3.0 TDI Strange noise

Mr-C

Reaction score
2007 3.0 TDI done 113k. with an intermittent start up rattle/clatter. Its a 2 parter, about a second after it fires up I get this noise which lasts for less than a second noise falls off but just before its completely gone then comes back again for less than a second. Obviously this all happens quickly. I have had it at my local indy's and sods law it didn't do it, It does it warm or cold. I have read about the tensioners on the earlier models but its no so much of an issue on the later ones. Its also really hard to pin point exactly where this noise is coming from. Idea's on a Postcard

Mine does the same but only when it's cold/been stood a while.
I was dreading it being the tensioners but with it only occurring when it does, I've come to the conclusion that it's the top end having no oil for the first second or so, till it's flowing round/pumped.
I don't let it concern me really.

Managed to pin point it a little. Its defo coming from the front rather than the rear. Still flummoxed though, I guess when it breaks we will know then, but at least its not chain tensioners

My petrol does the same. Have changed both top tensioners and its still there. Oil pump is next on the list to see if the pickup is blocked as it was previously on long service.

I was dreading it being the tensioners but with it only occurring when it does, I've come to the conclusion that it's the top end having no oil for the first second or so, till it's flowing round/pumped.

x2

X3

Just picked up on this thread. Mine has always done this since owning the car. I read somwhere it wasn't a grave concern and it was common. Should I be concerned after owning the car for over two years and its now covered 128 thousand?