Goodbye symphony 2 hello RNS-E

tuffy

Reaction score
Hi all
i've just won on ebay (much to the wifes disgust) a RNS-E unit, nav disc and antenna, so the symphony 2 unit will be coming out
What are these unit worth in the used market???

can someone confirm that i may need to buy a additional wiring harnes as mine are the older conecting blocks on the back of the head unit??

Also once fitted is it a matter of taking the car to my local dealers to have it coded in correctly??

Thanks

Nice! I've umm'd and arr'd so many times about an rnse. I finally decided to just buy some new wheels instead. :D

I can't answer your question though, sorry! But bet you can't wait to get it in. The symphony 2 isn't as dated as the 1, but the rnse will still freshen up the cabin a lot. Good luck with it all.

Nice! I've umm'd and arr'd so many times about an rnse. I finally decided to just buy some new wheels instead. :D

I can't answer your question though, sorry! But bet you can't wait to get it in. The symphony 2 isn't as dated as the 1, but the rnse will still freshen up the cabin a lot. Good luck with it all.

Thanks mate. I couldn't bear to look at that slot for the tape any longer!!! IMO dates the interior.

Thanks mate. I couldn't bear to look at that slot for the tape any longer!!! IMO dates the interior.

I know, people laugh when they see mine. But then I explain it's an 11yr old car and they soon understand and seem amazed at how good the rest looks and feels.

Thanks. I have the keys. And the seller is sending the
FM antenna adapter.
Think I just need the ISO to quad lock loom. Does it make any difference that I have Bose and phone prep?

RNS-E is something I just cant convince myself about. I like the idea of 'speccing up' and sticking to OEM whilst doing so.

But then I ask myself if its really worth the £400-£500 they seem to go for in terms of what it actually does.

That said - if you've got it at £255 and there's no issues with it, that makes it a no brainer!

Because I was bidding too. But, working nights and forgot to bid more before work. No worries mate. Got the same trouble persuading the wife lol. Enjoy and I hope its 100% for you the bloke seemed ok

Think I just need the ISO to quad lock loom. Does it make any difference that I have Bose and phone prep?
Yes, you need to make sure you buy an adapter that has the wiring for both Bose and phone - not all of them do.

Yes, you need to make sure you buy an adapter that has the wiring for both Bose and phone - not all of them do.

Would someone in the know be kind enough to post a link for the correct wiring loom id need please? bearing in mind the Bose a phone prep. plus mfsw

Also what will Audi charge to code it in ? And roughly what should i sell the the symphony 2 for??

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: gsm909
Good luck with the install. Upgraded mine recently and was so glad to see the back of that tape slot too.

Because I was bidding too. But, working nights and forgot to bid more before work. No worries mate. Got the same trouble persuading the wife lol. Enjoy and I hope its 100% for you the bloke seemed ok
We can share it mate! Fingers crossed its 100% straight, was a bit worried when no one else was bidding, oh well, too late now!!:yes:

Last edited:
Would someone in the know be kind enough to post a link for the correct wiring loom id need please? bearing in mind the Bose a phone prep. plus mfsw

Also what will Audi charge to code it in ? And roughly what should i sell the the symphony 2 for??

Thanks in advance.

Anyone???? Please!!!

Is there anyone you're way with vagcom? Few beer tokens usually sorts it :). I'd imagine dealers charge a fair bit.

That I don't know as yet buddy. Still not 100% sur which cable to order !!

Reactions: rjm180
You should be fine for the phone but if you have BOSE then you'll need to repin a single wire.

That loom in #10 is fine but you'll need to move a wire from B5 to B7 (use wiring diagram on the RNS-E and old stereo to guide you).

You'll be best off inspecting the old stereo, seeing where the BOSE pin is and follow it into the plug&play loom and see which pin it enters in the RNS-E.

Being a plug&play loom it may already be tailored for an RNS-E which means the bose pin has already been moved from 5 to 7.

You should be fine for the phone but if you have BOSE then you'll need to repin a single wire.

That loom in #10 is fine but you'll need to move a wire from B5 to B7 (use wiring diagram on the RNS-E and old stereo to guide you).

You'll be best off inspecting the old stereo, seeing where the BOSE pin is and follow it into the plug&play loom and see which pin it enters in the RNS-E.

Being a plug&play loom it may already be tailored for an RNS-E which means the bose pin has already been moved from 5 to 7.

Thanks for that.... Probably isnt but that sounds a little difficult to me, is it just a case of pulling one pin out and pushing it somewhere else?? sorry if that sounds a little thick!

Not thick at all mate.

Yeah it is, you'll be able to do it with a little flat head screwdriver.

You'll be able to see the pin-outs on the back of each stereo... simply look for the BOSE pin on your old stereo, compare it to the RNS-E and make the change.

The plugs are numbered so you'll know where to stick the pin.

Not thick at all mate.

Yeah it is, you'll be able to do it with a little flat head screwdriver.

You'll be able to see the pin-outs on the back of each stereo... simply look for the BOSE pin on your old stereo, compare it to the RNS-E and make the change.

The plugs are numbered so you'll know where to stick the pin.

Thanks again mate, Hope you're on 24hr call! lol

Tuffy I didn't do mine myself I had it installed, I couldn't tell you how to code it or what harness or adapter you need mate. Mine was installed by Nigel, username NHN on ASN.

I've also read that the glove box needs to be removed to position the gps antenna.......Is this correct?

I've also read that the glove box needs to be removed to position the gps antenna.......Is this correct?

if it does that's an easy job, 5 8mm bolts, 3 top 2 bottom, hope you get it sorted ok, we thought about RNSE but in the end installed an alpine with full iPhone support and then retro fitted an alpine multi changer in the glovebox where the original audi one went.

To install it properly , yeah.

I've know people to just attach it behind the stereo and it work fine, though its up to you. I always position on the top of the glovebox and always gets maximum satellites.