gear stick movement

jazzza

Reaction score
hi wonder if anyone can help me ,a have a a4 1.8t on a 56 plate,when my hand is on the gear stick i can feel movement in the stick when i accelerate mostly in lower gear ,is this normal ?

I'm not a mechanic, but when I was taking driving lessons some years back, my instructor told me not to rest my hand on the gear stick. Obvious one is that you don't have two hands on the wheel, but the second was that the movement you notice is normal due to the torque from the engine. Someone else will no doubt give you a proper explanation.

The engine will move on its mounts under acceleration, it's attached to the gearbox and in turn the lever. Perfectly normal.

Same here. When I get my clutch done going to ask the mechanic to change the gearbox mount bush.

Until the movement gets excessive there is no reason to change the mount, they are rubber so you will always get some movement.

I'm at 107k miles though so thought no harm getting it done when the clutch gets done.

I suppose if the box is off its mount anyway then get it done, but don't expect 0 movement once it's done. There will always be some unless you go for poly mounts and I wouldn't on a road car.

134k and there is probably about 1mm of travel under acceleration. Resting your hand on the gear lever for long periods during this short acceleration phase would eventually cause the gearbox mount to wear because you're preventing it from moving properly. Unless it's only going to cost a pound or two to change it, I wouldn't bother.