EM TuningAH Fabrications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By A4_MaJiK

Thread: 3.0tdi or 2.7tdi, manual or auto ?!?

5th Gear

Status

3.0tdi or 2.7tdi, manual or auto ?!?

I've currently got a low mileage 1.9tdi 130bhp Quattro Avant B6 sport. My daily commute involves 10miles on a 60mph single carriageway with 3 overtaking points and then 13 miles of motorway. I lack the grunt to overtake confidently and have thought about getting a remap but I'm thinking more towards an upgrade now instead.

So I would like your opinions please and reasons why:

3.0tdi or 2.7tdi B7 Avant?
    Manual or Auto?
    Leave stock or remap?
    Any other desirable options?

Thanks for your help

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    3.0 Manual, goes like a ****er. Remap/box goes like a demented ****er. I could be a bit bias though

6th Gear

Status
    never understood why Audi dropped the 2.5 and went for the 2.7TDi, but I would go for the 3.0, and as far as the box goes both are very good.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I have a 3.0TDi Quattro Automatic with a re-map. It's the perfect combination
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

4th Gear

Status
    Why go for the 2.7 ?? You need to have a quattro....when you can go for the 3.0 TDI quattro. Enough power remapped or not you won't be disappointed. Mine is a Tiptronic and has loooooadsa grunt. Now your dilemma is whether you go for manual or auto. Drive both and see which one you prefer.

Good luck.
    Torque the Torque

1st Gear

Status

3.0tdi or 2.7tdi, manual or auto ?!?

You could always try a blacksmoke remap first. £22 for the cable off eBay and then around £45 for the remap file.

5th Gear

Status
    thanks for the replies - I'm thinking 3.0 in tiptronic now!

Tiptronic

Status
    I think the 2.7 may be a slightly more economical engine, so if mpg is a big concern it might be worth considering. But overall the 3.0 is the better choice, if only for the quattro.

Gearbox comes down to personal preference really, if you do a primarily commuting I would say auto, but if a lot of your driving is country lanes at the weekend, manual would be more fun. Bear in mind that the 'tiptronic' is still an automatic, and not a manual with an auto clutch, so no DSG with quick gear changes. As above, test drive both and see which you prefer.

Having had an auto for a year now I don't think I could go back to a manual for my daily. Plus the wealth of power/torque makes up for the occasional incorrect gear placement (which you can counter by using the box in 'manual' mode)

Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)

Tiptronic

Status
    Oh, and definitely remap. Why would you not?!?!

Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Agree with the above. The 3.0TDI is a peach of an engine and the huge amounts of torque and 4WD would make it ideal for your overtaking requirements. I’ve got a similar commute – i.e. part of the commute involves 10 miles of single carriage way with 2 overtaking opportunities. The torque from the 3.0TDI makes overtaking 2 or even 3 slow moving cars fast, safe and painless – oh and the noise is pretty exciting too. As for auto vrs manual, it’s your choice. I thought I wanted a manual but after spending hours reading up on the forums I eventually went for an auto. Better for commuting and, apparently, a better option for remapping. I miss the option of manual control when playing on B roads though. In terms of remapping, again up to you – personally I think that the standard 233bhp engine offers more than enough performance for my needs. You’ll certainly notice a huge difference over the 1.9TDI! Good Luck.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    There are two routes for re-mapping a 3.0TDi, the traditional performance route which typically produces circa 275bhp & 450 Lb/ft of torque, or an economy map, which "only" gives circa 255bhp & 385 lb/ft of torque, but optimises fuel economy at steady cruising speeds. I went for the latter, because it suited my driving mix. It still represents a big jump over the already generous stock outputs, and makes a supremely good engine even better. The power delivery really is seamless and effortless, and when mated with a tiptronic auto, gives just the most perfect combination for motorway and trunk road driving. Meanwhile, because it's a Quattro, I can still drive safely (but still very carefully) in snow.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmurphy21187 View Post
    Having had an auto for a year now I don't think I could go back to a manual for my daily. Plus the wealth of power/torque makes up for the occasional incorrect gear placement (which you can counter by using the box in 'manual' mode)
    Agree- I dont miss the manual as the car has good power even when you drive it in manual mode you can still have fun too.
    if you drive one....you may not want to get out Big step up from the 1.9TDI QS
    Torque the Torque

4th Gear

Status
    Go for the 233ps non DPF if you can
    Torque the Torque

5th Gear

Status
    another vote for auto with the 3.0, you'll spend too much time changing gear in the manual as the power band is small, also try doing a full power launch in the manual its hard to get it right, auto removes the guess work
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

5th Gear

Status
    thanks for all the info. So the 2.7 didn't come in Quattro form?

I would be going for an eco map really as had lots of hot hatchs (S2000, Civic TypeR, Integra typeR, Mini cooper S works, etc) and miss the punch but my 1.9tdi Q is only doing ~38mpg so wouldn't be much worse but more fun

Quote Originally Posted by V6 Quatt View Post
    Go for the 233ps non DPF if you can
    is there a specific year or engine code that has the 233ps?

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkincoupe View Post
    is there a specific year or engine code that has the 233ps?
    Mine is a 2007 233PS (before map), engine code ASB, and it doesn't have a DPF (deep joy!).

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    I have a manual 3.0TDI and boy does it shift! Didn't go for the auto as I don't enjoy driving slow torque converter boxes (shifts take too long), if it had DSG however I would have taken that no doubt. Although sometimes when I'm lazy I feel I wish I had an auto, but then again launching at the lights is so much more fun in a manual! Plus I benefit from ~2MPG

As above, drive both and see what suits you better as it is entirely a matter of personal preference when it comes to choices like these. I promise you will enjoy either one however.

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

5th Gear

Status
    ASB engine here too

run the reg though here to see engine code and bhp

VRM

make sure you get the =
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Nova View Post
    ASB engine here too

run the reg though here to see engine code and bhp

VRM

make sure you get the =
    What does " make sure you get = " mean?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    Mine is a 2007 233PS (before map), engine code ASB, and it doesn't have a DPF (deep joy!).
    Yeh great bit more power from stock too.
    Torque the Torque

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkincoupe View Post
    What does " make sure you get = " mean?
    on the link, it doesn't always work
    VCDS in North Wales

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

I don't understand how you have a newer (2007) ASB and I have a 2006 ASB yet mine came with DPF and yours didn't?

~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

5th Gear

Status
    check the chassis numbers, it's probs older
    VCDS in North Wales

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4_MaJiK View Post
    I don't understand how you have a newer (2007) ASB and I have a 2006 ASB yet mine came with DPF and yours didn't?
    It came as a bit of a surprise to me too. Firstly I would say that I have no idea what a DPF looks like, and wouldn't recognise it if it jumped out of the engine bay and bit me in the face. But I just assumed from the day I bought the car that it was fitted with one. Then a couple of months back, I found out on t'other forum that data entry 7GN means no DPF is fitted. I checked my data sheet, and sure enough, there was code 7GN.

Click here and read to post 17.
    Last edited by jdp1962; 28th March 2013 at 07:13.

1st Gear

Status
    I have a Jan 2007 3.0 tdi (obviously made in 2006) and mine doesn't have a DPF either. I think you may have been able to request non-DPF when purchasing.

Oh, and in response to the original question, 3.0 tdi all the way! I have an auto box and wouldn't change it for the world! However my boy racer days are fading, I like the easy drive of the auto box. Saying that, a remap will soon be on the cards

1st Gear

Status
    It came as a bit of a surprise to me too. Firstly I would say that I have no idea what a DPF looks like, and wouldn't recognise it if it jumped out of the engine bay and bit me in the face. But I just assumed from the day I bought the car that it was fitted with one. Then a couple of months back, I found out on t'other forum that data entry 7GN means no DPF is fitted. I checked my data sheet, and sure enough, there was code 7GN.

Click here and read to post 17.
    Mine is a 2007 with a 7GN code But its does have a DPF

1st Gear

Status
    My only gripe with the manual is 1st gear is way to short

Reverse Gear

Status
    I just bought myself a 2005 manual, and boy am I smiling from ear to ear. I do agree first is very very short, second is fantastic!

I wanted to ask, what difference will a remap make to my model, primarily what are the pros and cons of doing a remap.

I would also like to know if there is anything I should look out for generally with this model.

Lastly in terms of rev's what number should one never really take it past, 4500?

Thanks guys!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-C View Post
    Mine is a 2007 with a 7GN code But its does have a DPF
    Does your also have a code 7GG?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-C View Post
    My only gripe with the manual is 1st gear is way to short
    Yeah 1st gear is way too short, i had mine remapped and its pushing around 270bhp with almost 600nm of torque!

Also lowered an extra 10mm and fit the RS4 anti roll bar aswell as uprated drilled discs and braided brake lines.

Love it, although i have a manul box and too be honest it gets tiring after a while.

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by inagapm View Post

Lastly in terms of rev's what number should one never really take it past, 4500?

Thanks guys!
    auto in sport changes at the redline
    VCDS in North Wales

4th Gear

Status
    Is there a noticable improvement with the brake upgrade??

Yeh I understand, I had a manual 2.5 Quattro B6 and it was tiring driving.

QUOTE=Dazmo;1831901]Yeah 1st gear is way too short, i had mine remapped and its pushing around 270bhp with almost 600nm of torque!

Also lowered an extra 10mm and fit the RS4 anti roll bar aswell as uprated drilled discs and braided brake lines.

Love it, although i have a manul box and too be honest it gets tiring after a while.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by V6 Quatt; 31st March 2013 at 15:40.
    Torque the Torque

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by .Jas. View Post
    Does your also have a code 7GG?
    Nope, I presume the DPF is the large(ish) thing bolted out the back of the Turbo?

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

I'm pretty sure the DPF is located further down underneath the vehicle. The large(ish) thing bolted post-turbocharger is the oxidising catalyst.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Mine has code 7GN and definitely has the DPF as it is the TDV variant (compliant with EU4). Also check the VAG options code list online and both 7GG and 7GN are listed as DPF (EU4). I belive 7GG is the code used on transverse engines as the DPF unit would also have the oxidising catalyst integrated into it.

Az
    jdp1962 likes this.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Mine has code 7GN and definitely has the DPF as it is the TDV variant (compliant with EU4). Also check the VAG options code list online and both 7GG and 7GN are listed as DPF (EU4). I belive 7GG is the code used on transverse engines as the DPF unit would also have the oxidising catalyst integrated into it.

Az
    So it looks like I do have a DPF after all. Ah well, never mind.

6th Gear

Status
    If you're happy with your 1.9Tdi quattro then i would just spend a grand or 2 and tune-it instead of going to the 3.0tdi. The 1.9Tdi with right ingredients will go safely to 220-250Bhp and the quattro can put the power on the floor. I would use Bosio/Firad nozzles +50%, BV43 turbo and a custom remap for safe 220 Bhp. The stock nozzles are fine for that power but needs increased injection duration which can result in smoke. For safe 250Bhp i would throw a set of Rosten conrods, Firad +80% nozzles, Darkside Developments tubular manifold to fit a GTB2056Vk, 4 Bar map sensor, front mount intercooler and remap to suit. These mods will safely net you 250-270Bhp without no reliability issues but will require opening the engine to fit the rods !

The other viable option is to buy a 2.5 tdi quattro, add a set of larger injectors, a hybrid turbocharger and a remap and piss all over 2.7-3.0Tdi without any bother from swirl flaps/intake manifold issues, faulty injectors or DPF problems. The later v6 CR Tdi engines are very, very difficult to fix when they go wrong and cost a bundle too ! Go for manual gearbox as that's a real 01E gearbox that can take +600Bhp and over 1000Nm of torque with minor modifications- read GT40 forums for strenghtening tips !

I was contemplating buying the 3.0Tdi but lack of mods bar the remap does not do it for me, i think i will wait till the 3.0 twin turbo becomes more affordable !
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

1st Gear

Status
    Regarding the DPF, have a read of this thread. I called Audi who took my VIN and told me I didn't have a DPF. I have code 7GN (and not code 7GG).

I will do a VCDS dash light test when I can, to see if there's a DPF light.