New discs and pads all round

audi-cdo

Reaction score
help , new discs and pads all round , now there a knocking sound front drivers side wheel it stops when I applied pressure on the brakes ?????????

anybody know what it could be all quality parts used as well I have jack up both wheels spinning freely could it be the spring clip on the caliper ????

Sounds as if something isn't quite fitted right. I'd have wheels off and give it a good checking over and remove and refit if necessary.

Az

I had this with some aftermarket pads, the only way I found to fix was to fit some genuine pads, and it stopped.

iv had it a few times see witch pad is moveing
i had to have a small shim put in

I've had a small rattle sometimes going over obstacles and seeing as I have MTEC discs installed I'm putting it down to them coming without the retaining screw hole. Wheel botls are tight too and this little rattle has only happened since new discs and pads have been installed.
I've since emailed MTEC and all discs now should come with said hole pre drilled.

I've got a rotational thud through my brakes when i brake, getting louder. Replacing the rears this weekend for new discs and green stuff pads, and my new larger front brakes and red stuff pads will arrive soon :) Hopefully that'll sort it.

I've had a small rattle sometimes going over obstacles and seeing as I have MTEC discs installed I'm putting it down to them coming without the retaining screw hole. Wheel botls are tight too and this little rattle has only happened since new discs and pads have been installed.
I've since emailed MTEC and all discs now should come with said hole pre drilled.

just got off the phone with mtec ordered drilled and groved disc and pads all round
had them overnighted so will check if the retaining hole is drilled in the morning
if they have no retaining hole drilled should i send them back?
o/p is your brake set up mtec or did you go another route?

My discs are MTEC, pads are Mintex.
Call and tell them you they must have the retaining hole.

I've never used the retaining screw in brake disks. The wheel does a good enough job ;)

On another note, how would a hole cause a rattle? It maybe something during the installation. Too many variables.

I have MTEC discs and Mintex pads; no retaining hole, no rattle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve220
You don't need the retaining hole or screw, it just there to make things easy when changing the wheel or pads.

All sorted now had the wheel off caliper stripped down reassembled new brake fitting spring no sound come from Osf wheel now happy as larry now

Possibly found what the rattle was, the undertray !!! It's snowing quite badly here and the weight must have added to the problem. It's the back part of the tray which is now dragging along the floor!