Repeat and multiple glow plug failure - 3.0TDi

AndrewS

Reaction score
Evening all,

I bought a 2007MY car with 50k miles and FASH a month ago. During the pre-sale inspection, No.2 glow plug was found to be open circuit. It was replaced with a new OEM part supplied by TPS.

In this recent cold snap, I noticed that the car was a little reluctant to start and had VCDS hooked up to check all was well and found that No.2 glow plug is open circuit again, as is No.4 & No.5.

Any idea why a brand new glow plug should fail again so soon - literally no more than a couple of dozen starts, and also why there appears to have been a cascade effect causing the other two to fail?

No other fault codes appear, just those relating to the open-circuit glow plugs.

The car has a 3 month warranty, so I'm keen to get to the bottom of it and not be left with a lemon...

Many thanks,

Andrew

Could well be a problem with the wiring loom. Apparently they get very brittle with age.

So, car going in for six new glow plugs under warranty on Friday - hoping that will sort it. Aside from a visual inspection looking for signs of heat damage, are there any other ways of checking the loom without physically testing the continuity of each and every core?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread I just wondered if you ever got to the bottom of the failing glow plug problem, I have a 3.0TDI, last service said I had a failed No.1 glow plug, and just recently had the management light come on and stay on till I cleared it on VCDS, but then I had No.2 glow plug fail, which was quickly followed by No,3 failing.

The wiring loom for the glow plugs will need changing. Happened to mine just after fitting new plugs, its quite common the looms just get old and brittle.

Reactions: Andy27168
The wiring loom for the glow plugs will need changing. Happened to mine just after fitting new plugs, its quite common the looms just get old and brittle.

Was yours a 3.0TDI? I have just looked at the EPC and it appears there is no separate loom for the Glow Plugs, you have to replace the entire engine loom and at a £1000+ for the loom I hope it is,nt that.