Rns-e anti glare removal

tuffy

Reaction score
Hi all. My rns-e turned up yesterday and as the seller had decribed, the screen had the inevitable marks to the anti glare making it look a little tired
So i thought id have a dig around and see what could be done .In my armoury i had.....

Meguirars plast x
Microfibre cloths
Cotton wool buds

It was easier than i thought it would be and really pleased with the results, just need to fit the screen protector now

First pic is obviously the cutting compound, second one is how the screen looked when i got it, third, half way through, forth is the finished article!

Attachments

• rnse 057.jpg
    rnse 057.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 982
  • rnse 053.jpg
    rnse 053.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,067
  • rnse 055.jpg
    rnse 055.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,204
  • rnse 056.jpg
    rnse 056.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,091
Reactions: CHEZ
Excellent job fella, really need to do mine

Hi Tuffy what the method? Im after doing mine. I thought it would have been relatively straight forward but then you stated it took 20 mins. Thanks, Andy

Hello mate. all straight forward really, cutting compound onto a microfiber cloth and worked in a circular motion, you will start to see the anti glare disappear , then polished off with another cloth, i used the cotton buds to get right into the edges of the screen.

Simple as that Andy

Hi Tuffy. Just did mine today got the Meguirars plast x from Halfords-came up really well, thanks for the tip. Cotton buds are essential as is removing the whole unit it would take too long otherwise to do in situ.

Great job,i just ordered Meguirars for my RNS e,you inspire me:icon_thumright:

Interesting that. Do you thing it remove any scratches on the plastic instrument panel? I know its very delicate and ive been real careful but even a clean microfibre cloth scratched it

Hi Tuffy. Just did mine today got the Meguirars plast x from Halfords-came up really well, thanks for the tip. Cotton buds are essential as is removing the whole unit it would take too long otherwise to do in situ.

Nice one Andy! how did you find it? did the anti glare come off without too much fuss?

Noticeable difference there. Are there any consequences of removing this anti-glare coating and would you not recommend doing it in situ?

Noticeable difference there. Are there any consequences of removing this anti-glare coating and would you not recommend doing it in situ?

May be a tad more difficult to see the screen in direct sunlight, but i think you can get anti glare screen protectors to stick on once you've polished the old one off

Looking at that I really need to have a go on the S4 screen, halfords should start doing loyalty cards the amount of times I have been there in the last week!!

Thank you for the tip @tuffy :salute:

I just have done mine:

before

after

Nice one Andy! how did you find it? did the anti glare come off without too much fuss?
going just lots HI Tuffy, it took me 25-30 mins it came off once i got the correct method, just plenty of small circular motions. its been off a week now and there has been no problem with glare from the sun as it just doesn't seem to be able to shine at that angle on to the screen. just don't be put off by the description on the Maguire bottle saying that's it not suitable for sat nav screens as it obviously is.

Last edited:
going just lots HI Tuffy, it took me 25-30 mins it came off once i got the correct method, just plenty of small circular motions. its been off a week now and there has been no problem with glare from the sun as it just doesn't seem to be able to shine at that angle on to the screen.

Nice one Andy....Glad it worked well for you .

Tuffy, have you had any of the irritating marks back yet? Or has it lasted well?

Tuffy, have you had any of the irritating marks back yet? Or has it lasted well?

I haven't fitted it yet Sammi. But I think I may put a screen protector on it when I do.

Will be interested to know how you get on as the marks on mine drive me crazy!

I had the same problem with scratches on my screen coating so used some white vinegar and a microfibre cloth, only took a few minutes and the whole screen is now beautifully clear and very readable, I've turned the brightness up a little to compensate for the anti glare loss but it's 10x better now than before.

Cheers