Chris NottBadger5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Calipers Painted - that's all

2nd Gear

Status

Calipers Painted - that's all

Hammerite standard is fine, used it on many cars.

My E39 530 sport had them done silver for 2 years and 60k miles, when cleaned they were as good as the day I painted them.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    Was working from home today, and had all my cases finished by lunchtime. It was a bright sunny day - still cold, though - so I decided to paint my calipers and hubs.

Here are the results.

Front offside - before

And after:

And one of the rears, with the wheel back on:

Well done that man, looks ace.

Didn't think you would do it that soon!!!!

How long start to finish?

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny-boy View Post
    How long start to finish?
    Hour and a half.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Changing the subject entirely, but referencing other threads, having the wheels off allowed me to notice that the MTEC front discs do have locating screws.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

1st Gear

Status
    Was working from home today, and had all my cases finished by lunchtime. It was a bright sunny day - still cold, though - so I decided to paint my calipers and hubs.

Here are the results.

Front offside - before

And after:

And one of the rears, with the wheel back on:

What a great job, HUGE improvement......kudos to you my friend.

Well, I'm really lucky, but, skint.....lol

Just had new pads & discs fitted all round so my hubs are looking the mutts nutts at the moment. I'll be getting the wheels off in the next few weeks and repainting my calipers to match.

Whilst the wheels are off I'll be cleaning them inside n out with this
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...44697112,d.d2k

Any baked on brake dust / filings and or tar are instantly removed.....you can even see it working and its non acidic too.

One of the best products in my detailing armoury for sure
    MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys

MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE
    176bhp Stratos Blue, badged as 3.0 Tdi Quattro.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,Sline grille badge added, 19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's,First Aid Kit,Bootliner,Mudflaps front & rear,Calipers & hubs painted

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post

Whilst the wheels are off I'll be cleaning them inside n out
    Sadly, I didn't have time to clean inside my wheels today. A missed opportunity.

1st Gear

Status
    An upside is the drilled / grooved discs you have are awesome....

I nearly went with them myself
    MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys

MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE
    176bhp Stratos Blue, badged as 3.0 Tdi Quattro.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,Sline grille badge added, 19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's,First Aid Kit,Bootliner,Mudflaps front & rear,Calipers & hubs painted

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmurphy21187 View Post
    Just to clarify, what paint have you guys all used? Assuming High temp paint is required for the calipers and not just hammerite standard paint?

Need to do this when the weather brightens up and I refill my trolley-jack... AITP is going to have an array of multi-coloured calipers this year!
    Used hammerite on all my cars buddy......No flaking or pealing on any as yet

1st Gear

Status

That link doesn't work Jim

2nd Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by READER84 View Post
    That link doesn't work Jim
    Works for me.

2nd Gear

Status
    Used normal hammerite on calipers for years, actually lasts really well. In fact, I've never had to re-do them and usually keep my cars for around 5 yrs.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    An upside is the drilled / grooved discs you have are awesome....

I nearly went with them myself

They've only been on about five months, but I'm very happy with them so far.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Well, I'm really lucky, but, skint.....lol
    A tin of Hammerite costs £8.99.

2nd Gear

Status

And a good 1" brush is about £4.

Stop making excuses!!!!! Ha ha

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    And a good 1" brush is about £4.
    And a cr@p 1" brush from the wife's craft box is free.

2nd Gear

Status

And a cr@p 1" brush from the wife's craft box is free.
    Dude, your wife has a craft box?

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Dude, your wife has a craft box?
    Yeah, it's a girls version of a toolbox.

No, seriously, Mrs Grumpy Old Man is quite creative, and has all sorts of arty crafty bits and pieces.

2nd Gear

Status

Well, if it saves you £4 then bonus.

I take it you washed it and put it back? Ha ha.

I tried to clean mine for about 10 seconds, then threw it away!!!

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I tried to clean mine for about 10 seconds, then threw it away!!!
    This. Don't tell her.

2nd Gear

Status

This. Don't tell her.
    Lol, I guessed as much.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Need my callipers doing too but won't be going at them with a brush as the last set of callipers I done on my Golf didn't come our as I hoped with drips/lumps all over the place (attempted 2-3 coats for high gloss finish).

Instead my plan is to get them all sent off to a guy I know in Loughborough who can bead blast them and get them all powder coated.

Any suggestions for what colour with my Sprint Blue? I was thinking black, then getting S4 anti-rattle clips, spraying them black and then get some quattro stickers to go on them.

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just looking at this... Where people have painted the sides of the hubs... Am I right in saying that part is NOT changed when the disks are changed? Or will these need repainting everytime you get new discs?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by azibux1 View Post
    Just looking at this... Where people have painted the sides of the hubs... Am I right in saying that part is NOT changed when the disks are changed? Or will these need repainting everytime you get new discs?
    No, the bell is normally part of the disc.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    No, the bell is normally part of the disc.
    That's right; the disc is shaped to fit over the hub, so when we talk of painting the hubs, we are actually painting the hub section of the disc.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Okay thanks that makes sense

I assume it would be the same design for a 58 plate S3?

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by azibux1 View Post
    Okay thanks that makes sense

I assume it would be the same design for a 58 plate S3?
    I imagine so, yes. It's pretty much the norm for brake disc design.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I imagine so, yes. It's pretty much the norm for brake disc design.
    Alright then (Y)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12