Mobile Vag Com technician - is there such a thing and worth it before buying?

damodici

Reaction score
I think I'm pretty set on the 1.9tdi sline avant I've found up near Stockport , its a 55 plate with FASH and 55k on the clocks, all paperwork seems to be in order and I'm set to test drive it this weekend if the weather sorts itself out (snowing here in Nottingham at the minute)

anyway I wondered if it would be worth while having somebody run a diagnostic on the car prior to purchase and I believe VAG com is the program everybody uses?

are there such people out there that do this kind of service for a fee? I can't see the deal being too fussed as he seems pretty straight laced and if the cars as good as they say perhaps its worth while?

failing that I guess I could ask if we could head to a local Audi garage but I'd assume that may take a lot of time and require a pre booked slot so a mobile tech chap would be ideal.

any ideas?

cheers

Have a look in the VCDS section,a map with where and who is there,pm them for help usually beer tokens are exchanged.

If there are no warning lights generally there are no major problems. If you like the car and buy it then want a diagnostic check in Nottingham bring it lion garage and ill sort it for you foc :)

I have seen soo many dodgy cars it defies belief ! Broken LED's on dasho and wiring the circuit to oil pump sensor is common and could cost thousands to put right. As you thought off, i would get a mobile mechanic to give it a good once over for you, it could save you potential expenses- nobody sells a good car cheap or without problems- and i would double and triple check the mileage is genuine- they are so easy to clock !

I took VCDS (what Vag Com is now called) when I bought both the DTM and my wife's car.. It showed a couple of issues on both and I negotiated as a result. Find someone in the area to come with you, or pay for a pre-purchase check from the AA or somebody who actually guarantees their findings.

Reactions: damodici
I took VCDS (what Vag Com is now called) when I bought both the DTM and my wife's car.. It showed a couple of issues on both and I negotiated as a result. Find someone in the area to come with you, or pay for a pre-purchase check from the AA or somebody who actually guarantees their findings.

are the AA or RAC likely to have the vcds software? I must admit I did consider getting them to do checks but didn't really think they'd check Audi fault codes and the like.

id better give them a ring to find out

are the AA or RAC likely to have the vcds software? I must admit I did consider getting them to do checks but didn't really think they'd check Audi fault codes and the like.

id better give them a ring to find out
You can pay 180 I think for a vehicle check if you have concerns,they'll give you a report
yes they do have diagnostics software

Motor Vehicle Inspection & Car Checks | RAC | RAC

You can pay 180 I think for a vehicle check if you have concerns,they'll give you a report
yes they do have diagnostics software

Motor Vehicle Inspection & Car Checks | RAC | RAC

Cheers mate.

yes was looking at them the other week, i did consider it but just didnt expect them to have the software. I guess they do so its definately an option.

Ive actually taken your advice from earlier in the thread and checked out the VCDS map and sent out 1 polite pm to a member here so fingers crossed that may be an option

Obviously im happy to pay cash for time and efforts so we'll see if anything comes of that. Theres also a 2nd car up in Burnley (first is stockport area) im looking at as well so would rather utilise memebrs of the board if i can otherwise the RAC/AA route could get expensive having multiple checks

fingers crossed.

As an option, and if you're considering the rac check at £180, why don't you pay a little extra, buy a vdcs lead and then you scan as many cars as you want yourself and you won't have to rely on forum members availability etc. If you don't end up buying an audi (or any vag car since the lead works for all vag cars) you could sell the lead and might only lose £50, which is nothing really in the grand scheme.

And if you buy an audi you'll be glad you bought it anyway. Mine has been dead handy.

Reactions: A4_MaJiK and damodici
This was my thought aswel just buy vcds and away you go mate eh

crazy88:1824612 said:
As an option, and if you're considering the rac check at £180, why don't you pay a little extra, buy a vdcs lead and then you scan as many cars as you want yourself and you won't have to rely on forum members availability etc. If you don't end up buying an audi (or any vag car since the lead works for all vag cars) you could sell the lead and might only lose £50, which is nothing really in the grand scheme.

And if you buy an audi you'll be glad you bought it anyway. Mine has been dead handy.

how much are the leads then and is the software freeware of is there a license to pay on that as well?

I assume there are numrous guides somewhere on the VCDS section of the forum.

Its a good call and something id definately do.

Its just that between now and next week of me expectiing to do the test drive and possible purchase, sorting out my own VCDS with a Lead and actually learning it to the degree id know what i was doing with somebody elses car might be a tall ask :)

i can just see it now, i test drive it, fry the ecu and end up having to buy it anyway ;)

The lead is the best part of £250, possibly a little more but nothing much more. Loads of places sell them. I got mine from a website called gendan.

Just found the link, it's 263 Inc p&p. http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

The software is downloaded for free, and the lead is basically the license for it.

As for scanning your car, there's little trouble you could cause just doing a scan. When you plug the lead in it'll ask if you want to scan. It'll take 10 mins or so, and provide a list of faults if any were found. Just use that list to wangle the price down of the car. :) vcds can no doubt cause troubles, but it's usually pretty clear if what you're doing is potentially risky.

There's plenty more experienced people on here with much more vcds knowledge. Check out YouTube, there's bound to be a video somewhere telling you want to do.

I'm certan NHN on this very forum will do it for less than that.. PM him!

If you buy an Audi and you don't intend to hand it to someone else for all servicing and diagnostics (who does!) you will need this cable at some point. Drink less beer for 2 months and save up :aggressive:

how much are the leads then and is the software freeware of is there a license to pay on that as well?

I assume there are numrous guides somewhere on the VCDS section of the forum.

Its a good call and something id definately do.

Its just that between now and next week of me expectiing to do the test drive and possible purchase, sorting out my own VCDS with a Lead and actually learning it to the degree id know what i was doing with somebody elses car might be a tall ask :)

i can just see it now, i test drive it, fry the ecu and end up having to buy it anyway ;)

Contact NHN ( site sponsor on here ) If you looking for a genuine vcds cable, im almost certain that the cables he supplies are cheaper than gendan. :) x

Those on that Amazon link are NOT genuine, you'll get no assistance if you post a scan on a forum and it won't work as new versions are released. Avoid at all costs, and if you do buy one, don't talk about it on here!

Edit to add: you can see VCDS is now on 11.11.5 and this cable is stuck on some pre-historic version. Several reviews confirm it.

Last edited:
The amazon ones I know of are all counterfeit, don't waste your money.

Thanks for the guidance, I think I'll just get my codes read professionally in that case.