b7 camber adustment

Joe Clooney

Reaction score
well guys, just looking for a little advice here.
my mate was selling his rial daytonas, and i couldnt pass up the oppotunity to get them. only problem, they were on his mk4 golf and are 5x100 et30!! but, not letting that deter me, i bought a set of fk15mm hub adaptors and put them on the car the other night to see how they looked. i knew it was gonna be wide, but not his wide!! the rears i think i will get away with, goona change from 255/35 tyres to 235/40 and adjust the camber slightly. the front is where my problem kinda lies. its a little hard to tell how its gonna look, as he has 235/40 toyo 888's on it, and they have a very square sidewall so i think they look worse than they might be when i fit 215/45. is there anyway of adjusting the camber at all without having to go for the rather expensive US adjustable arms?

have a look at the pics and see what ye think, any advice or comments are welcome. might not look so bad when new tyres are on and coilovers fitted.

first up a few pics of the rears, with my 2 mates sat in the boot!!

201304192244171.jpg

201304192244231.jpg

201304192256431.jpg

201304192313021.jpg

201304192312471.jpg

201304192312411.jpg

now the fronts
201304192257031.jpg

201304192257211.jpg

201304192257251.jpg

201304192258561.jpg

nope you need the arms
and even with them your not gona get away with it
MOT time and if a copper sees them

Not too worried about mot, the wheels will probably be only on it for going to shows etc, will be on rs6 wheels rest of time.
I'm in Ireland so not sure if same rules apply for mot here as in the UK with camber etc?? I thought I seen on here somewhere that once the tire thread is not out past the arches its okay?

If you really like the wheel and there's plenty meat around the hub how about machining the inner face of the wheel. Seen it done quite a few times, a good machine shop will advise if there's enough material to be able to knock 10mm or so off, fairly cheap option too just make sure you have plenty clearance for brakes etc before committing!!

Yeah I have thought about that option, but I don't think there is enough, the studs are fairly well recessed down into the stud holes so I don't think I would have anymore than 3 mm before I start to weaken the hub, it's still an option though and I could probably take another 2mm off the adaptors and maybe 2mm off the face of the brake disc,

Yeah I have thought about that option, but I don't think there is enough, the studs are fairly well recessed down into the stud holes so I don't think I would have anymore than 3 mm before I start to weaken the hub, it's still an option though and I could probably take another 2mm off the adaptors and maybe 2mm off the face of the brake disc,

You'd be foolish and risking your life shaving the mounting hub of the disc. If they don't/won't fit, then sell them on.

Ya I know Steve, it's not the way I really want to go. The wheels/euro wide look may not be to everyone's taste, but personally I love it, and I also love a challenge. I could just go and buy a set of replica wheels and look like every other avant on the road, but that's not what I am after, and where is the thought or challenge in that?

sorry dude but that looks pants!
the rims themselves are ok, but even with slimmer tyres on, they are still going to protrude from the arch!
rather than try and skim them i would just change them for something with the correct offset!
save yourself a headache!

they dont work on the B7
i had to send them back
once fitted you cant get at them to adjust

Reactions: Joe Clooney
Hubs and discs redrilled to 5x100? Loosing the FK adaptors wouldn't be a bad thing!!

I had thought about that ajax, but would it out weaken the hubs with ten holes drilled in them? Would we want to get the old ones welded up?

I wouldn't have thought so, I'd much rather have them than aluminium adaptors. A redrilled hub will still be massively stronger than your FKs. The 30 degrees of separation between the holes will still be plenty of material and as long as you make a proper job of threading I don't see an issue. Once bolted up the weight is shared between the hub/bore and the bolts. Redrilling hubs is very common in the modding world, adaptors are just a more affordable and easier way, all be it to me a much inferior way.

Change the wheels mate
For me that's not an option, as I said already, these are the wheels i want on the car, so changing them isn't an option to me, I will make these fit, I am in no panic to get them on the car, don't care if it takes me 6 months to get them right, they will go on it. Thanks ajax for your advice, I will look into this and see if it's worth redrilling them.

wheels are spot on man!
love the if it dont fit make it attitude!

sure rs4 arches would tuck them wheels in nicely if you get what im sayin :D

Thanks for that!!!!It will be the death of me if I don't get these on it ha ha!!!!Don't think a set of rs4 arches are in the budget, I would need a bumper to match them wouldn't i?

true whole kit would be required to pull it off

yano what, might sound crazy but..... the audi a4 allroad arches painted and stuck on would look trick as owt mate, would sort the clearance issue a treat

not seen anything like that before done you could be the first :)

It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind what you're going to do, and the only suggestions that interest you are those that endorse what you want.

I would suggest a 215 tyre, stretched, that is what i had to do and mine are an et25 so stuck out even further than yours lol

It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind what you're going to do, and the only suggestions that interest you are those that endorse what you want.

I would say that was pretty obvious, the OP wants to put that specific set of wheels on his car. He's obviously going to be interested in constructive solutions and not "Buy other wheels" comments, No?

I've not been on this forum long but it is the one thing I've noticed, there's a lack of engineering minds on it. People just don't seem to think out of the box or use basic engineering principles as much as other forums I've been on. I can totally understand why the OP wants to do it, there's much more pleasure in over coming issues and solving a problem as there is in just bolting a new set of wheels on.
As it is if you can whip the hubs off, get them drilled and bolt on new wheels, you're looking at a relatively easy and cheap fix which will be much safer than using adaptors and probably spacers plus you'll have the option of using 5x100 or 5x122 wheels in the future. On the whole anything on here that doesn't involve buying and then bolting on scares the crap out of the majority of posters.

Thank you
You have hit the nail on the head with your post above. Personally, I don't get any pleasure or satisfaction out of buying a set of oem wheels and putting them on my car, and looking like every other grey avant on the road. I just want to do something different and kinda stand out a bit from the crowd, hopefully!!
I guess I am kinda the black sheep here among a family of white ones!!

Reactions: audi-a6
I've not been on this forum long but it is the one thing I've noticed, there's a lack of engineering minds on it.

You have me there, Ajax. I have the most unmechanical mind you can imagine. It would never have occurred to me to think of the things you have suggested, and even now that I know of them, I wouldn't in my wildest dreams attempt them. But Joe, if you are made that way, and you have the confidence and know-now, then more power to your torque wrench!
:beerchug:

Last edited:
Silly question, but have you thought about flaring your arches? or like we both said, cheapest way is probs narrow tyres and maybe just roll the arches.....

I have to say though, smaller tyres look awesome, but effect drivability, for example, you have to be more careful of pot holes, kirbs, well any thing that is above the ground to be honest, as your rim will be exposed. On the plus side, they save you fuel! they make you drive slower lol.... normal carriage ways ect are fine, you dont notice at all.

I think personally you have a lot of options, just depends on how much you are willing to spend, as if you did go down the camber route, that aint cheap alone, never mind the fact that you will eat tyres, im only saying this as iv experienced all of what iv said! never the less i would not change my wheels for the world, I too like to be different...... mine do need a re-furb though lol

another thing, I love those wheels!!! Tyres do look to big for them though :)

You have me there, Ajax. I have the most unmechanical mind you can imagine. It would never have occurred to me to think of the things you have suggested, and even now that I know of them, I wouldn't in my wildest dreams attempt them. But Joe, if you are made that way, and you have the confidence and know-now, then more power to your torque wrench!
:beerchug:

Actually just read back what I wrote, I didn't mean to single you or anyone else out so hope you didn't take offence. It was really more of an observation than a criticism.

In fairness though Jeff, I like your honesty and openness. Its more people that pretend that to be something they are not that wind me up. My neighbour is an "engineer" yet I wouldn't trust him to wire a plug, he talks a good job though:)

Anyway hope you get wheels on Joe, keep us updated with what route you go. Poke on wheels isn't my thing but hope you get them sitting right for you.

Alan

Yeah the tyres are too big on the front, they were on my mates golf mk4 tdi which is pushing out over 300 bhp and he had the 888's fitted for a track day and didn't take them off after it.
After a lot of thought over the last few days and taking everyone's opinion and suggestions into consideration I think my best step forward is to fit the 215 &235 tyres and the coilovers and then see how it is lookin then. At least I will know for definite when I am at the correct ride height how much I need to adjust to get it looking right.

Audi a6, have you a link there for pics of your car with the 215 on the front? Are they 8.5 wide?

All road arches! U know it makes sense man :D

yeah they are 8.5's all round, this is the only pic i have, i can take one for you tomorow though, is it the arch clearence you want to see, rim edge or both?

Attachments

• IMG_2840.jpg
    IMG_2840.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 163
after looking at your pics some more, i think your front ones come out further than mine, but then, you got hub adapters, iv only got spacers on the back of mine as originally the front stuck out further than the back for some reason. with the stretched tyres i think you will be fine on the back, don't know about the front though....... food for thought, couldn't you put passat front hubs on? that way you wouldnt need the adaptors and then you would have a perfect fit? leave the back, as that would give you the wider look on the rear

here you go buddy

Attachments

• IMG_2958.jpg
    IMG_2958.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2959.jpg
    IMG_2959.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2960.jpg
    IMG_2960.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 108
That looks pretty sweet there man, nice bit of stretch on the tyres, I was expecting more stretch but I think that's probably the same amount I am after.
Thanks for going to the trouble of taking the pictures.

no worries, i have to admit, i was worried that it was going to be more stretch. Remember though, that the type of tyre will have effect, as some tires have different walls, i went for budget, as my rear eat tires due to the camber, also i have lost 2 tyres in 1 month due to sealing issues and coz they were stretched the car ran on the walls and you cant notice they are flat, until the wall heats up, collapses and then you end up on the rim.... just thought id make you aware, i have now just ordered "tpms" system (tyre pressure monitoring system) cost £150 but will save me tires and rims in the long run as if they are/do go flat i can see right away.

This one is without display as i can plug into my alpine dvd system, but you can get with display as well

Attachments

• $(KGrHqNHJCUFCmTk5n47BQuNQZB7-w~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqNHJCUFCmTk5n47BQuNQZB7-w~~60_12.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 161
Well guys, just a quick update on progress.
I have decided to ditch the hub adaptors and get a machine shop to drill and tap the hubs. Makes more sense as said above, and makes its easier for me to put the daily wheels back on, and it will look at lot better too I think..
So if anyone is interested in a set of brand new 15 mm 5x112 to 5x100 adaptors drop me a pm. Will post to UK at cost.