Calipers Painted - that's all

Danny-boy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Painted my calipers today, £10 mod and I'm quite pleased with myself.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364765362315327

Not the most interesting, but thought I would share.

Brake discs are rusted as the wife is away and I'm using her company 3-series, free fuel and that so I'd be daft not to.

Nice one....gotta keep your hands busy when the Mrs is away!....Did you take the caliper off to paint it or paint them as they are.

Cheers
A

Looks good mate. That's my next mod when I get time

Nice one....gotta keep your hands busy when the Mrs is away!....Did you take the caliper off to paint it or paint them as they are.

Cheers
A

Cheers gents.

I just took the wheel off, wire brush, brake cleaner and soft brush to remove any bits.

Then hammerite smooth and a 1" brush, job done.

Took an hour and a half from start to finish.

Very pleased with the outcome, s-line decals go on the calipers tomorrow.

Get the pictures up with the s line decals on mate when you've done it!

Could you take a closer pic so we can see the finish buddy, not to knock it in anyway, just want to see how smooth of a finish you end up with.

Will do gents, going out to play with the car in an hour.

Couldn't be bothered to fit the S-line decals as it was too cold & snowing, but I tried to take some close-up pics......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364818143410105

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364818166337259

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364818179418013

Dan

Reactions: Molnboman
looks good

Cheers Dannyboy, looks smoother than I thought it would. I'll wait til the warmer weather comes tho to mine, as you say, cheap n cheerful mod.

in all the years iv owned audis i have never got round to doin any of mine
the cab could do with them painting but im just to lazy.

The flaming weather has been putting me off.

Will do mine soon when warmer

Boys, it only takes a couple of hours max.

Wrap up warm and get it done!!!

Just looked on Halfords' site, Hammerite comes in 250 ml or 750ml sizes. Would the 250ml be enough, or would you say get the bigger one?

I bought a 500ml can and reckon I have used about a 20th of it, if that. That's for all 4 calipers.

Go for the 250ml mate.

I bought a 500ml can and reckon I have used about a 20th of it, if that. That's for all 4 calipers.

Go for the 250ml mate.

Thanks, Danny. At the same time, I might paint the hub surfaces of my discs. When I got the MTEC discs last November, i didn't bother ordering any coatings on them, and the hub sections have rusted up very quickly, leaving them a bit unsightly. I figure covering them with silver Hammerite at the same time as the calipers will smarten everything up.

Last edited:
Thanks, Danny. At the same time, I might paint the hub surfaces of my discs. When I got the MTC discs last November, i didn't bother ordering any coatings on them, and the hub sections have rusted up very quickly, leaving them a bit unsightly. I figure covering them with silver Hammerite at the same time as the calipers will smarten everything up.

I have done the same on most of my cars.

I didn't bother doing it this time round though, was cold, couldn't be bothered, they are not too rusty, the CH's hide them fairly well.

You can paint the dust guards too, makes the brake discs look bigger at a glance. Ha ha.

I have done the same on most of my cars.

I didn't bother doing it this time round though, was cold, couldn't be bothered, they are not too rusty, the CH's hide them fairly well.

You can paint the dust guards too, makes the brake discs look bigger at a glance. Ha ha.

How long does the paint take to dry?

Not a clue mate, just did it in the afternoon and left it overnight.

With a proper clean prior, they should only need one coat - the paint is quite thick.

I'd say leave it overnight to be safe.

Not a clue mate, just did it in the afternoon and left it overnight.

With a proper clean prior, they should only need one coat - the paint is quite thick.

I'd say leave it overnight to be safe.

Okey-dokey; I presume it's OK to put the wheels back on, though, yes?

Okey-dokey; I presume it's OK to put the wheels back on, though, yes?

Yeah I did, as soon as I painted them.

Just check the bottom of the caliper for drips, and if you are worried then drop something inside the wheel to catch drips. I didn't, and didn't have any drips.

It's quite thick so doesn't run very easily.

And don't forget to drop some pics up when you are done.

Great job, thanks for sharing.

I usually do mine every year too, but I paint both the calipers & the hubs which also seem to get dirty / rusty and take away the look of the wheels.....

Image015.jpg

Image014.jpg

rearwheel2.jpg

That looks great, I half wish I had had the time to paint my hubs now.

Might do it next weekend if it has warmed up a little.

Great job, thanks for sharing.

I usually do mine every year too, but I paint both the calipers & the hubs which also seem to get dirty / rusty and take away the look of the wheels.....

Image015.jpg

Image014.jpg

That's exactly the look I'm after; I even have the same wheels.

Painted Black with S Line decals

Think I'll paint the hubs also.... as they are a bit rusty!

IMG 2056

IMG 2053

Thanks, Danny. At the same time, I might paint the hub surfaces of my discs. When I got the MTEC discs last November, i didn't bother ordering any coatings on them, and the hub sections have rusted up very quickly, leaving them a bit unsightly. I figure covering them with silver Hammerite at the same time as the calipers will smarten everything up.

I used VHT wrinkle black to do the parts that go rusty, looks really nice, no heat issues so it lasts. I'm hoping you're not going to paint the face of the hub where the wheel mounts tho, just the sides? Not a good idea especially with a heavy paint like Hammerite.

Picture of mine but with spacer fitted, these were done with Hammerite smooth aerosol.

d230dc50-bda2-4f92-9097-99719f2a628f.jpg

Where did you get the S-Line decals from????

They look like the eBay ones, I bought some.

I canned it once I realised they wouldn't fit central on the caliper.

Just bought these.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364838263398691

They fit the front anti-rattle clip square almost perfectly, hopefully they will look good on my silver calipers.

Was working from home today, and had all my cases finished by lunchtime. It was a bright sunny day - still cold, though - so I decided to paint my calipers and hubs.

Here are the results.

Front offside - before

P1000380_zps14d4ec4e.jpg

And after:

P1000381_zps5f602c46.jpg

And one of the rears, with the wheel back on:

P1000382_zpsd23e9321.jpg

come an do ine someone !

I'll be doing mine pretty soon, cant decide on Red or Silver though, car is red but ill be getting gunmetal alloys pretty soon, which will look best?

Cheers gents.

I just took the wheel off, wire brush, brake cleaner and soft brush to remove any bits.

Then hammerite smooth and a 1" brush, job done.

Took an hour and a half from start to finish.

Very pleased with the outcome, s-line decals go on the calipers tomorrow.

Just to clarify, what paint have you guys all used? Assuming High temp paint is required for the calipers and not just hammerite standard paint?

Need to do this when the weather brightens up and I refill my trolley-jack... AITP is going to have an array of multi-coloured calipers this year!

Just to clarify, what paint have you guys all used? Assuming High temp paint is required for the calipers and not just hammerite standard paint?

Need to do this when the weather brightens up and I refill my trolley-jack... AITP is going to have an array of multi-coloured calipers this year!

I used standard Hammerite Smooth Silver. I figured the airflow should offset any friction-induced heat soak. If I'm wrong, I guess I'll be doing them again in the summer.