Headlight Upgrade

Steve77

Reaction score
Hey guys, thought I'd post up some work I'm doing to my B7 Cab.
The final plan is to replace headlights with DRL's, but for now I've upgraded the standard halgoen bulbs to crisp white versions supplied by the one and only t8ups.

For a great price I got replacement bulbs for main lights, high beam & fogs. I havn't done the fog lights yet though but will post pics once I have. These pics aren't great as it was with my phone during the day, but you get the idea!
First pic is the main beam swapped out on the left (as you look at it) with the standard bulb on the right.

Photo 2013 04 08 093015
This is the passenger side with standard bulbs for main & high beam.
Photo 2013 04 08 093152
And now drivers side with main & high beams swapped out with new bulbs.
Photo 2013 04 08 093216

Now all bulbs are swapped out. (This is with high beams on).
Photo 2013 04 08 093331

And one at night.
Photo 2013 04 08 093415

They make a great difference and are a cheap way of getting rid of the dodgy yellow halogens. Only slightly ruined at the moment by my crappy side lights.

I'll post more pics once I change the fogs and install the DRL's.

Big thanks to t8ups for the bulbs.

Steve

Last edited:
Very nice mate, I'd recommend the Cree led's from T8ups, got them in mine and they are super bright.

They look great. I recently went with some Osram Nightbreakers for my mains but now have the same sidelight issue you have with them being yellow. I'd change them too but keep seeing things about people getting errors when they change the sidelight bulbs.

t8ups does side lights with built in holsters for the original bulb and they are excellent with no errors

So what happens to the spare halogen that's hanging off that loom then? Sorry, i'm terrible at electrical stuff.

Nothing mate it just sits in the housing with the rest of the cables. Fools the bulb check, so won't recognise the LED.

Wouldn't that melt the insulation on the other wires within the housing?

I just use these MTEC sidelights instead as any other LED unit would just fall apart due to the heat from the 21W DRL bulb in the same housing. There not very bright however but this didn't really bother me as they are only sidelights.

Last edited:
Had my leds and loom in for about 3 months and they haven't melted my wiring or housing yet :icon_thumright:

I just use these MTEC sidelights instead as any other LED unit would just fall apart due to the heat from the 21W DRL bulb in the same housing. There not very bright however but this didn't really bother me as they are only sidelights.

Have you got a pic that I could see of those side light bulbs you mentioned?

I do alot testing on my own cars With new products and also ideas, the looms i made up myself with parts from other bits of stock and tested them in my Polo, its not canbus but i did it to see. The headlights are made to withstand the heat from halogens so no problems, for me to get these looms produced in like this i had to send an order of 2000 looms which costs me a lot as well as paying for a new mould design for the factory, if i thought it would cause any damage to a customers car i would not of had them made up.

hope that helps.

Trups

Reactions: ESD1711 and A4_MaJiK