Audi A4 3.0 tdi quattro

MGTURBOM

Reaction score
I've been having a bit of trouble over the last couple of the months not running correctly. It's finally given up today and it won't start. The problems started when the car hesitated slightly under exceleration and the glow plug then started to flash. It was a cold morning so thought it might just be one of those things. The engine management then came on and the car went into limp mode. Pulled up turned the car off and then back on and the lights went out.

Ever since its been doing the same thing somewhat randomly although up until recently it had been under conditions when opening the throttle up! Last week on a trip up the M6 the flashing coil light came on at a steady 70 mph, turning the engine off and back on whilst travelling turned the light off until eventually it did the same again and the management light came on. The management light subsequently stayed on but the car was drivable without loss of power, it then went out on its own accord over the weekend.

A couple of times when the coil light has started flashing its has momentarily lost power. Up until yesterday I was living with the problem as I did have it checked at Audi and they noted a low fuel pressure fault code. I didn't want to risk throwing money at a problem until I know what it is and the dealer was less than sure of the cause.

Today the car wont start at all. The AA came out to it and they have checked the car. It has a fault code P0087 which suggests the cause may be fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pipe blockage, or mechanical fault. The fuel filter has been checked and this is not blocked. When cranking fuel can be seen getting to the fuel rail which suggests the fuel pump is fine, it would appear from my limited knowledge it could be the fuel rail? It had something replaced along these lines by the dealer just before I bought the car a couple of years ago. The AA chap also mentioned problems could be caused by the EGR valve stuck open? Having looked at it is doesn't seem easy to clean!

I know it's a bit of and essay but if anyone could offer advice that could help me it may also benefit others in the future......

Many thanks

Just to add the car is 2006 and has done 125K

............So a week later the car is still at Audi. Apparently air is getting into the fuel. Can anyone shed any light on this problem????

Spooky - my Cabrio has just turned 136k miles and has just developed a "non turbo" feel struggling to get above 2000 rpm with an occasional burst back to "real life" which I suspect means an electronics issue and a sensor failure somewhere

Spooky - my Cabrio has just turned 136k miles and has just developed a "non turbo" feel struggling to get above 2000 rpm with an occasional burst back to "real life" which I suspect means an electronics issue and a sensor failure somewhere

So as Ive been very conscious I put my 2006 3.0TDI Cab in for its annual liquid gold change (oil) and to ask them to check the power loss.
Their answer verbatim "Investigate lack of power, traced to turbo defective" cost to rectify £3k ! which they will reduce to £1782 and change as a good will gesture !

No codes no thoughts of a sticking valve etc just change the whole damn unit - what a rip off

Any thoughts anyone
:(

13128 and P3348 - Ive been told "its something to do with the turbo" again :sadlike:
not mechanically proficient to fiddle with it myself I may have to bite the bullet call Wonga and then back to the stealers
What should a decent indi be looking at for a swap out ?
Anyone recommend anyone in Hampshire Farnbrough area?
many thanks in advance
:sos:

Final Chapter - back to Basingstoke audi who changed two Exhaust manifolds that were "breaking down" (surely a bit of counselling and they would have been fine lol) and Turbo ( damaged by bits of manifold !) Of the £3.2 bill they stumped up £1400 so I got hit for £1800
Car still has occasional hesitations but im putting that down to it now having 140k on the clock - goes like the proverbial again though which is nice with the top down in the sunshine :)

DPF filter will show up glow plug light then engine light so you need to look at fault code, mine is now deleted and no lights anymore.