Rear ambient lighting DIY mod.

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Well bu**er me, but it only blimmin' works, doesn't it?!

I can't believe I actually did it right. In fairness, Quattrojames' DIY guide was a huge help.

However, now that I've tried it, I'm not sure I want it in there. Firstly, the light fitting (bought second hand on Ebay) is the wrong colour for the roof trim. Secondly, the holes I drilled are rather untidy. Thirdly, the beautiful ice white LEDs I put in the existing light fitting only last month don't fit the replacement.

Here's a pic of my rather unlovely handiwork

P1000386_zpsce0ece3f.jpg

I'll take another look at it when it's dark, and then make up my mind. If I decide it's a keeper, I'll try to tidy up the holes. and then get onto Trups for some new white LEDs.

Last edited:
Interested to see what you think about it when its dark, personally think it was bit of waste of time and was quite disappointed with it.

oooohhhh.....interested with the night virdict too before i do mine.....

oooohhhh.....interested with the night virdict too before i do mine.....

Don't rush to order the parts just yet. There may be a completed unit going spare. I didn't get round to installing it tonight, but will tomorrow, then decide.

Is it hard to line up? I ordered the parts for mine today :) (front and rear)

Not too bad (although I still managed to get it slightly askew!). The gap between the two switches on the light fitting is 70mm. The gap between the LEDs is 20mm. So each hole needs to be 25mm in from the switch.

Yeah this looks like a barrel of laughs think im going to give it a whirl, push boat out and do both front and rears.

Reactions: AlexA4Avant
I also used 6.5mm as I don't have a 7mm at home. Could of got one from work but I was quite happy with the diameter and think 7mm would have been slightly too much.

I used 6.5 when I did my front one - how are folk drilling? from the "inside" thro to the outside perhaps? I'm just wondering if that's why the hole looked a little ragged?

I went thro with a 3 mm bit having first centre-punched the recess on the inside - then used the 6.5 from outside to inside - the result was very clean. Don't know if this is of any help, but sharing anyway. Mike.

Yeah thats a great help mike ill remember that when i do mine. Has everyone LED the interior lights to white as well? do the bulbs need to be canbus?

I used 6.5 when I did my front one - how are folk drilling? from the "inside" thro to the outside perhaps? I'm just wondering if that's why the hole looked a little ragged?

I went thro with a 3 mm bit having first centre-punched the recess on the inside - then used the 6.5 from outside to inside - the result was very clean. Don't know if this is of any help, but sharing anyway. Mike.

When I did the fronts, I drilled from the inside out, because the guides are there to show where the holes should be. When I did the rears, I drilled from the outside in, because I had to work out the locations myself, andf this was easier to do on the outside.

In both cases, I drilled a guide hole with a 2.5mm bit, then gradually opened it out.

I don't have a counter-sinking bit, so my efforts to tidy up the holes are somewhat lumpen and oafish.

Last edited:
Yeah thats a great help mike ill remember that when i do mine. Has everyone LED the interior lights to white as well? do the bulbs need to be canbus?

My interior lights are all LEDs. No warning errors, so I'm assuming the interior lights aren't covered by the bulb monitoring system. If in doubt, send a private message to forum member T8ups. He supplies the bulbs, and is a great source of all the technical knowledge you will ever need on LED lighting.

UPDATE: Have been outside in the dark to study the effect of the rear ambient lighting, and it's a bit of a non-event really, and certainly not really worth paying out more to get a set of white LEDs for the reading lights. I've put the original, which is already converted to white LED, back in, so if anyone is still interested in doing this mod, but hasn't yet acquired the parts, send me a PM. I have a working unit surplus to requirements, just needs a little cosmetic enhancement from someone with a little bit of skill, dexterity and patience.

Unless you want someone sitting in the middle of the rear seat to have a nice red glow to their head and face this really is a pointless mod.

Mine is coming out and going to fit into the underside of the centre armrest to light the rear cubby and handbrake in the centre console.

So what is the point of it? It doesn't even light the seat in mine. Only effect is two red dots when you look at the rear light:)

If you've got the bits you might as well try it, maybe its just mine that's crap.

Best analogy I can think of, its like driving with full beams on in day light. Look at the headlight and you'll see they're on but look around you, they make no difference.

Well after messing the holes up on both lights I'm not gonna do the rear. The front holes aren't to bad so gonna watch out for cheap replacement unit and do them again. So now have a spare ambient module Bnib if anyone else wants to have a go.

I think I'm gonna do what ajax suggested, and use mine to light under/in/around my armrest. I did consider the back, but I think his analogy is spot on. I think it would just annoy the kids more than anything.

how do these look at night?

might be interested as i love the front ones

Well after messing the holes up on both lights I'm not gonna do the rear. The front holes aren't to bad so gonna watch out for cheap replacement unit and do them again. So now have a spare ambient module Bnib if anyone else wants to have a go.

How did you manage to mess the holes up?? Im thinking about doing the mod so id like to know what not to do lol.