Spacer problems!

xirtam

Reaction score
I'm having some issues with my H&R hubcentric spacers,
The spacers will not fit flush with the hub. I've got afew pictures to show you what I mean.

There is still a gap when I put them on.
The centre bit will not fit on through due to the centre hub.

I'm guessing the centre should fit on through and into the
second part of the bevel. It just won't fit.

I'm not happy to run them leaving this gap, is there anything I can do?

Thanks,

DSCF1522e
DSCF1516e
DSCF1520e

Are they the correct centre bore for your car?

I wouldn't be happy to run them like that either!!!!

I have had spacers on all my cars and they always sit tight to the hub.

What is stopping them exactly?

Had this as well only I had FK spacers, the recess in the spacer isn't deep enough for the protruding length of the hub. The A4s the only car I've had this problem with, I think you'll hit this problem with any hubcentric spacer under 15mm. I ended up shaving the hub back a bit to get them to fit, red line in the picture shows material I removed.

IMG_0669-1.jpg

I wouldn't shave anything down, just send them back & advise of adjustment needed, they should either engineer correct ones or refund.

I wouldn't shave anything down, just send them back & advise of adjustment needed, they should either engineer correct ones or refund.

Problem is, due to the unusually long hubs I think its impossible to engineer a hubcentric spacer that's less than 15mm(ish) to sit on our hubs whilst leaving enough material to form a new hub on the spacer to mount the wheel to.

I chose to shave because if you look at the picture there's a raised lip about 10mm back from the edge, that is the most important part as its the lip(57.1mm) the wheel centres on. Any material between that and the edge serves no purpose and in my eyes can be removed. Only issue is if its the rear it has a cap fitted into it, my fronts didn't. if you choose to keep the cap you'd need to remove a bit more material. I opted to not use it, shaved the minimum I needed and made a plastic disc to fit in the hub to keep the crap out.

The only bit that concerned me was when I read up on it. The amount of people who thought it would be acceptable to use the spacer not sitting on the hub like the OPs, bolted a wheel up then cracked the spacer and had the nerve to complain about it, scarey!!!

iv never had to shave any on 10 15 etc etc

normaly go for H&R
got FK on the cab
and used the no names from the bay and all been ok

Very strange then that my FKs didn't fit and yours did. I wonder if hubs differ across A4s? TBH I sort of assumed it was an FK thing as they're more budget end of spacers but surprised to read the OPs H&Rs didn't fit.

This is a picture I took when I got mine, the hatched red bit is the material I'd need to have machined out to get them on. As you can see if I'd taken that material away it would have broken through or left very little material to support the wheel.

IMG_0671.jpg

Ive got 12mm tpi spacers on the rear and they fit fine, also got some eibach 8mm spacers coming for the front.

Will let you know if they fit when they come next week.

Out of interest, have you tried to fit them to all hubs? Do all spacers fit like that on all hubs?

Thanks for all the comments, I have to say I was disappointed that the H&R don't seem to fit.

I took it to a mechanic yesterday and he told me there was no way they would fit on.
I'm not comfortable in altering them or the hub to get them to fit.

8mm at the front won't fit and the 10mm at the back don't fit either :(

Is there a make of hubcentric spacer (8/10mm) that definitely fit an A4?

I don't want to go with non hubcentric spacers, I've heard bad things about them.

As the hubs are too long you could possibly get away with a non hubcentric spacer as you're not going for very thick spacers. Take one of your wheels off and measure, there still might be enough of the hub protruding past a 8/10mm spacer to safely mount a wheel on??

Only issue is if its the rear it has a cap fitted into it, my fronts didn't. if you choose to keep the cap you'd need to remove a bit more material. I opted to not use it, shaved the minimum I needed and made a plastic disc to fit in the hub to keep the crap out.

@ajax1976 How did you remove the cap on the rear, finding it tough to remove. I got the front spacers on after abit of work and I'm going to try the rear if I can remove the cap.

I just used a chisel and hammer, going round it and gently tapping it out a small bit at a time. As long as you keep rotating it and don't tap it out too much at a time it will slowly come out.

How did you manage to get the fronts on?

Had to remove alittle of the hub to get the fronts on,

same with the back but now I need to make some sort of cap for the rears to keep the dirt out

Last edited:
Talk to H&R, I think there are 2 different spacers available for the A4. I've got 10mm Hubcentric on mine and they fit on the rear without any issues. Look at there website as I think i found this on there.

I need some 10mm hubcentric for mine, can you link the ones that actually fit please.

For those that are interested the 10mm spacers that fit my quattro without issues are H&R 2055571A or Euro Car Parts # is 983 44 0721.