Windscreen washer reservoir - do I have a problem?

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I fitted my Passat fan-jet nozzles Monday afternoon, and expended lots of water in the course of setting the alignment correctly. Unfortunately, I forgot to top the reservoir up. I used the car very early this morning for the first time since Monday, and on the way to work the low water level warning light came on.

With no access to water I tried topping the reservoir up with the Halfords screenwash that I have in the boot, and it only took about a capful before the reservoir overflowed. It then drained away slowly, and about 30 seconds later, I was able to add another capful until the same happened. At this rate, it might take an hour to fill the reservoir up properly!

Is it possible that the gauze layer at the top of the reservoir is somehow partially blocked and not letting the fluid drain down? If so, does anyone know of a fix, other than taking a stanley knife to the gauze?

Last edited:
I've noticed this a few times over the years, I just pull out the gauze cap when refilling

The little filter thingy can get blocked up and cause the fluid to drain in to the reservoir very slowly.

I take them out and give them a clean.
Turn them upside down and poke them with a brush to help remove any crap and refit.

Seems to work.

I got a spare one, might put it in the dish washer tonight and see what happens.

Last edited:
As above, remove the gauze and give it a good scrubbing, that should do the trick. :thumbsup: I had this same issue on my Mk4 Golf.

Slightly off topic, but how did you get on with the Passat washer nozzles? I've heard they need gluing into position etc.

Az

I took the gauze filter out when I got home and inspected it. It does have some build-up of crud, but not a lot. I've rinsed it, and blown through it a few times, but it still seems to be a bit slow in allowing fluid to pass through. So, bearing in mind I live in hard water area, I am presently descaling it.

UPDATE: water is now gushing freely through the gauze filter. So if you live in a hard water area, here's a Top Gear Top Tip: de-scale your windscreen washer bottle filler neck filter.
:beerchug: