EM TuningChris Nott
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rowdyboy

Thread: longer time for engine to turnover / battery query

5th Gear

Status

longer time for engine to turnover / battery query

Hej

Can anyone throw some light on this query. Been noticing the car taking slightly longer to turn over first thing in the morning these days. Once warmed and been driving for a bit it starts as normal. Normally, it's turn of the key and action...all through the winter no issues and now it's Spring and things are bit warmer too...which has got me curious. I checked the battery with a voltmeter and it's reading 12.5v after a charge and 13.5v -13.6v on charge with headlights & radio on.
    Can anyone help me out here....is my battery on the way out or something more serious. Not sure how old the battery is.....am guessing a couple of years by the looks of it. I have had the car since May of last year and we have had the usual, long winter but nothing extreme....and I have a DEFA engine heater fitted too. My money is on the battery but I bow to your superior knowledge and expertise!

Any advice greatly received.

Cheers
    A

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Yes, mine was exactly the same, just before it gave up the ghost. Best to replace it now, before the car is just dead and stranded.
    I think you saw my thread from a week ago and commented.
    3.0 Tdi Q A4 Avant S-Line Dolphin Grey
    RNS-E retrofitted

5th Gear

Status
    Cheers rowdyboy....that's what am thinking myself....funny, when you had your issues, mine was perfect....it's sod's law that now the weather has got better my battery decides chuck it! ....Jaysus, they cost a friggin bomb up here too!....

Cheers
    Allan
    Last edited by Molnboman; 9th April 2013 at 18:26.

4wd + turbo = fun!

Status
    Hi Allan, yes I saw the same issues with mine before it failed recently. Often a big temperature change does affect car batteries. Best to get it changed now than break down!
    Audi A4 B7 2004 red 2.0 TFSI Quattro Sport saloon, Servotronic steering, MFSW, CDIS, DRL with Coming Home, auto dual xenon lights/wipers/mirrors, split folding rear seats, 3rd headrest, centre armrest, Isofix mounts, RS4 rear ARB, pedals & carbon dash trims; Audi TTS 9Jx18alloys (2 sets), Yokohama AD08 summer, Conti TS830P winter 245/40/18 tyres, TPI 15/20 spacers/lockers, Pipercross filter, GFB DV+ turbo valve, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Osram Silverstar Xenarc D1S bulbs. Build thread

5th Gear

Status
    Cheers Big Al, yes my mind is made up....hoping to get a deal on an OEM one....if not, it will by a cheapo......btw a cheapo is 100 quid up here.....there goes my beer tokens!

5th Gear

Status
    Find someone with TPS access or a Halfords trade card. A £100 battery comes down to about £60 on average.
    Mike

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmallia View Post
    Find someone with TPS access or a Halfords trade card. A £100 battery comes down to about £60 on average.
    I think the shipping costs Sweden may just wipe out any savings!!!!
    Mike.M and Molnboman like this.
    3.0 Tdi Q A4 Avant S-Line Dolphin Grey
    RNS-E retrofitted

5th Gear

Status
    Yep, battery f@cked confirmed....while I was having my summer tyres changes the battery died.....f$ck and I had arranged to get a deal on a VAG battery for 80 quid too but had to wait 2 weeks for it. Now it's gonna cost me 150 quid! Don't you just hate it when that happens?! Well, looking on the bright side, the car was faultless through the Winter and started first time every time during the cold dark spell.....so can't complain really.

Cheers
    A
    Last edited by Molnboman; 10th April 2013 at 12:04.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    What battery you going for, OEM or Bosch? (They may even be the same with different labels lol).

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4_MaJiK View Post
    What battery you going for, OEM or Bosch? (They may even be the same with different labels lol).
    Not sure I let my mechanic choose....always an expensive decision.....They are all Varta from these Dudes.....am so pissed that I couldn't have waited two weeks for the OEM VAG job. Cest la vie!
    decision.....Batterier - Personbil

4th Gear

Status
    Down here we have scrappers who sell batteries cheap so I always like to keep one spare.Easier to use if you need to jump start another as we did this week when my sons S3 died on him in the garage

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Down here we have scrappers who sell batteries cheap so I always like to keep one spare.Easier to use if you need to jump start another as we did this week when my sons S3 died on him in the garage
    That's a great idea. unfortunately I don't have a garage, otherwise I would do that trick too!
    Cheers
    A

1st Gear

Status
    Euro car parts have 20% off at the moment, use code SPRING20

Euro Car Parts | The UK's Number 1 Provider of Car Parts Online and In Store

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mm707 View Post
    Euro car parts have 20% off at the moment, use code SPRING20

Euro Car Parts | The UK's Number 1 Provider of Car Parts Online and In Store
    Looks great if you are in the UK. Posting a battery in Swedenshire falls into the dangerous goods act apparently and it would have to be delivered on it's own pallet! Feck that! hahaha
    Last edited by Molnboman; 10th April 2013 at 20:18.

5th Gear

Status
    Sorted....the garage got me a cracking deal on some super duper Varta special job for cars with lots of electric bits apparently...must mean vibros! hahaha and only 85 Swedish quid....which believe it or not is a feckin bargain!

Yours electrically
    MM
    Last edited by Molnboman; 11th April 2013 at 21:27.

1st Gear

Status
    Is it starting better now ?

Mine takes a good few turns to start 1st time when it's cold but the engine seems to be turning over pretty normal speed.

Battery has been on it from new though so that's almost 6 years

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mm707 View Post
    Is it starting better now ?

Mine takes a good few turns to start 1st time when it's cold but the engine seems to be turning over pretty normal speed.

Battery has been on it from new though so that's almost 6 years
    Yes Mate, 100% back to normal. May I suggest you save up some beer tokens to buy a replacement battery....you are very lucky to get 6 years out of a battery. I was surprised how quickly mine died...really fast, less than 24hours actually, so don't be like me and get caught out...Actually, never known a car to chuck a battery so quick. Normally, you get some tell tale signs but on the A4 they just seem to die without warning!

Cheers
    A
    Last edited by Molnboman; 12th April 2013 at 21:19.