EM TuningSky Insurance

Thread: Poor brakes.

2nd Gear

Status

Poor brakes.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the standard brakes on our A4 are pretty poor?? First car i've had in a good number of years where i've thought......i may need to something about these!

When i swaped the scirocco for the Avant i couldnt believe how different the breaking performance was
    I understand that the Avant is heavier than the Roc but even so, i still think the Avant brakes are not the best.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I never really rated the brakes on my 3.0TDi. For such a powerful and heavy car, they didn't seem up to the job.

Last November, I swapped them for MTEC drilled and grooved discs with Mintex pads. Big improvement.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffy View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else think that the standard brakes on our A4 are pretty poor?? First car i've had in a good number of years where i've thought......i may need to something about these!
    Do you know what discs & pads are on at the moment? I found that the genuine discs are pads were fine on the B7's I've had, but a little bit on the expensive side. Most likely someone has done the brakes on the cheap.

1st Gear

Status
    This is something i've complained about with these cars, frankly for a Awd car, the brakes aren't sized appropriately. I looked at S4 upgrade, but its just too much money for the improvement.

My brakes are on OE discs and pads and they're ****e. I've put so much force through them, they've now gone blue!
    Audi A4 (B7) 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro - Steve Edition in Lava Grey
    BBS Wheels|arm rest|ambipur|345mm S4 brakes|PiperX panel filter|cupra R splitter|Greenstuff Pads|Retrofit Cruise control/DIS|Retrofit Audi Phone|Dension iPod|

Full VCDS equipped for the Moray area

Neutral

Status
    Couldn't agree more, they are pants! But then I did move from a fully loaded LCR, with 4 pot Brembos, to my B7 TDI Avant so I guess it was always going to seem poorer!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie'76 View Post
    Couldn't agree more, they are pants! But then I did move from a fully loaded LCR, with 4 pot Brembos, to my B7 TDI Avant so I guess it was always going to seem poorer!
    You want proper brakes :D

But the audi is just my battle bus too and from work.
    Audi A4 (B7) 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro - Steve Edition in Lava Grey
    BBS Wheels|arm rest|ambipur|345mm S4 brakes|PiperX panel filter|cupra R splitter|Greenstuff Pads|Retrofit Cruise control/DIS|Retrofit Audi Phone|Dension iPod|

Full VCDS equipped for the Moray area

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve220 View Post
    You want proper brakes :D

But the audi is just my battle bus too and from work.
    Nice kit, but they'd be wasted on my Avant! I save that sort of kit for my weekend toys...

2nd Gear

Status
    Agree, mine had 288mm brakes on the front and although I only have 115hp they were poor. With a remap on the cards shortly I looked at upgrades, Decided on the Porsche Cayenne upgrade. I didn't want to spend shed loads and didn't want to use a caliper that would need conversion brackets etc, the cayennes ticked all the boxes. All in with 2nd hand calipers, new braided lines, new pads/fittings and new 345mm discs I was a shade over £500. Just fitted last weekend but so far I'm delighted with them, very nice progressive feel, very similar feel around town but awesome power when stamped on.

4th Gear

Status
    Thanks you anserwed my question - I have bought some too,

wanted to know how the braking is improved with the upgrade??

Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    I never really rated the brakes on my 3.0TDi. For such a powerful and heavy car, they didn't seem up to the job.

Last November, I swapped them for MTEC drilled and grooved discs with Mintex pads. Big improvement.
    Torque the Torque

4th Gear

Status
    True, I have had many quattro's and the brakes just seem to fade and over heat when under constant hard braking to the point where they are dangerous and increase stopping distance

Quote Originally Posted by Steve220 View Post
    This is something i've complained about with these cars, frankly for a Awd car, the brakes aren't sized appropriately. I looked at S4 upgrade, but its just too much money for the improvement.

My brakes are on OE discs and pads and they're ****e. I've put so much force through them, they've now gone blue!
    Torque the Torque

2nd Gear

Status
    Least im not alone here......Had to pull up hard beind a parked car this morning and wondered if i was going to actually stop!!
    Think i may try a set of groved discs a mintex pads, cant be any worse!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ajax1976 View Post
    Agree, mine had 288mm brakes on the front and although I only have 115hp they were poor. With a remap on the cards shortly I looked at upgrades, Decided on the Porsche Cayenne upgrade. I didn't want to spend shed loads and didn't want to use a caliper that would need conversion brackets etc, the cayennes ticked all the boxes. All in with 2nd hand calipers, new braided lines, new pads/fittings and new 345mm discs I was a shade over £500. Just fitted last weekend but so far I'm delighted with them, very nice progressive feel, very similar feel around town but awesome power when stamped on.
    Where did you get these from? is there any kits ready for purchase? ive got the 115hp but remapped to 167 atm and ive not really done spirited driving to feel any loss of brake power on my car although there not that good even in normal driving there very laxy dazy 99% of the time.

2nd Gear

Status
    There are kits available for around £750+ but I sourced all the bits for myself. If you dig around you can save loads, the special stepped bolts for example go for £66 on Ebay but I payed 20Euros for mine.

Calipers were from a guy in bulgaria contacted through Audisrs.com forum, £340 delivered.

Stepped bolts from Poland, again through Audisrs.com, 20 Euros delivered

345mm Mercedes Pagid discs, Eurocarparts on Ebay for £38 Each, only mod to the discs is to open up the centre bore by 1mm

You'll need B7 RS4 braided brake lines usually around £70 but you could get them cheaper if you get them made up for you at a custom place.

Pads can be picked up fairly cheaply too from usual places.

I got a lot of info from Andys thread here

Porsche Cayenne Six Pots

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ajax1976 View Post
    There are kits available for around £750+ but I sourced all the bits for myself. If you dig around you can save loads, the special stepped bolts for example go for £66 on Ebay but I payed 20Euros for mine.

Calipers were from a guy in bulgaria contacted through Audisrs.com forum, £340 delivered.

Stepped bolts from Poland, again through Audisrs.com, 20 Euros delivered

345mm Mercedes Pagid discs, Eurocarparts on Ebay for £38 Each, only mod to the discs is to open up the centre bore by 1mm

You'll need B7 RS4 braided brake lines usually around £70 but you could get them cheaper if you get them made up for you at a custom place.

Pads can be picked up fairly cheaply too from usual places.

I got a lot of info from Andys thread here

Porsche Cayenne Six Pots
    Thanks for this info :D im starting to track day my car once ive fitted tri core intercooling and decat back system then move up from stage 1 to 2+ revo map. looking at 200-230hp once done from stock 115. currently sat at 167 revo stage 1 fully stock engine and exhaust. The brakes will be a well needed upgrade

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post

Did it really make that much difference Jeff?

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffy View Post
    Did it really make that much difference Jeff?
    Yes, it did. The braking is altogether more confidence-inspiring. I had the fluid changed at the same time.

Of course, it's possible that the original discs and pads were completely worn out, and simply renewing them with OEM parts would have had much the same effect. Either way, I'm happier than I was before.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

2nd Gear

Status
    I'd jumped from a Civic Type R on Redstuff's in to the Audi and also got a bit of a surprise at the lack of stopping power.

Originally just put it down to a much heavier car and going from uprated to standard, but it seems i'm not alone in feeling they are a bit poor then!

I keep telling myself that its not the kinda car i'll be driving hard enough to warrant upgrading the brakes on - but even straight forward braking approaching stationary traffic can leave you clenching your cheeks a bit sometimes. Dont think i've ever had a car thats felt that bad under 'normal' braking.