Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Newbie, Black smoke :(

Hi all,

I've just bought a 2005 TDI avant s-line (140bph) starting to have problems already Hopefully somebody will be able to help.

The car drives fine when under load. The problem seems to be when driving sensibly then accelerating, theres loads of black smoke out the back and lack of power, if I change down a gear and accelerate then theres no problem. Also today when I started the car it was smoking heavily, I had to gently convince it to rev up. It then ran fine again. Hope this makes sense

I removed the EGR valve and cleaned all the gunk out it but doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Graeme

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Have you scanned for fault codes? Check all the intercooler pipework

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi deian3387

I've got a hand held scanner that says no codes found. Also theres no warning lights on the dash board. I've checked all the pipes but i'll go over them again today.
    Do you know if the 3mm pipe going into the EGR valve should have pressure to it? I can blow / suck into this pipe with no resistance

Reverse Gear

Status
    IMG_1258.jpgIMG_1257.jpgIMG_1259.jpg

Looks like a new EGR Cooler fitted. The small rubber pipe on pic three is the one i'm wondering if there should be a vacuum.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Black smoke is an indication of incorrect fuel combustion/mixture i.e. not enough fresh air. Could be anything from a boost leak or blocked air filter to an EGR valve stuck open.

With regards to the vacuum pipe on the EGR valve, I'm pretty sure the vacuum is only actuated to the valve when EGR is required by the ECU. Therefore no vacuum = NO EGR (valve closed). But don't take my word for it as this is only my experience with different engines.

Hope that helps, Az.

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks A4_Majik,

I fitted a new air filter this morning hoping that was possibly the problem. No change tho.
    I'll spend the afternoon checking pipes etc. As i said under acceleration its fine, to me its similar to flooding with fuel, but I'm no mechanic

Looking for Zombies !!

Status
    I had the same problem when I filled up at Sainsburys, now I use Shell I have never had the problem since.

JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sidibear View Post
    I had the same problem when I filled up at Sainsburys, now I use Shell I have never had the problem since.
    im with sidi on this one, when i first got my a4 i had quite a bit of black smoke using cheap fuel, swapped onto the Vpower stuff and all is clear the only time u can tell my car is a diesel is when i boot it and the engine revs right round

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks guys,

I put £30 of diesel in yesterday and it does look slightly better,not sure if its the fuel or all the buggering about i've been doing.
    I'll go & fill up with vpower today