it (& dropping the fuel tank to fit).

Alistair
    Glad you got it fixed....now I wouldn't have thought of that? What was the damage for the pump btw.

Cheers
    A

4wd + turbo = fun!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Molnboman View Post
    Glad you got it fixed....now I wouldn't have thought of that? What was the damage for the pump btw.

Cheers
    A

Filter, pump, 6 hours (inc road testing) = £839.99

3rd Gear

Status
    HOW MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4wd + turbo = fun!

Status
    And it's still stalling!!!!

Happened several times today whilst driving to and from a lovely sunny day picnic.

Flipping heck, looks like Coventry Audi have some answering to do. It does run smoother with the new in tank pump - when it runs ok. But it stalls the same way as before. So the fuel filter is new. They did check the condition of the camshafts inc lobe & follower for the HPFP - which were fine.

The HPFP it was new from Audi beginning Oct 2012 - just before I bought the car. I have the receipt for it so maybe worth swapping out? What else can cause this? There's no misfire, only stalling. The fuel tank is still almost full with Shell V Power. The check engine light hasn't displayed since Audi had it.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Big Al; 6th May 2013 at 23:42.

Neutral

Status
    Was the fuel pump the only fault code stored? You need a print-out of this diagnosis to confirm the fact. Also, check the basics, e.g plugs, air filter, vacuum leaks etc.

5th Gear

Status
    Jaysus H Christ Al.....I feel your pain! There is nothing worse than shellin' out serious money only to find it hasn't solved the problem. Keep a cool head down at the dealer ....keep calm and bury the emotion at the counter.

Good luck,
    A

4wd + turbo = fun!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GarJE View Post
    Was the fuel pump the only fault code stored? You need a print-out of this diagnosis to confirm the fact. Also, check the basics, e.g plugs, air filter, vacuum leaks etc.
    Well, I got my car back to them this afternoon (picked up a new convertible A3 2.0TDi loan). I did keep my cool but strongly said I wouldn't be paying any more money, which they agreed.

They say the fault codes previously seen all related to the in tank pump. But I never saw the printout. This time no engine light shown. Plugs almost new, air filter just new, checked for vacuum leaks/loose items myself yesterday evening. The MAF is ok I think. Their head technician is to review the work so far and look into things. He did say once an in tank pump & fuel filter are fitted, they work immediately - so 'air bubbles in system?' quoted to me by service desk is incorrect.

I'll keep you all posted!

3rd Gear

Status
    Hope it gets sorted mate
    Dolphin Grey 2005 3.2fsi Quattro 6-speed manual A4 Avant S-line, Two tone Leather, Pipercross panel filter, Genuine RS6 style 18" Alloys, Cupra R Lip, Piranha Grooved and dimpled Brakes, Eibach 30mm springs, B5 Front Cups, Rs4 RARB, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Engine covers, Rs4 Grill, Rs4 style fog grills, Lamin-x'd head, fog and tail lights, Adaptive Xenons, Q5 rear wiper, S4 spring clips, Heated Passat Washer jets, DIS and cruise control

Now have genuine VCDS in North Norfolk

4wd + turbo = fun!

Status
    Well, here's an update.

I picked the car up yesterday after Coventry Audi said they haven't been able to find a fault with the car. Except a clutch pedal sensor (£16.15) which one technician thought was faulty. I paid for the part but not the fitting. They've had the car for 9 days!

I asked this technician about the MAF, MAP & fuel pressure sensors, the vacuum lines, the N75 waste gate frequency control valve and the diagnostics he had run. No faults found, no codes.

So I drove home hoping it was fixed, but hadn't even arrived before it stalled/restarted several times! I've driven approx 25 miles in 24hrs for a few trips since collecting the car and it's stalled and or stalled/restarted about 10 times already! The last stall happened moving off from some traffic lights and the Range Rover behind me almost hit my car! The driver gave me some agro, but I managed to quickly restart and drive off quickly. The car continues to run smoothly otherwise.

Guys please help! this is driving me nuts and it's flipping dangerous!! My wife & 8 week old son has to travel in this car often.

3rd Gear

Status
    Wow, they obviously took it for a good test run then! Is you're mpg not quite low aswel? That's in the region of what i get doing 5 mile trips to work. Clutch sensor seems a common fault. I just assumed when faulty it usually causes the car to hold the revs on gear change and stop cruise control from working. ( i may be wrong)

Are they having it back again FOC? If not i think id be finding a decent Indy garage if i was you.
    Dolphin Grey 2005 3.2fsi Quattro 6-speed manual A4 Avant S-line, Two tone Leather, Pipercross panel filter, Genuine RS6 style 18" Alloys, Cupra R Lip, Piranha Grooved and dimpled Brakes, Eibach 30mm springs, B5 Front Cups, Rs4 RARB, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Engine covers, Rs4 Grill, Rs4 style fog grills, Lamin-x'd head, fog and tail lights, Adaptive Xenons, Q5 rear wiper, S4 spring clips, Heated Passat Washer jets, DIS and cruise control

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rizzini7 View Post
    Wow, they obviously took it for a good test run then! Is you're mpg not quite low aswel? That's in the region of what i get doing 5 mile trips to work. Clutch sensor seems a common fault. I just assumed when faulty it usually causes the car to hold the revs on gear change and stop cruise control from working. ( i may be wrong)

Are they having it back again FOC? If not i think id be finding a decent Indy garage if i was you.
    Plus 1 on this comment. Get a recommended indy VAG garage in your area and get them to check it out.....this is getting ridiculous now...Coventry Audi should never have given you the car back in that condition, and it would appear that no one took it out for a good test drive either. Makes your blood boil....Get a second opinion and give Coventry Audi a body swerve Mate.

BR
    A

4wd + turbo = fun!

Status
    An update. My car is back with Coventry Audi as a) they will repair for free b) I needed a loan car for free. So here's hoping they can fix it. They noticed the temperature gauge fluctuates from 90deg to 70-80deg too.

B7 2.0 TFSI Quattro

Status
    Big Al, I just found this on one of the forums I've been searching through.

looks like you need to inform Audi about this!!!!

i believe your problem is in bold below??

10. Low Fuel Pressure Sensor Failure

Background/Symptom:
    You may get the following DTC’s:
    012555 - Low Pressure Fuel regulation: Fuel Pressure Outside Specification
    P310B - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent - MIL ON

004767 - Low-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulation: Pressure too High
    P129F - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded – Intermittent

-The first symptom is typically stalling when first starting the car cold.
    -Typically, the problem gets worse, and can lead to fuel cutouts at almost any rpm and/or car stalling/running lean/rich

Solution: Replace low fuel pressure sensor (thurst sensor), vw part #06E906051J
    Sometimes, the high pressure fuel pump will be replaced at the same time
    AUDI A4 B7 2.0 TFSI QUATTRO
    HID'S, CUSTOM DRL'S, LED INTERIOR LIGHTING, CRUISE CONTROL, BLUETOOTH

4wd + turbo = fun!

Status
    Hi

Thanks for your help this evening! I've spent the last 6 weeks or so searching the net for ideas about this hesitation. I found this document helpful showing all the sensors and locations -

http://vw.nate-online.com/techdocs/2.0L%20FSI.pdf

This thread is very detailed too -

Problem With TFSI Power Loss

I think it could be any one of these, so will discuss with Audi -

G410 Low fuel pressure thrust sensor 06E906051K (on HPFP supply line)
    G247 High fuel pressure sensor 06H906051A (on fuel rail)
    Fuel pressure regulating valve 079130757
    G62 Engine coolant sensor 078919501B- details on common symptoms 00522 - Ross-Tech Wiki
    Fuel pressure regulating valve 079130757 - RS4 item code
    N276 Fuel pressure regulator valve (on HPFP, not removable) - my pump is 8 months old
    N30-N33 fuel injectors 06E906036A - often carboned up, S3 versions flow 13% greater 06F906036F
    ECU 8E0910115J

Alistair

5th Gear

Status
    Plug the car into VCDS and monitor the injectors.

You may also have the classic FSI carbon build up issue as just had my wifes engine rebuilt. It was semi stalling and misfiring on cyl3 and was gutless in the power dept.

After a strip down the valves were all carboned up and looked like cones before cleaning and checking, the cam chain was stretched about 15mm putting the inlet timing out and the NOX sensor on top packed up due to all this going on as it had enough.

Now all is back together and running sweet.
    Mike

4wd + turbo = fun!

Status
    It's fixed! Oh my, that was a long time happening. Over 4 weeks at Coventry Audi and they eventually fixed it (for free). The cause of the hesitation? We collectively think it was a faulty G62 engine coolant sensor and sticking thermostat causing the engine temp to fluctuate when warm (indicating 70-90deg C), the ECU then over fuelling/timing/ etc using the cold starting map when it shouldn't have been. The black exhaust pipe tails also showed up the extra carbon. No flames though!

The mpg has also now improved by about about 5-8mpg, which may back this up. It now runs sweetly, which is excellent!

Great, now I can carry on with the modifications!
    Last edited by Big Al; 23rd July 2013 at 18:16.

4wd + turbo = fun!

Status
    Well, I definitely spoke too soon! It's been a few weeks now (busy with baby son), but the car still isn't fixed since I got it back from Coventry Audi. I decided try repair it myself, instead of using Audi. So next I decided to change the MAF G70 (which was filthy from previous owner not changing air filter often enough). This made the car smoother to drive - but the hesitation still exists.

So next I plan to change the Engine Speed (rpm) Sensor G28 - also known as the Impulse Sensor or Crank Sensor and report back.

Collecting Rings

Status
    Look... if you're replacing parts at random, them please replace the low pressure fuel ('thrust') sensor mentioned above. It'll cost you £40 ish for the part and you can replace it yourself (unscrew, replace) on the top of the engine.

Why? No reason except it sorted out an idling issue on my car and someone else also highlighted it as an important (but overlooked) part above.

4wd + turbo = fun!

Status
    Some great news! I got my car back from Audi Solihull after 2 weeks. A replacement impulse sensor cured the hesitation. I think the old sensor was damaged by a previous oil leak. The plastic oil filter housing was cracked during an oil change done just before I bought the car. A few weeks later the oil had leaked everywhere and Audi Solihull redid the oil change, replacing the filter housing too. But the impulse sensor sitting below and back a bit from it had got damaged. Over a 6 month period the car visited Audi 9 times totalling over 11 weeks - but Audi had not found it - I actually asked them to replace it. Also some coolant leaks were traced to a split coolant pipe (EGR to turbo) and some O rings. So fixed and but at great cost!!

The thrust sensor was not replaced as the car idles fine. Audi also checked the fuelling by road test logging.

4wd + turbo = fun!

Status
    Damn, there appears to be a fresh oil leak from near the oil filter / cooler. So needs looking at again. I may get an ECS metal oil filter housing this time as the plastic ones crack far too easily!

4wd + turbo = fun!

Status
    At last, I've fixed my car! Yes me, not Audi. I replaced the oil cooler gasket and the oil/coolant leak is gone. Messy job though!

This thread is closed!

3rd Gear

Status
    Good job mate. Glad it's fixed